1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: JJT: It's Time for Antonio Bryant to Step Up

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, May 19, 2004.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,352 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    It's Time for Antonio Bryant to Step Up

Antonio Bryant's antics on the sideline have become old.

The same goes for his woofing, whether it's directed toward teammates, coaches or the media.

The time has come for Bryant to prove he's the talented receiver who had the Cowboys putting him and Michael Irvin in the same conversation just two years ago.

After a good rookie year, Bryant was average last year.

He dropped too many passes. And ran too many bad routes.

He wasn't the difference-maker he kept insisting that he could be. Now, comes another chance.

Bryant has worked hard in the weight room this offseason and added another five pounds. He's spoken to coach Bill Parcells and owner Jerry Jones about the things he must do to reach his immense potential.

So now we wait. And we watch to see if he can do that.

Keyshawn Johnson is in his 30s. So is Terry Glenn. Randal Williams is unproven.

This is a thin receiving corps. One injury would wreck this unit as it stands.

Bryant is the wildcard.

If he can recapture the form he often flashed as rookie -- whether it was his last-second leaping touchdown to beat Carolina or his 170-yard effort in the finale to beat Washington -- then he has a long-term future in Dallas.

If not, the Cowboys will be looking for another young receiver next year.

Years ago, former coach Tom Landry told Parcells that if a player can't prove to him that he can be a difference-maker by his third season, it's best to release that player, move on and take a chance on another who could.

This is Bryant's third year. It's time for him to prove he can be a difference-maker.

COWBOYS Q & A

Q: Have people totally forgotten about who's going to be the second corner this year? How's Pete Hunter's off-season going?

Bernardo Mainou, Chapel Hill, N.C.

TAYLOR: I don't think anyone is overlooking the importance of replacing Mario Edwards, but there's no way to know how Pete Hunter is going to do. I'm not really going to focus on him until the preseason begins. That's because all of the drills in training camp are really designed for the receiver to succeed. Most of the time there's no pass rush and the cornerback is always in man-to-man, so the receiver and the quarterback have a significant advantage. In preseason games, there's a pass rush. The receiver usually doesn't know what coverage is being played and doesn't know your favorite moves. It provides a much better laboratory to figure out whether someone can play or not.

•••

Q: I read that Larry Allen refused a trade to Detroit. How can an NFL player who doesn't have a guaranteed contract refuse a trade? Also, aren't no-trade clauses omitted in the NFL?

Jason Harter

TAYLOR: Allen is supposed to earn $3.5 million this year. Detroit wanted to restructure his contract to fit him under its salary cap. Because Allen only wanted to be traded to Oakland, he declined to restructure his deal, thus voiding the potential trade. There aren't many no-trade clauses in the NFL, but a few players have them. Emmitt Smith had one. So did Troy Aikman and Rocket Ismail.

•••

Q: I don't understand why we signed Troy Hambrick to a contract and then released him. Was the contract worth so little that it doesn't affect our cap room?

Brian Gallogly, Boston

TAYLOR: Signing the contract was really just a procedural move. He didn't receive a signing bonus, so the deal had no impact against the cap. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed in most cases, so if the player didn't get a signing bonus, it doesn't cost anything to release him.

•••

Q: I like Quincy and want to see him do well because he has shown how much he cares about his job and the Cowboys with his work ethic. When I hear people ask what he needs to work on, I hear this standard answer: "He should work on cutting down on turnovers." That is like saying a basketball player should make more shots or a baseball player should hit the ball better. So my question is, what kind of throws does Quincy struggle with?

Jason Harter, Dallas

TAYLOR: That's one of the best questions I've had in awhile. Bill Parcells has talked about it several times, but Carter has made most of his mistakes when he's trying to make a play that isn't there. It's the kind of play that happens when he's on the run and suddenly thinks he sees a receiver break free and he throws the ball without seeing the safety break on it. If he eliminates those types of impulse throws, I think he'll be OK. He must also improve his mechanics. He had a couple of interceptions because the ball sailed on him. If his mechanics are consistently sound, that shouldn't happen.

•••

Q: I'm a big Notre Dame fan and have followed the university's players into pro football since 1969. I was very surprised that the Cowboys chose to pass on several of the "higher-rated" college backs to take Julius Jones in the second round. Does Coach Parcells really believe Jones can make the impact Dallas needs to go to the next level? All signs point to that being the case, but what have you heard?

