1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Dixon gets chance to star as starter

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Jul 24, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dixon gets chance to star as starter
    08:44 PM CDT on Saturday, July 24, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – For Tony Dixon, the news that veteran safety Darren Woodson will probably miss at least eight weeks because of a degenerative disc in his back was bittersweet.

"I told my dad that I wanted an opportunity to start, but I also wanted an opportunity to compete with Woody for the job. I never want to see anything bad happen to Woody because he has been good for Dallas, the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL," said Dixon, who was at Southwest Center Mall on Saturday morning collecting fans to pass out to senior citizens next month as part of the work he does with the Tony B. Foundation.

"Whenever someone falls, someone else has to stand up and take his place. This is my opportunity to do that."

For Dixon, a second-round pick in 2001, this is the opportunity he has wanted since the day the Cowboys drafted him.

It couldn't have come at a better time.

Dixon will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Now, he's going to get an entire training camp under the glare of the spotlight to prove he can be a capable replacement for the 35-year-old Woodson.

If Dixon plays well, there's a good chance the Cowboys will attempt to sign him to a long-term deal as Woodson's eventual replacement. If he doesn't play well, the coaching staff and scouting department will know it needs to add a safety in the draft or free agency.

Owner Jerry Jones said the club has no plans to add a veteran safety to the roster in Woodson's absence.

"I want to start. I don't want to just be a role player in this league," Dixon said. "I want them to feel comfortable with me in the lineup. I don't want them to feel like they have to rush Woody back.

"This is my fourth year. This is a great opportunity for me to see where I'm at and a great opportunity for the Joneses to see that I'm ready."

Dixon has filled in for Woodson before, when an abdominal injury forced Woodson to miss the final seven games of the 2002 season.

Dixon said he didn't start feeling comfortable in his role until the final two games.

Dixon will have to fend off Keith Davis, the only pure free safety on the roster, and Lynn Scott for the right to start alongside Roy Williams in the season opener Sept. 12 against Minnesota's potent passing attack.

"It's all up to me," Dixon said. "That's all you can ask for."

TONY DIXON

Position: Strong safety

NFL experience: 3

College: Alabama

Did you know? Led team with 20 special-teams tackles. ... Played primarily in schemes with six defensive backs last season, finishing with two tackles and three pass deflections. ... Has recorded a team-high 36 special-teams tackles over the last two seasons. ... Started the final seven games of the 2002 season. ... Three career sacks and one interception.

Printer Version
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,489 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    No offense Tony Dixon, but I have zero confidence in you. Blame Terrell Owens if you must, but you forever lost me that day. I hope someone beats you out.
  3. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hope he doesn't sprain an ankle.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,314 Messages
    3,618 Likes Received
    That makes me feel..............sick at my stomach.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,489 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    I am there with ya Big Dog.
  6. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,099 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I for one am hoping he is the answer. I would like to see some of these guys that have been on the roster for 2 to 3 years develop into players. We keep drafting guys that never develop. I can't figure out if its poor talent or poor coaching. I have never been able to figure out why this team can not develop a wide receiver. Irvin was the last receiver this team drafted and developed. Harper may be given consideration, but he didn't do much after he left Irvin. There is a long list of busts that have never made it from Kevin Williams to Corey Fleming. Guys that just sit on the roster for 2 or 3 years and get cut and are never heard from again. What concerns me is that guys like Jimmy Smith and Willie Jackson were cut and they turned out to be good to servicable receivers. I am hoping Dixon can play to his ability and become the starter this team will need after Woody retires.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,643 Messages
    2,435 Likes Received

You know there is only one guy in the secondary that I have maximum confidence in against the pass... and of course that's Newman. I wonder if he's good enough to cover all the Vikings come that first game? If not... we could see plenty-O-burn marks.
  8. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everyone is hoping Dixon is the answer, but not many think he is. After the 8 games he missed his rookie year over an ankle sprain and the dozens of blown assignments I'm surprised he's still here.
  9. BlueStar II

BlueStar II New Member

1,813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also have zero...zilch confidence in Dixon. Considering where he was drafted, and what he's done for the team so far...(ZIP) - I'm surprised he's still with us.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,276 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    Dixon is a strong safety. I hope we dont plan to play RW out of position his whole career.

I want to see Davis get the nod because he is the ball hawking one of the bunch.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    This is a post I made buried in another thread

This was posted by AdamJT13 in response which better detailed my lacking point...

I kind of had the impression from remarks made during the offseason that Woodson was going to have to fight off Dixon for playing time anyway.

I've never, never, never gotten the impression in either press conferences or offseason aquisitions that Parcells was anything other than pleased with Tony Dixon. Its the fans who have been the critical ones, and often for unspecific and vague reasons.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,810 Messages
    2,639 Likes Received
    How about that he can't cover a lick? I 'm fine with the way he plays the run and blitzes, but we've all seen him get burned in coverage, sometimes badly.

Zimmer said before Parcells got there that Dixon had to show him football was important to him, and there have been other hints that he wasn't the most dedicated player.

Who knows, maybe Parcells has been able to change that.
  13. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,299 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    I guess I don't understand why everyone is so down on him. Terrell Owens has made a lot of seasoned safeties look foolish over the years, and Dixon was just an inexperienced player that day,,, and as you've shown, he's played fairly well when called upon.

still, he is a strong safety and we need a true free safety to match up with Roy. I'm hoping Keith Davis can be that guy....
  14. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    My thought exactly Michael. Game 1 scares the heck out of me.
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,643 Messages
    2,435 Likes Received

I know it's early but I'm thinkin we get our ***** handed to us in week 1.
  16. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,704 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    Newman was outstanding as a rookie last year but he needs to improve substantially on his awareness. Most teams didn't go after him last year but Carolina showed his weaknesses in the playoff game.
  17. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    good morning!

With Minnesota's defense there will be no blowout.
    Your gloom and doom on our secondary beckons for, well, Ty Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,767 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    I have that same feeling.
  19. BlueStar II

BlueStar II New Member

1,813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was concerned before about our secondary with Hunter, now with Woody out and Dixon in there.....whoaaa.
  20. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'd rather see Davis at FS and move Roy to SS or even sign Zack Bronson.