1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Joe Brodsky dies at age 71

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by AdamJT13, May 27, 2006.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Joe Brodsky, a running backs coach for the Dallas Cowboys when they won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, has died. He was 71.

Brodsky died Thursday after a long battle with prostate cancer, his wife, Joyce, said Saturday.

After playing fullback and linebacker for the University of Florida in the 1950s, Brodsky went on to coach high school, university and professional football teams to championships.

Brodsky guided Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School to a Florida state championship in 1975, then joined the University of Miami's coaching staff in 1978. The Hurricanes went on to win two national championships while Brodsky was there, in 1983 and 1987.

He followed Miami head coach Jimmy Johnson to Dallas in 1989. Brodsky helped develop star running back Emmitt Smith and Pro Bowl fullback Daryl Johnston as the Cowboys won Super Bowls in 1993, '94 and '96.

He left the Cowboys in 1998 and went to Chicago to coach for the Bears. He stayed one season and then retired.

Besides his wife of 49 years, Brodsky is survived by three sons and three grandchildren.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Wow. Not a good day for football players and coaches.

R.I.P. Coach.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    WOW. This has been a bad day.
    RIP Coah Joe. Once a Cowboy family member, always a Cowboy family member.
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Emmitt's coach...

RIP Coach Joe...
  5. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Sorry to hear this.......we have to find a cure for cancer.....it is killing way to many folks.
  6. dal0789

dal0789 New Member

592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep and the number of cases per year just keeps growing higher and higher.
  7. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,419 Messages
    1,902 Likes Received
    Damn prostate cancer to hell. It took my father too.

Rest in peace, coach.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,585 Messages
    5,499 Likes Received
    R.I.P Brodsky.

One of the good guys.
  9. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RIP Coach Joe, a guy who I believe to have been a legendary assistant in Cowboys history, even if his tenure was fairly recent and only a decade. His role in developing Emmitt, Moose, and some decent backups behind Emmitt was priceless in helping build the success of the 90s.

A true high school coaching legend down here in South Florida also, and a real class act. I hope Jerry slaps a memorial uniform patch on everyone this season in his honor.
  10. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RIP :starspin
  11. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,724 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Former Dallas Cowboys running back coach Brodsky dies in Fla.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- Joe Brodsky, a running backs coach for the Dallas Cowboys when they won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, has died. He was 71.

Brodsky died Thursday after a long battle with prostate cancer, his wife, Joyce, said Saturday.

After playing fullback and linebacker for the University of Florida in the 1950s, Brodsky went on to coach high school, university and professional football teams to championships.

Brodsky guided Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School to a Florida state championship in 1975, then joined the University of Miami's coaching staff in 1978. The Hurricanes went on to win two national championships while Brodsky was there, in 1983 and 1987.

He followed Miami head coach Jimmy Johnson to Dallas in 1989. Brodsky helped develop star running back Emmitt Smith and Pro Bowl fullback Daryl Johnston as the Cowboys won Super Bowls in 1993, '94 and '96.

He left the Cowboys in 1998 and went to Chicago to coach for the Bears. He stayed one season and then retired.
  12. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Pancreatic cancer took my dad... Cancer is bad, bad news...

God Bless the Brodsky family...
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    I guess we just don't have enough money to fund more cancer research...I mean, we have to send spacecraft to Mars...and fight wars!

R.I.P

He was a good coach, that's for sure...

:star:
  14. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One of my co-workers died this weekend of bone cancer. He was 38. He was a single father who left two children, ages 9 and 12.

Tough weekend all around.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    Yikes. What will happen to these kids? I ask because that's about the ages of my 2 daughters.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,803 Messages
    1,672 Likes Received
    We have spent 100's of BILLIONS of dollars since the 1960's= might even be near a trillion by now- in research; not just in the US but all over the world.
    If just MONEY could solve problems, cancer would have been beaten years ago.
  17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Unfortunetly, I think you are right...it's a nasty disease, in many forms! :(
  18. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    shame ,I really liked him back in the day, RIP
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,616 Messages
    3,145 Likes Received
    Don't like hearing stuff like this...
  20. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Probably one of the most uneducated posts I've read in a while. Do you know how much money has been dumped into cancer research? Maybe we should stop exploring and defending ourselves so we can "hopefully" find a cure for everything else.

I know, I know.... Wrong forum. :bang2: