1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Cowboys need to explain change

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,070 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- We have to find out why the Dallas Cowboys switched from the 3-4 defense to the 4-3 defense.

The sooner, the better.

Once the answer is revealed, we'll know if a sliver of hope remains for the NFL's most dysfunctional franchise or whether this franchise is doomed to be mired in the muck of mediocrity forever.

And it's a bigger question than just whether Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett made the decision.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ed-explain-reason-change-defensive-philosophy
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If only there were a profession who's job was to closely follow/interact with the team, glean this information from sources and convey it to fans.
  3. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I don't think they owe anyone an explanation, sorry JJT
    Our 3-4 defense hasn't been anything special and we've invested heavily with limited return on that investment.

We have most of the pieces in place to switch now so I'm good with it
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,070 Likes Received
    We didn't invest heavily enough to have a real NT for that scheme.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Why? Seriously.
  6. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,964 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    What the dog said !
  7. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Agree on NT and safety for that matter, but still heavily invested at LB and CB for sure
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,650 Likes Received
    I think maybe JJT is a little late on this article as there have already been an article or two describing the reasons why the changes were made. Of course to be fair those reasons did not come directly from the mouth of JJ or JG but I imagine there were enough "leaks" to some reporters that the info that came out had a good deal of truth to it.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Sorry but I don't see the need for the Cowboys to explain. Go out get the job done 3-4 or 4-3 I could careless I just want to see the defense get turnover, did Rob give us Turnovers? NO I want to see us get after the QB was Rob Aggressive NO and I want to see the defense get off the field after 3rd down did Rob defense do that? NO

I don't see any reason the Cowboys should lay their cards down to the media at least at this stage. What would be the reason so they can pick over and second guess? I don't see that as being a benifet to the Cowboys
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Yeah, I feel as though our personnel decisions didn't adequately reflect the philosophical change. Let's hope that scheme and player acquisition coincide a little more closely this time around.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    To be honest, we pretty mug outsmart ourselves on every part of the team. Even when we have a guy like Witten, we spend two 2nd rounders of TE's. we have Miles Austin? Gotta trade for Roy Williams. No safety? Let's bring no competition in and start Alan Ball. Running a 3-4? Let's have a 290lb NT and pay him right when his production will historically begin to decline.

The list goes on and on.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Because if they don't come out and say it directly to the fans, JJT and his crew might have to perform an act called "journalism". *shudder*

Pray that never happens.
  13. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,152 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    You're right, .. there is no benefit to the Cowboys, .. they don't need to explain anything to anyone.

I'm like you, 3-4, or 4-3, or 3-3-5, .. pick one and let's get it on.

Is it too much to ask to want a defense that people talk about, and other teams respect.

Defenses like the Ravens and steelers have had in the past make a difference each and every game. Maybe they aren't always dominant, but they make plays, they create turnovers, .. they attack offenses.

Can we just be confident and aggresive on defense, instead of only sticking fingers in the dike and trying to slow them down, or just trying not give up the 'big play' ?

Let's be known for having a physical, tough, hard-nosed, smash-mouth defense. Then the offense does not have to score 25+ points a game for us to win.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We didn't outsmart anything. In fact, it was the height of simplicity. We had a Pro Bowl player and we used him. I don't think New England burns a lot of calories worrying about why the rest of the league doesn't focus their passing offense on two tight ends and a 5'9" slot WR.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Seriously, I'm sure there will be some kind of PC once everything is settled. Last year they brought Callahan and Henderson out at the same time. It doesn't make sense to do it now just a week or so before all the hires are made.

Truth is, JJT is just butt hurt that his boy Garrett has had some power taken away.
  16. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,964 Messages
    371 Likes Received
    Now thats a good answer.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Honestly, when Parcells was here, you never heard anything about the team or what was going on unless he wanted you to hear it. That's why all of the writers hated him so much.

The Cowboys, IMO, have been way to public about what their plans may be for far too long. Heck, the NFL has gotten to the point where they make you share all kinds of info through interviews etc.

Spoiled is what I would say but nobody really cares what I would say so I'll just move along.
  18. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,178 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  19. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Agree completely regarding the need for JJ's need to share his plans with the world. I get the impression that other teams can predict Jerry's moves well in advance. His need to make a splash on draft day and his open admiration of other players (See RoyWilliams WR) seem to lead to overpay for players. To his credit, he has found some talent (Romo, Austin), but is that by design or default? Sometimes, I wish Jerry would approach the off-season plans with a little less noise and have a bigger focus on making REAL change with a focus on results rather than noise.

I will give the guy his due regarding some of the draft picks, (Lee, Carter, Murray) but there are just so many misses that we wind up back where we don't belong.
  20. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    If you look at the past couple of drafts, they have been productive. (You left out Bryant, Smith, and Harris) I'm hoping the trend continues.