1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Jay Ratliff has become a liability for Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,015 Messages
    9,097 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- This should be Jay Ratliff's last season wearing a Dallas Cowboys uniform.

His production has decreased each of the last four seasons. He's missed seven of the Cowboys' 13 games this season and was out for the offseason with plantar fascia.

You never want a player counting $5.2 million against the salary cap and earning $2 million this season -- that's $117,647 per week -- to have more personal fouls than sacks.

Well, that's Ratliff's current reality.

Now, we find out he had a verbal confrontation with Jerry Jones in the locker room after the win over the Philadelphia Eagles on Dec. 2. In the locker room after the game Jones encouraged Ratliff to return from his groin injury, prompting Ratliff to yell at Jerry before teammates intervened, according to sources.

Players had to restrain the 6-4, 303-pound Ratliff from the 6-1, 185-pound Jones.

Just so you know, Ratliff is 31 and Jerry is 70.

What a chump move. There's no other word for it, really.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...d-say-goodbye-nt-jay-ratliff-declining-skills
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,788 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    That is a suck up piece by JJT. He has no know journalistic traits anyway, he like People Magazine.
  3. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Ratliff has been known to snarl at the mediots.

It sure seems JJT had a little extra venom going back the other direction.

I have mixed feelings on this story because questioning a guy that's injured starts to get into the realm of questioning a man's heart, his character, his manhood. And hearing that from a clown like Jerry likely doesn't go over real well.

I can understand how Ratliff might have felt.

On the other hand...you just can't do that. Period.
  4. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,692 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    How the hell would JJT know Jerry is 185 pounds?
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,281 Messages
    7,038 Likes Received
    I don't have an opinion about this story until a source and some details come out. JJT must be pretty sure Rat's on his way out, though, if he's openly calling him a chump.

There's a confrontation I'd pay good money to see.
  6. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,707 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Whether it's the NFL or the corporate world, you can't expect to keep your job after confronting the owner of the organization you work for like that. Rat is an idiot for behaving that way. Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Cowboys anymore.
  7. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,258 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    Good teams use their cap money wisely. This is another good example of how there will be dead cap money on the books which prevent signing high quality players to the roster. Ratliff is on the way out.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,203 Messages
    5,684 Likes Received
    i would love to see a cage btw ratliff and the whole espn dallas crew. he seems to hate all of them.
  9. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    The reality of moving on from Ratliff should have happened a few seasons ago. Everyone suggested moving him to defensive end, and that was at least something worth exploring, but his shelf life at nose tackle was clearly coming to an end, and we did nothing to properly replace him.

We're starting to get to that point with DeMarcus Ware as well. People scoffed at the idea of trading him, but I would definitely do it. If you can get some combination worth more than just a first, I would do it.

Poor timing for the example, but look at the Texans without Mario Williams.

Our defense can't be built around Ware and Spencer, it's just not productive or financially sound.
  10. dboyz

dboyz Active Member

804 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    JJT has become a liability to journalism.

:)
  11. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,213 Messages
    1,256 Likes Received
    Funny how there was a different tune when Ratliff came back and dominated before getting re-injured.

I think the team is suffering from him being injured, but we also are suffering from Costa, Murray, Lee, Carter, Scandrick and Church all being out as well. And they had better think twice now about what they are going to do if they release Ratliff given Brent's situation.

YR
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If JJT is calling him washed up, expect a dominating season from Ratliff next year. Hopefully not with the Patriots.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    People were calling Witten washed up and in dire need of being replaced in the off-season after Week 3. We don't see those opinions much anymore, since he's now leading all NFL TEs in most major statistical categories.

Which is to say, there's not exactly a lot of rational thought and level headed longterm vision by the fans and media surrounding this team.
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,018 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    He called him that because that's exactly what he is.

By several accounts all Jerry said to him were three words: "we need you". If he doesn't like it than maybe he should give Jerry his money back, because at this point he is stealing it anyhow.

Sorry, I have lost complete respect for Ratliff. Love or hate Jerry, you look like a big dumb bully by screaming at a seventy year-old man who really didn't say anything to deserve it. Chump move.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,015 Messages
    9,097 Likes Received
    Jerry confirmed this incident today, per Calvin Watkins on twitter.
  16. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,066 Messages
    1,742 Likes Received
    Must have missed the 'washed-up' posts, glad I did. And good thing for Witten that - unlike Ratliff - he actually came back and played and showed what he can do.

Obviously.

Fans are referring to Ratliff as 'dominant' when the guy's stat line is a flat line.

He hasn't played much at all and when he has he hasn't been the difference-maker he's being paid to be.

Good thing for me that I'm not invested in a Ratliff jersey to cloud my judgement.

I can see that he's not worth close to what he's being paid and with a bad attitude on top of it needs to go be someone else's problem.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,177 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    I see you got to the gut of the story!
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    We "needed" DeMarco Murray after 2 weeks, not 6. The Cowboy needs didn't make his toe heal any faster.
  19. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    He works carnivals on weekends.
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,827 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    Ratliff may not be worth his contract, but did you seriously not see a difference when he was in the line-up?

Of course there are many variables involved, but I thought it was pretty apparent that having Ratliff made a noticeable difference.