1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: JJT: Hutchinson's days with Cowboys appear numbered

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gooch, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Gooch

Gooch E-Dog

655 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Hutchinson's days with Cowboys appear numbered
    Surplus at QB expected to leave last year's backup odd man out

11:01 PM CDT on Saturday, June 5, 2004
    By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Chad Hutchinson appears to have no future with the Cowboys.

He didn't even have a locker Saturday, though owner Jerry Jones said that was an oversight that would be corrected by today.

Still, Jones and coach Bill Parcells expressed disappointment with his play in NFL Europe.

Hutchinson, who has spent the last two weeks in Birmingham, Ala., rehabilitating a shoulder injury he suffered in Europe, went 3-5 as a starter.

He passed for 1,349 yards with five touchdowns and four interceptions, but was sacked a league-leading 25 times.

It wasn't all the offensive line's fault.

Hutchinson still holds the ball too long and struggles with his presence in the pocket, and he doesn't have the quickness to elude the rush once he realizes he's about to be sacked.

And with four quarterbacks on the roster, including Tony Romo, who's in his second season, and rookie Drew Henson, there doesn't appear to be room on the roster for Hutchinson.

"I think it was a good thing for him to go," Parcells said of Hutchinson's NFL Europe experience. "I don't think it worked as well as we would have hoped, quite honestly. ... Quite frankly it would be difficult for us to go to camp with five quarterbacks. I don't want to do that."

Hutchinson will probably be released before the end of the month unless there's an injury to one of the top four quarterbacks.

If he's released, Hutchinson will count $884,000 against the 2004 cap and $1.5 million against the 2005 cap. His $380,000 base salary is guaranteed.

"I think the best thing about having Chad in NFL Europe," said Jones, "is that it gave us some pretty good information about him."

Allen participating in minicamp

Pro Bowl guard Larry Allen, the only player who missed a significant portion of the club's off-season program, is participating in the minicamp.

Bill Parcells said his relationship with Allen hasn't changed from last season.

"He's here and he's working," Parcells said. "I expect him to participate in camp. That's the way it is."

Briefly ...

Broadcaster Pat Summerall, who had a liver transplant in April, watched practice, as did Texas Tech coach Bobby Knight.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

21,640 Messages
    2,431 Likes Received
    It's over Johnny. It's all over.
  3. BadKarma

BadKarma Active Member

1,067 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Game over...and not a moment too soon. We can finally put this project to rest and move on. At least he had the opportunities to be part of this team. Just didn't work out, Chad...sorry!
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

56,645 Messages
    9,079 Likes Received
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read between the lines to see whats about to happen sooner or later. Hutch had his time to show us what he could or couldn't do. I think we all know how that turned out. I do wish him luck in the future. Maybe he can catch on with another team and get a couple of years to work on his game. It will be an interesting side story to watch down the road.