1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: JJT: Shift in philosophy to not pursue older free agents the right call

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 31, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,319 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Since NFL free agency began in March, the Dallas Cowboys have passed on tackles Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston. The same goes for safety Charles Woodson and linebacker Brian Urlacher.Hallelujah.
    Finally, someone at Valley Ranch gets it.

You don't win in the NFL by signing over-the-hill faux stars, paying solid players like they're superstars or benching young athletes for dudes who are a notch or two above serviceable.

Jerry Jones has always lived by this credo, so it's unlikely his philosophy has changed.

And since Stephen Jones hasn't talked Jerry out of too many bad ideas lately, let's not give him any credit for this subtle shift in protocol.
    Give the credit to Jason Garrett, because it falls in line with the way he wants to build a football team.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...wboys-were-right-not-pursue-older-free-agents
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

12,076 Messages
    2,047 Likes Received
    So JJT likes something the Cowboys are doing, it must be because of Garrett. When he hates something the Cowboys are doing, that's all Jerry.

.. and the media wonders why fans look down on them so often ..

/reality
  3. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,376 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    I've been very critical of Garrett, but I do believe in his RKG approach, and this approach as well. If he can make some marked improvement as a HC during game time, I'll be okay with him coming back next year. We've already had to live and lose while he learned on the job. Might as well not waste that if he proves capable of growing with the job.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

42,886 Messages
    2,403 Likes Received
    We are gambling that either Parnell or Free can do RT acceptably. Probably not a bad call at this time.

And when looking at how we need to save Cap space for the future makes it more understandable.

On the other hand the guard situation frankly looks worse. That is the place I would have liked to have brought in just ONE QUALITY FA GUARD.
  5. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,630 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    I really don't take any stock in what JJT says, even if I agree with it, because he seems to be one of the least informed talking heads around.
  6. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,112 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Yup! This exactly.

Even though I agree with the sentiments expressed by JJT here, you could also point to the Ravens, and what their 'old, pricey' lineman pickup did for the team.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

42,886 Messages
    2,403 Likes Received
    How many of our local mediots have a brain?

Sturm seems to; Broaddus has been there and seems to have one. Outside of them?
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    People can rail on JJT, and he is an idiot, but I've seen many baseless claims remarkably similar to this on here.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

18,402 Messages
    3,916 Likes Received
    I'll say it before and I will say it again. JJT is a lazy journalist.

Stephen Jones in various interviews before, during, and after the draft answered tons of questions regarding the cap. One of the things he said repeatedly was that in today's salary cap era you have to play young players.

I have seen JJT on the sidelines during training camp and hes typically knocking off on the phone or yucking it up with someone on the sideline. He seems ignorant to the game of football because he reads more like a gossip column than a sports editorial.

In this particular instance though he was either too lazy to listen to the interviews, too incompetent to put 2 and 2 together, or he was intentionally misleading us such to get a rise out of someone.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

42,306 Messages
    6,266 Likes Received
    If it creates debate then fine plus it's the off season so I read as much as I can get my hands on. PS: I like Archer as well.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,797 Messages
    3,091 Likes Received
    As a general rule, this is true because football is a young mans game but there are extenuating circumstances

We have a older QB who basically has 2-3 years and we have dire needs on the ol where older players can be productive and such players were (and still are) out there

I don't agree with not bringing in a vet OG and OT
    I don't want to waste another's year of romos career on a subpar OL when we can resolve it fairly readily and cheaply

Rest, I can live with
  12. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

23,429 Messages
    2,461 Likes Received
    Well, Jerry does tend to hold onto older/aging players too long. :(
  13. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

14,057 Messages
    1,142 Likes Received
    That would be fine and dandy if at least two of these three could actually start:
    Leary, Costa, and/or Kowalski...

Oh I almost forgot Parnell over Free...
  14. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,123 Messages
    2,593 Likes Received
    When the costs are basically the same, the right call is to keep Doug Free and his horrid play because he's a couple years younger than a guy like Clabo who's played at a high level?
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

56,114 Messages
    8,605 Likes Received
    Read the article:
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,718 Messages
    11,086 Likes Received
    Our pro scouts obviously had the two guys rated similarly. I don't agree with the move, either, but I don't believe they thought Clabo was appreciably better than Free was.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,511 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    He says the Cowboys are more than just a few players away from contending for a championship this year... I don't necessarily agree with that statement.