1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: It's Time for Antonio Bryant to Step Up

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, May 19, 2004.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,284 Messages
    1,754 Likes Received
    Your right about that. I can remember serveral season that LT would hold out just so he could miss most of the training camps with the Giants. He did not admit to that until he retired from the game.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,348 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    Regardless of who said what, I think there is validity to the comparison here. King is a player with simular skills in a simular situation while in Tampa. I think Carter might have a little better arm but then, the point can be made that King took care of the ball much better. Either way, I see where this can be a fair comparision.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

34,348 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    This is a comparison I often hear as well. To me, I don't really think it's a good one. Three distinct differences IMO. Brooks has never thrown more INTs then TDs. Quincy has never thrown for more TDs then INTs in his entire career. Quincy's highest QB rating ever was 72.3 in 2002. Aaron Brooks has never had a QB rating below 76.4, a full four points higher. Lastly, Brooks iis a real threat when he breaks the pocket. He can make things happen with his arm, down field or he can take it to the house. Carter can not. I just think Brooks is a more talented player. Not Carter's fault by any means. Just the differences I see in the two players that make me think this is a bad comparison.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I think that comparison said that Q was likely to be no better than Brooks when he reaches full potential. It then asked if that was good enough for everyone.

Really, it was well done. Wish I knew where to find it or who posted it.
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    I agree with this 100%. I could be wrong about QC and if so, I will gladly eat my words since Dallas would have an answer at QB, but I just don't see that something special from QC. He doesn't seem to have any one trait that makes him great. He just doesn't seem to have anything that makes me step back and say "Wow, what a player". The QB touches the ball on every offensive play. I want a guy that is a serious difference maker at the position. A guy who inspires confidence in his team and elevates their performance by elevating his own. I just haven't seen that from QC. Maybe it will come, Tsgt Hendricks is right in saying it does take QBs longer to develop. QC will get his shot this year, but if his season is similar to last year, it will be open competition between him and Henson (and whoever else), come TC 2005.
  6. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Thanks.

Off the subject, your sig line is a riot. That's just aces man.
  7. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Thanks, it gave me a chuckle. Dave Barry is one funny guy.
  8. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think he was talking about Keyshawn Johnson and Carter issues. Didn't Brownsugar say they had beef with each other at one time?
  9. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    He was. I caught it later and clarified. Thanks.
  10. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    dang your fast, I was trying to make a quick edit. :D
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,348 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    Well, based on the numbers posted last year from Brooks, I'd say yes but the problem I have with that is that we are basing these assumptions of the premius, Carter will eventually be as good or better then Brooks. I believe the logic here is flawed.

Brooks broke into the league in 1999 but he never played in a game, never threw a pass. 2000 he started 5 games and played in 8. He finished with a QB rating of 85.7. The highest mark Carter has ever posted is 72.3 in 2002. Brooks has, IMO, continued to improve over the last 4 years. Carter, IMO, has not done that to the extend of posting numbers that you can look at and consider acceptable. I am not saying that Carter will never do this but at this point, he has not shown he can do so. When you watched Brooks in his first year with New Orleans, you knew he was a special player. It was very easy to see the talent IMO. He has a stronger arm, he has better mobility and actual rushing ability. He his very dangerous when he breaks containment. He has the arm to make plays down field while scrambling or he can take it to the house himself. He has that kind of ability. Carter has never shown that kind of talent. This is not a knock on Carter by any means. There are only a couple of QBs in the NFL that have the kind of natural ability Brooks has and Carter is not one of them IMO.
  12. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    If I would just learn to read, no problem. :D
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,181 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    :mad: I was disappointed that Bryant didn't perform up to my expectations last season but he was still a contributor to the team and talk about possibly releasing him next season is a bit rediculous and premature. Just compare him to what the rest of his draft class has done in their two years to find that he isn't the only one that hasn't turned it on yet. None of the guys drafted ahead of him have lit it up.