John Cooney, Philadelphia

TAYLOR: The Cowboys had Kevin Jones at the top of their draft board when it came to running backs. But the Cowboys didn't think Kevin Jones was so good that they could pass up the opportunity to get Julius Jones and a first-round pick from Buffalo next season. Parcells thinks Julius Jones will be a standout, but we'll find out for sure when the season starts.

•••

Q: Can you help me understand a little more clearly why Troy Hambrick was released?

Dustin Maycroft

TAYLOR: Hambrick was released for two reasons. One, he wanted to be released. He didn't think he was going to make the team, so he thought it was better to be released right now. That way, he could find another team and learn the offense before training camp, which would give him a better chance to make the final roster. Secondly, the Cowboys know exactly what Hambrick can do. They think he's a solid, backup running back. But they wanted to give a younger player such as Erik Bickerstaff an opportunity to prove what he can do. You never know how a player will perform until you give him a chance. It's easy to go with veterans because they make fewer mistakes than young players. Now, Bickerstaff and Aveion Cason have a chance to prove they can be big-time players.

•••

Q: At this point, how can anyone see Dallas higher than third in the NFC East?

Ron Haas

TAYLOR: Ron, don't forget that you have to play the games. That's what great about sports. A great roster doesn't make a champion. I had Dallas pegged for fourth last year with a record of 5-11, but they played better than I anticipated and won twice as many games. You have no idea who's going to get hurt. Or who's going to become a star. Or what team is going to have great chemistry. Or what team is going to fall apart because the players can't stand each other. On paper, it looks like Dallas might finish third or fourth, but what if Julius Jones is this year's Clinton Portis and Keyshawn Johnson thrives under Parcells and the defense finishes ranked No.1 again? If all of that happens, they might do a little better than third. The point is that no one knows, but we'll start to get some answers in the next three months.

•••

Q: Any chance the Cowboys bring in Eddie George if he's cut?

Scotty

TAYLOR: I don't think so. He's old (30) and beat up and still wants to be a starter. If he were any good, Tennessee would gladly pay him $2 million a year to be their runner.

•••

Q: A couple of weeks ago, you wrote an article about Drew Henson that said if he looks good now, wait until preseason. That's understandable, but you said that if he did not look so good, it would be something to worry about or have concerns with. I only bring this up because the press was talking about how bad Eli Manning was doing in the Giants' first minicamp. Why should we worry if Henson did poorly and the other quarterbacks did not?

Chad Tidwell, Scott AFB, Ill.

TAYLOR: The main point I was trying to make is that it's waaaaaaayyyyyy too early to try to judge whether Drew Henson is going to be a great quarterback this year or in the future. I don't worry about any player this time of year unless he's injured or way overweight. There are still nearly three months until training camp begins and four months until the season starts. That's almost an eternity in the NFL. This is the time of year to be optimistic and assume your team has a chance to win the Super Bowl. Trust me, reality awaits in just a few months.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    I said this a month or so ago and it went over like a lead balloon.
  3. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,892 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    I still believe that Carter will have a very good season as the Cowboys QB.

I believe he will run more when flushed from the pocket, rather than making the ill-advised throw that gets intercepted. I also think he'll greatly improve his TD/INT ratio.

Maybe Henson will be a superstar, maybe not...it's all conjecture and hope.

I think there's more chance that Carter improves and holds the starting job and Henson sits for 2-3 years or possibly forever.

WE'll know soon enough, at any rate.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,587 Messages
    6,137 Likes Received
    It is easier to dismiss Carters flaws that it is to deal with them. Carter has been making many of the same mistakes from day 1 until now over 3 years latter and still does not seem to get it. Carter is now heading into his 4th year and he needs to show vast improvement in his game
  5. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's definitely time to step it up for AB, he has the athletic ability, he just needs to get his mind right. I think with him being a year older and the fact that he has added some muscle will definitely be a plus for him. Like JJT said, this is a do or die year for him. He either needs to step it up this year or he will be getting replaced by our 1st round draft pick next year.

