1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: JJT: Jay Ratliff has become a liability for Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 10, 2012.

1. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,871 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Let me caveat that by saying I don't want to create a hole before the draft. Depending on how the offseason goes, his loss could be mitigated.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,146 Messages
    2,989 Likes Received
    It appears that most or all of Ratliff's 2013 base salary is guaranteed. There is a thread or two that discusses it in detail.
  3. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,467 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    You don't give a nearly 30 yr old lineman a hefty new contract. That was a horrible mistake, and no matter how many times Jones has made it, he does it yet again.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,133 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received

Does 'the film' show sacks that don't exist?

If so, I'd get your film checked.

I'm not the overpaid guy with 6 games of no impact plays to show for it making $6 million a year while screaming at my boss.

So, I'm not the one with the 'problem'.

But you keep enjoyin' that 'film'!

Maybe if you squint hard enough, you'll see a big play?

And I'd save it if I were you, don't think you'll be getting too much more of it...
  5. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,245 Messages
    1,200 Likes Received
    True but it just has to happen. Ratliff has been injured way too much over the past couple yrs. Playing a posistion that usually requires a bigger body has taken its toll.
  6. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,869 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    He has 'seen' him naked.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    They show plays where a interior defensive linemen disrupted the play, which is why coaches and NFL people watch film, and why dimwit fans just blindly regurgitate talkingpoints from the collective hivemind on messageboards.
  8. stasheroo

17,133 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Yeah, 'disruptive' to the tune of zero impact plays.

"Disrupted" - a nice ambiguous term to use where no actual production exists.

And you can't find a single statistic that shows Ratliff made even the slightest bit of difference - none.

Not only didn't he make any plays himself, but his "disruption" didn't result in increased plays for anyone else or the defense as a whole either.

He didn't matter.

Except on payday.

But enjoy the film!
  9. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,810 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    So is Jay Ratliff this years veteran whipping boy who has been nothing but a professional here? Last year it was Newman. I guess Newman is gone so its Ratliff's turn. I wonder when will Ware get his turn?
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,007 Likes Received
    Of course. You know how it is around here -- when a player is on the way out for whatever reason, he has to be turned in a cancerous pariah. Gurode, Leonard Davis, Newman... Always the same story.
  11. stasheroo

17,133 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Missing those fellas are ya?

Fact is that the 'bad fans' are right about the players at least a year earlier than the 'braintrust'.
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,007 Likes Received
    Didn't say anyone was a bad fan... That's for others.

I have noticed over the years that you have an uncommon obsession with player salaries and "underperforming" what they're getting paid. Why? In this system every player is "overpaid" or "underpaid". Who performs exactly to his salary? Dez has been drastically underpaid the last month or so. But so what? That's the way it is on every single team in the NFL.

And the ones most likely to be overpaid are the vets who have gotten a contract extension. But what do you do, never give people decent contract extensions? Because they're all going to "underperform" at some point. Ware isn't "living up to his contract" this year, is he? Why not trash him, too?

Bottom line is that Ratliff has been one of the toughest, hardest-playing, best players on this team. He's been hurt, which happens to NFL players. And his contract is hardly crippling this team re: the cap. So why so upset?
  13. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,871 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Good post.
  14. stasheroo

17,133 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    I don't know if I would call it an 'obsession', but I do have a healthy realization that there is only so much salary cap money to go around and whatever you pay 'Player A' is that much less you can pay 'Player B'.

And unfortunately, this business often goes in the direction of 'diminishing returns'. Contracts invariably grow while age catches up and productivity inevitably wanes.

And you reach that point where the player costs more than he produces and the current arrangement cannot continue. It's not personal, it's business.

I don't put the players, their contracts, and their productivity, in the same universe, much less the same conversation.

I would wholly disagree about his contract, he's making vastly more than what he is contributing.

I don't solely blame him, but the contract situation was a mistake that cannot continue.

And you can do your own research, we have been dealing with deteriorating production for the past several years now.

It has reached a point where the contract is a liablity rather than an asset.

The team needs that money to fill other needs.
  15. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Witten doesn't play nose-tackle nore does he need leverage to deal with huge lineman, meaning the issue with his groin isn't minor. yeah, comparing Rat to Witt is a laughable offense. Witten would be broken in half having to deal with what Rat deals with in a game.

He may line up next to JJ Watt next year, if things progress the way they seem to be doing. I'm sure Wade will take him pretty quickly.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how you let rat walk when we just lost his replacement. It is a bad contract but I'm not sure we have the ammo to replace him and address other holes on the team. And to those that think he didnt have an impact when he was playing......come on.
  17. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    As an Objective fan I have to say that there is some truth to this....
  18. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,277 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    I think the big issue is that the contract extension was unnecessary....and continued a trend of bad contracts handed out by the Dallas front office.

And, when players get to a certain age, they tend to get hurt more. Especially when they are undersized playing in the middle of the line.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,959 Messages
    3,903 Likes Received
    Don't sell them short. 'Bad fans' are often right about players several years earlier than the braintrust is. They were all over Witten being done earlier in the season, for example. And some of them have already identified what's wrong with Demarcus Ware after just a few short weeks without a sack. They nailed Terrence Newman and Roy Williams several years before any of the coaches saw it. They got Tony Romo back when he wasn't a good enough leader, and they're hot on the trail of Brandon Carr as we speak.
  20. stasheroo

17,133 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    Keep it straight.

Those are the 'even worse' fans!

:D