1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Joe Paterno’s No Facemask Idea Isn’t So Insane

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Duane, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,875 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    http://network.yardbarker.com/all_s...ernos_no_facemask_idea_isnt_so_insane/3450102

As the debate over NFL player safety suddenly erupted this week, Joe Paterno made an interesting suggestion on how to stem the problem at his weekly press conference Tuesday.

No facemasks.

Paterno:

“I have been saying (it) for 15 years. Then, you would get back to shoulder blocking and shoulder tackling and you wouldn’t have all those heroes out there. Guys (would) have to worry about broken noses, knocked-out teeth, which we would like to prevent, but you don’t get anything for nothing.

“We used to have one single bar; now we have a weapon.”...
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,941 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
    Except players are using their head instead of their face to hit other players.
  3. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,462 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    It isn't 1950.
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,334 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    There are many hard hits that don't involve the facemask. You could put a good hit on a person with just a shoulder and of course a few times a year there are guys that use the crown of the helmet.

It is just a difficult task to prevent every conceivable form of injury in the game of football. You can work to minimize them, but you can't stop them all. Like they say, football is not a contact sport, it is a collision sport.
  5. SupermanXx

SupermanXx Benched

4,009 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    who's "they"?
  6. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Those guys on the side of the street around the corner from where I work.
  7. SupermanXx

SupermanXx Benched

4,009 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,667 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Make it happen!
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,983 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    Of course it's insane. It came out of Paterno's mouth.
  10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Member

143 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Why not replace facemasks with clear shields that cover the whole face? There would be nothing to grab on to.

Many players used these to cover their eye areas already, just extend them to cover the whole face, in place of the facemasks.

(I meant this sorta tongue-in-cheek, but the more I think about it, it could make some sense. Helmets would look a bit different, but you'd cut down on the risk of injuries, for sure).
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,065 Messages
    3,975 Likes Received
    I like the idea.
  12. VirusX

VirusX Active Member

1,391 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    The idea is valid, there will always be players wanting to make "dirty" hits but the majority will react as instinct which would be to lead with their shoulder.
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Except for the shield fogging up why not :D
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,328 Likes Received
    Big Jim.
  15. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder what Paterno thinks about seatbelts.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,635 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    IMHO it's easy say "we had fewer injuries with leather helmets and no face masks so we should go back to that style." But back in those days, the players were nowhere near as big, as strong and as fast as they are today. If you took 100 of today's athletes and put them in football gear circa 1940, I don't think it would solve the problem.

25 years ago a player was considered big if he was 275. William Perry was considered extraordinary at 300. But now 300 is below average for a lineman. Not to mention today's 300 pounders could run circles around those guys from a generation or two ago.
  17. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Paterno's point wasn't about eliminating facemask infractions.

Frankly, I think Paterno's idea has some merit. Even leading with the crown of the helmet would be reduced because the face is still exposed, and an elbow or hand or the opposing players helmet could run into the face of the tackler if he leads with his head.
  18. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Do we know for certain there were less injuries and less severe injuries in the old days? How good were the records of injuries at that time? It seems to me that there aren't necessarily more concussions nowadays, rather head injuries are taken more seriously. I bet a lot of injuries in the old days went under reported or not diagnosed to today's standards.
  19. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know that Paterno said to use leather helmets. didn't he just say no facemasks?

We still need solid, secure helmets no matter what. We have to provide maximum protection for the head. But, like I said earlier, I think even with hard helmets the incidents where people lead with their heads would be diminished without a facemask because leading with the head also results in leading with an exposed face that could end up having the opponents arm, hand, helmet, elbow, etc hit the tackler square in the face. Remember, thjey aren't tacking stationary targets, they are tackling guys moving and twisting and ducking and turning, and there would be a hesitance before leading with a helmet in which the face isn't protected.
  20. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Another rule against the defense. ;)