1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Jay Ratliff has become a liability for Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 10, 2012.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,176 Messages
    2,382 Likes Received
    Money makes 'em soft.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,150 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    I think you would have to define your parameters for 'noticeable difference'.

And then compare those findings to what the player is costing against the salary cap.

And determine for yourself if you feel the team is getting a sufficient return on investment.

I did that for myself and found that in my opinion the answer is absolutely not.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,043 Messages
    7,768 Likes Received
    I wasn't a fan of extending Rat...I'd have franchised him and then let him walk this season, and I thought last season he'd really lost a step. At his age, DTs almost never continue to produce, much less get better after the significant elbow injury. You can't count on many players like LaRoi Glover justifying that second-contract premium on your roster after the body breaks down.

That said, Rat was an absolute beast in limited action this year. I was pleasantly shocked how good he looked early on. I don't know what the stat line says for the games he played, but if he's back and healthy, we definitely need him. The only shot this team's got against good teams is to get ahead of them on the scoreboard and make teams one-dimensional, and then put pressure on their QBs. Rat could be huge in that regard if he's able to come back. Especially with Brees and RGIII coming up in a few weeks.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,176 Messages
    2,382 Likes Received
    You can only franchise one player, and we used that on Spencer.

I just don't know why we re-signed him when he was already under a friendly contract. There was no need.
  5. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    How many games has Witten missed? Man you can't even make that comparison. Sorry, but I am not w/ you in this one.

Comparing Rat to Witt is a laughable offense.
  6. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :eek: Gittem Stash!
  7. Idgit

32,043 Messages
    7,768 Likes Received
    Honestly, I don't remember the specifics of what I thought (though I'd also have signed Spencer instead of franchising him). Did he have another year left? I might have thought to let him play out the string with the option of franchising him and letting him walk a year later if he was still playing good football. Generally, though, he was too old and too likely to get hurt to extend, and we were being generous to a player we'd had at a very affordable price in his previous contract.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,697 Messages
    1,500 Likes Received
    Easily one of the dumbest extensions Jerry has handed out, and there have been many.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    yea, if memory serves me correctly, he extended him coming off a sub par season.

If AdamJT13 is still around, I wonder how much Ratliff would count if we release him post june first. Him and Doug Free.
  10. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Why would you have franchised him?

He still had 2 years left on his deal when Dallas gave him the extension. I believe it would have been 2011 and 2012.

So, you could have just let him play out his original contract if you were going to let him walk after this season.

I just never understood the contract extension unless it was a reward for outperforming his previous deal.
  11. Idgit

32,043 Messages
    7,768 Likes Received
    I mentioned above, I should have said 'play out the balance of the contract and then franchise him if you wanted another year and he was still playing at a high level.' But the point's the same: I agree, the Ratliff extension was a mistake.
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,674 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    This hasn't hit nflnetwork..or espn?
  13. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,150 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    I'm with you here.

It was not a good move. I agree with everything you say above and would add this. Ratliff is very undersized for his position of 3-4 nose tackle, so the clock is ticking even moreso on his career because of that fact. Normal-sized 3'4 NT's take a beating, it's even more amplified when you're undersized.

The numbers don't back that up at all.

He's got 16 total tackles (10 solo and 6 assists) and 1 pass defensed in the 6 games he played.

We differ in that I'm not holding out hope for the playoffs, so I would prefer to make long-term moves and decisions based on next year and the years following.
  14. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I don't think you can move forward with Ratliff after this year. IIRC his cap hit for 2013 is something like $7 million if he plays here. There is no way that Ratliff is worth 7$ million at this point in his career.

Craig
  15. tunahelper

tunahelper Well-Known Member

3,915 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Get rid of Rat for more than just this reason. His play has declined, he is over paid and gets hurt too much. Time for his departure.
  16. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    And Free, too. If you look at his outrageous base salary next season there's no way the Cowboys can possibly keep him.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    This is the first time that I can remember that I've ever agreed with JJT.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Using boxscore stats in lieu of film study and grading to evaluate interior defensive line play is probably your first problem. Oh that's right, you don't really watch film. My bad.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,807 Messages
    5,960 Likes Received

I wonder if JJT had to get help dividing 2M by 17 on a calculator?

The local media hates Ratliff just like they hated Deion and some other past players that wouldn't play their game.

JJT = Idiot
  20. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,924 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I'd really hate to create another hole on the roster by releasing Ratliff. He hasn't been our problem on DL.