Stallworth 2002-42 594 14.1 8TD
    Stallworth 2003-25 485 19.4 3TD

Lelie 2002-35 525 15.0 2TD
    Lelie 2003-37 628 17.0 2TD

J. Walker 2002-23 319 13.9 1TD
    J. Walker 2003-41 716 17.5 9TD

J. Gaffney 2002-41 483 11.8 1TD
    J. Gaffney 2003-34 402 11.8 2TD

J. Reed 2002-37 509 13.8 2TD
    J. Reed 2003-58 588 10.1 2TD

T. Carter 2002-2 37 18.5 0TD
    T. Carter 2003-26 309 11.9 0TD

A. Davis 2002-37 420 11.4 6TD
    A. Davis 2003-40 576 14.4 5TD

R. Caldwell 2002-22 208 9.5 3TD
    R. Caldwell 2003-8 80 10.0 OTD

A. Randle El 2002-47 489 10.4 2TD
    A. Randle El 2003-37 369 9.8 1TD

A. Bryant 2002-44 733 16.7 6TD
    A. Bryant 2003-39 550 14.1 2TD

D. Branch 2002-43 489 11.4 2TD
    D. Branch 2003-57 803 14.1 3TD
  14. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    good post Speedkilz. when you show those numbers it looks like AB is not doing as bad as we thought. But I think one of the things that works against Bryant is the added baggage of his high maintenance attitude.

If you have those kind of attitude problems you have to produce at a high level. No way Parcells would have put up with the antics of a Lawrence Taylor if he played like the average good LB of that era.
  15. JDSmith

JDSmith New Member

1,669 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still think the best comparison for QC is Jake Plummer. I am hoping that Quincy grows beyond that because I've never been a Plummer fan - time will tell.
  16. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I've seen that comparison as well. I'm with you, not a Plummer fan.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,021 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    OK let me ask you this:
    Has any QB who started 17 games as a true 3rd year QB, i.e. not some guy who spent 5 years in another pro league, EVER been cut while under a contract paying less than 2 mil per year?

There are a large handful of guys on the team with 3 or more years experience who dont even start for the team. The question is whether or not they can contribute to wins and QC clearly did that in even the most avid haters minds.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,021 Messages
    960 Likes Received

I think thats fair as well, thus far.
    Plummer looked pretty dang good last year when healthy. But he isnt carrying a team by himself.
  19. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    You've got me mixed up with someone else bro. You're way out in left field on this one.

I don't recall ever saying Carter should be cut. Where does that accusation come from?

I don't recall ever saying I hate him. Where does that accusation come from?

I said some real nice things about him in this thread. They don't matter at all? I am judged "hater" based solely on doubt?

The finger pointing is missing the mark. It's not even close.

I have said that if Henson looks really good, it wouldn't surprise me if Carter was shopped in a trade. That I admit to saying.

I have said, I am not impressed. That I admit to saying.

How do those equate to the accusations you just leveled at me I really can't say. I'll need your help on that.

So, let's talk about the guys who aren't starting who have 3 years or more on this team. I have not even been talking about them, but we need a segue I guess. Take the focus off of the real issue.

If you aren't good enough to start and someone better can be brought in, bring him in. It is really that easy for me. No tears shed, no hand wringing, no lost sleep. Make the team better. Period.

It doesn't even take 3 years for me in some cases. Let's say we stumbled across a young QB better than Romo. Romo's only had 1 year. I am perfectly fine with him being released if the new guy is better. Doesn't have to be a young QB either. Bring in Vinny and he's better, bye bye Romo. Good luck. Thank you.

Let me give you an example to really chew on JT. I live in Tucson, AZ. I am an Arizona Wildcats season ticket holder. I worked for that program as a recruiter and coach. One of the players I got to know pretty well was Mike Lucky. I consider him a friend. Not a player I like, a friend.

When we drafted Jason Witten I knew Lucky was gone, and I was fine with it. I care more about the team than I do for any one player.

I do NOT get the fanatical loyalty and I doubt I ever will. If you are that crazy about Carter I am fine with it. I do not see why it has to bug you that I am not.

He's had his 3 years and hasn't proven he is a difference maker. If we move on, so be it. It looks very much to me like the organization is preparing to do just that.
  20. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Did I say he was? Where are you getting these ideas?