BTW, I saw Aveion Cason and Erik Bickerstaff Friday night at Pappadeaux's and they were looking good. Cason has definitely put on some pounds. I asked Erik if he missed Ham, and he said absolutely not, and that he's ready for the competition. We'll see...
  6. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    Good info.

Have there been any more incidents with Key and other players? Are things between him and Q still frigid, of have they worked it out? What about with him and AB?
  7. Brokejumper

Brokejumper New Member

138 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have been over this ground before (it must be srping) but frankly, I think the victim thing for criticism of Quincy is overdone. I know you have had some ugly moments, but on the whole it does not seem quite as bad as all that.

In any case, Quincy has been a project from day one. His mechanics improved considerably last year and between that and the impulse throws, I see little reason why some of those can not be fixed. He will still probably force balls, but if he just cuts down a bit I think he will be ok.

Whether we agree with the idea or not, the Cowboys have tried to role the dice on a series of project QB's looking to get value. Henson is the same way. He may, or may not be anything more then another roll of the dice. Quincy has proved he can win in the league. Hopefully he will win a bit more.
  8. BrownSugar

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haven't heard anything else about Key, so hopefully all is well. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!
  9. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    You're certainly entitled to feel that way. Walk a mile in my shoes I think you'd feel different.

I simply disagree. To me accuracy is everything for a QB and mechanics are what make you accurate. Just my opinion.

I agree we have rolled the dice trying to get value. I absolutely think Henson is a roll of the dice. For the first time since we have taken this approach to finding a QB I think we rolled good. Time will tell.
  10. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    I hope no news is good news in this case.
  11. CoCo1

CoCo1 New Member

380 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Very nice post.

Sure wish that those passionate in their support of QC, and those passionate about his faults, could take a more balanced approach like this one.

Not suggesting that Henson & QC are one in the same. They're not. They're very different. But the point that both are projects, as was CH, is right on the money. Right or wrong that is the path Dallas has chosen for now in the post-Aikman era.
  12. hockix

hockix Active Member

1,017 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice to have news from you lady.
    It's always a pleasure to read your inside informations.
    Thanks

It is hard to understand what hapened to AB last year.
    He droped so many easy balls.
    We are pretty thin at WR and we really need him.
  13. BrownSugar

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanx, no problem! I think that the problem with AB last year had a lot to do with his immaturity, cause I heard from quite a few guys that he was very immature. That's why I think with him being a year older will definitely better the cause!!
  14. MikeD17

MikeD17 Benched

678 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brown sugar is that you in that picture ? if so your Hot
  15. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I sure hope you are right. Some guys never seem to mature. I hope he is not one of those who career never seems to get going because of immaturity.

Not that AB seems to be this bad, but J.R. Rider of the NBA comes to mind as a guy with all the talent in the world, but who just won't allow himself to be a successful individual.
  16. Hostile

119,427 Messages
    3,700 Likes Received
    That sums up my feeligns perfectly. With 2 WRs over 30 if he doesn't have the backbone to focus on the job at hand we might be in for a long struggle. That is exactly why if we have any shot at Mike Williams I hope we jump all over it.
  17. trickblue

29,352 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Two things stick-out to me in this article... and it makes you wonder how much JJT pays attention...

He states that AB has put on 5 pounds in the weight room... while AB says he has put on 10 pounds... and that, in muscle, is a considerable difference... since he played at 192 last year... I like the sound of 202 much better...

He stated AB needs to come back to his "170-yard effort in the finale to beat Washington"... as pointed out by someone on another board... that was Snyder's lone victory vs. the revered Star...

I'm not nit-picking... but rather wondering just how much attention JJT is paying to his columns... he did call himself an "expert" on the Cowboys after all... is he just jotting things down from his head sans research?
  18. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No doubt Hostile, if the cowboys get a shot at Williams, they had better be all over that one. I'm trying to think when you would pass up a guy that is supposed to have top 10 talent.

Whatever the case, the Cowboys don't seem to be in that situation, IMO.
  19. MikeD17

MikeD17 Benched

678 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    how does the supplemental draft work? what place do we draft in ?? last time i think we drafted a guy from here was when we got steve walsh i think
  20. trickblue

29,352 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Check out this thread on Mike Williams... there is plenty of info on the supplemental draft...