'Joe the Plumber' strikes back at media

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Oct 19, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

71,660 Messages
    14,259 Likes Received
    The question is, is the news on Joe really anti-Joe or is it just the media doing their job to find out who this guy is? And as part of their job, they've found negative things so far based on public record?

The next media spin to come out of this is all the friends of Joe who knows and love him will now be contacted to provide a different viewpoint. Happens all the time.
  2. iceberg

iceberg well at least we're not the browns Zone Supporter

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    my point is - i didn't google joe the plummer. i didn't google ayers. i just don't care to be honest. maybe this week it's been joe overload and it forced it's way through my "filters" somehow. :) ayers/obama stories never did. i've not really changed my habits lately and i can't seem to get away from joe stories.

i feel for the guy because his life is suddenly an open book because he dared to question obama.

that just makes me nervous. people made a living questioning bush and his policies and i've not really seen bush use force or otherwise to get it to stop or to have media go after someone.

good god, he'd never sleep.

but the same people who spent the last 8 years bashing bush and exersizing their right to do so now seem to be wanting to quiet those on tv questioning obama.

i just don't like the tone of that.
  3. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Well-Known Member

1,583 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    So let me get this straight ... you don't read the media, but it's their fault you don't know about Bill Ayers even though you spend so much of your time talking about him?

Perhaps because John McCain mentioned him twenty times during the debate that just took place? You can't go out of your way to make a campaign issue out of something and then wonder why it's an issue less than a week later.
  4. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They worked together on and Education board.

It ain't getting any deeper than that.
  5. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    i just feel bad for the guy. ask a presidential candidate an honest question and suddenly, you're a celeb. will all that the media and/or obamas camp is doing to him keep someone else from even asking an honest question?

would you question obama in public now about his policies if it meant this could happen to you? why does the media have to find out who he is if all he wanted to know was how his taxes would be effected under obama's plan?
  6. WoodysGirl

71,660 Messages
    14,259 Likes Received
    As has been mentioned, it's only cuz Joe is fresh and new. Ayers is as much a known quantity as Obama, now, therefore he's not considered a hot media topic. It was when the news first came out in the primaries. Now, notsomuch.

At this point, anyone who doesn't know about Obama's association with Ayers is extremely out of touch. So from a journalistic standpoint, it's old news and the media isn't going to report on it, unless there's something new to add.

But in all honesty, I haven't read any of those articles about Mr. Joe and very few about Ayers. Read one or two and that's about it. The rest of them are just not interesting to me, at all.
  7. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    let me get this straight, you're not paying attention to what i'm saying.

i'm saying i don't pay much attention the media because it's all mud slinging to me. i did watch the debate and yes, this did come up. now i can't get away from it. i don't spend more time on tv, i don't think i CAN spend more time on the computer, so what comes through just comes through.

i DO NOT go out looking for info on ayers OR joe.

if i wanted to, sure. i can and will. but i don't. for either. yet all these joe stories still get through.
  8. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    And months ago you didn't have to Google Ayers either.

But the media isn't going to go full blown rehash at this point because McCain's trailing and decided to bring this old story back up.
  9. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    then i'm out of touch. i hear people in here bickering about it. either attacking obama for being best friends with the dude and supporting his every whim to he lived close by and they worked on a project togeter, but not together. ayers wanted to blow something up and was considered a terrorist at the time but he got better over the year.

as much as i know or care about in a nuttshell.
  10. WoodysGirl

71,660 Messages
    14,259 Likes Received
    I guess this is where I disagree, I don't see Obama's camp doing anything specifically to Joe, cuz they've moved on to waitresses in diners, and fireman and police officers. And McCain's camp has moved on to Ed the Dairyman. Seriously, it's ridiculous now.

Ok, back on topic. I wouldn't question any of them seeing as I know that it would then be a talking point and then everybody would be looking into my business.

It's not Joe's fault he's in the spotlight, but how he chooses to react to it is his responsibility. It means, getting out of the spotlight. Do the media rounds and then go back to being a private citizen.
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Don't know why this is so hard to understand.
  12. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    i didn't. and still didn't hear about him. all i'm saying. i've not gone hunting for info on either but i know more about joe than ayers.
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I find that astonishing.
  14. WoodysGirl

71,660 Messages
    14,259 Likes Received
    Your not out of touch. You're aware of Ayers. You may not know details, but you're aware.

Out of touch to me means someone who has no knowledge of the guy and had never heard his name before.
  15. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    and in the end that's likely what will happen. i just think it's sad we have a system that if you ask a question you run the risk of your life being opened up for the world. joes been on a couple of talk shows i think (huckabee?) and if he didn't want that attention, he could have simply said "no thanks".

in the end i do think it will discourage people from asking valid questions.
  16. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    i'm sure you do.

i find that normal from you.
  17. ConcordCowboy

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Google is your friend.
  18. WoodysGirl

71,660 Messages
    14,259 Likes Received
    I didn't watch the last debate, but if he was really mentioned 20+ times, it was only natural for the media to find out who the guy is. Should they have dug as far as they did, I don't know. Legally, it wasn't an issue. Ethically, it was the reporter has to ask him/herself before reporting it.

But like you said, if he didn't want the attention, then he probably should've given maybe one or two interviews and then close the door on your private life. Don't keep the door open and extend your 15 mins of fame.
  19. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    missing the point is yours.

i DO NOT WANT to go look it up. i know the general idea and that's fine. i don't hold it against obama because the premise is flawed to me. i'm more concerned he could attend his church for 20 years and miss much of the racist talk that seems to have been normal.

i don't go look up all these tidbits of info because in the end, it won't matter. if i found a "holy grail" connection through my digging, pro-obama people won't see it the same way i do. it invites arguments no one will win and as you can tell by my highly decreased posting in here, i've long since gotten tired of arguments you can't win. either side.

when i see someone get so buckled down in defense of "their side" objectivity will go out the window. so when someone won't let go of an "ayers bullet" then that's their problem. when someone refuses to see there could even be an issue there, nothing i say or find will change that either.

so while i could go look it up, i know enough for me and just don't CARE to do that. but since i don't do it about anyone, all i'm saying is i've heard more about the plummer than ayers.

for whatever reason. but please just understand all i'm saying is i didn't go looking for info on either. could be timing, could be coincidence, or it could be a huge conspiracy and obama and ayers are really planning to blow up pittsburgh when no one is looking.

i really didn't think this was that difficult a point.
  20. iceberg

31,066 Messages
    3,780 Likes Received
    mccain brought him up more but obama did his share. if joe didn't want the added pressure he could have declined the interviews. but if i had the media coming after me simply because i asked an honest question, i'd be pretty upset also.