1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

John Edwards, Huge Hypocrite

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I really just can't stand this guy... he's gotta be one of the biggest phonies in politics. I think I'd rather have Al Gore President over him.

2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    Talk about hypocrisy. Dems demonize Bush and repubs every day but are allowed to get away with it. Dems are afraid of a Fox debate because they KNOW they will get asked hard questions. If this bunch is afraid of Fox News, how can they expect to be President?
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    On the surface I could see someone yelling HYPOCRITE over this.

However it appears there is a difference of sorts.

Getting paid for a book is different than getting a straight donation. Now the question was that a fair price for the book or did they add "donations" and cover it as a price for the book?
  4. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I understand the difference in the money... the thing that I find hypocritical is that he's acting as if any donations from Murdoch (or Fox) are covered in toxic slime and must be returned or else the integrity of that candidate is compromised. Meanwhile, he's happy to take hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in compensation from that same guy without batting an eye.

If Murdoch is such a leper, then why didn't Edwards find a different publisher for his book?

Answer: they probably weren't offering him as much money.
  5. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Here's another Edwards gem that cracks me up... not only does he "subtly" play the race and gender card with this "what your gut tells you" remark... he also basically gets caught lying by making up polling data. :lmao2:

This is from the New York Observer:

6. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Wow, now because you work for Fox you cannot donate to the candidate of choice ???

I'm a sub contractor for a radio music show in distribution, (http://www.foxallaccess.com/). Good thing I'm a republican because it looks like my money would get thrown back at me if I donated to this idiots cause, wonder what would happen if I refused to take it back, wonder how that works ??

Okay, hold onto your hats here, but I know some liberal democrats that work for Fox. I happen to know some people that are Republicans that work for CBS radio. Dogs marrying cats, what is going on here...lol.

Now, Brain has come out and admitted that Fox has a right wing bias...conversley he has admitted that CBS, NBC, CNN and ABC have a liberal bias. Funny that the Republicans have no problem debating on those networks and the democrats have flatly refused to debate on Fox.

Until Fox took the air these guys (Dems) knew that they would have an easy time on TV vs. what the Republicans had to go through. Now that its just STARTING to even out the playing field these guys are going crazy.

Edwards would take money from Mike Vick and Moveon.org over Robert Murdoch, now that is funny.
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,963 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    I don't find any hypocracy, because I can see the difference in getting paid for a product and taking a donation as a political backing.

That being said - claiming that someone is so evil (Murdoch) and calling for all donations from NewsCorp to be returned just seems silly and childish to me.
  8. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think if anything, it's the opposite. For example, I would never take a job with Dan Snyder, but if he wanted to donate to my campaign I'd let him.
  9. Crown Royal

10,963 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    I think from Edwards viewpoint though, the donations can serve as an influence on one's politics, thus his demand to return donations from a far right influence. But he is under no political duty or obligation by being paid for a service or product he provided. It's just a business deal outside the world of politics - and from a subsidiary of NewsCorp at that.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not an Edwards fan at all. He reaks with entrenched partisanship, which I detest.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Don't ruin Danny's hate for Edwards with logic.

Edwards is scum for sure but that example he brought up was pretty pathetic. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Edwards...that was not one of them IMO.

However I am sure that for the next week or so I will hear Hannity harping on that topic over and over again like the mouth piece shill that he is.

If that first topic was the worst someone could bring up about any of the current candidates or current admin...I would be a happy man.

Sadly there are worse examples out there for the current admin and probably the majority of the candidates.
  11. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love how the Democrats want to boycott Fox News because they "hate" the Democratic party (which is silly), but those same Democrats want to embrace Islamic countries in the Middle East. That is the real hypocracy.
  12. Jarv

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    I hate that, I know that it is the way it is, but I hate it. I just don't like the fact it cost millions of dollars to get elected.

Also, for the record I know that NewsCorp does not ask you party affiliation during an interview, so Edwards wanting to return campaign donations from NewsCorp employees, even if they are democrats, is just wrong....I almost want to use the racist word here, Edwards is labeling people just on the basis of where they work.

Like me saying I'd never vote for anyone that is a lawyer ambulance chase...:rolleyes:
  13. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what about voting for a prosecuting attorney who helped crush organized crime when everyone else was afraid to?
  14. Jarv

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Touche...lol.
  15. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Money is money.

How is a political donation more influential to a politician than money slipped into his pocket for a "service rendered"?

That claim makes no sense whatsoever.

If anything, the money given to Edwards for his book is FAR MORE influential to him than the campaign donations the others took.

First of all, it's a much bigger amount. Second of all, it's unrestricted money. Edwards can use that $500,000 for whatever he pleases, while Hillary has to use that $20,000 for campaign-only purposes. Third, the money Edwards took is completely unregulated, while the campaign contributions are heavily monitored and regulated. Fourth, there's transparency in that the donations are a matter of public record and the public can decide for themselves whether or not the donations produced influence for the giver, whereas private transactions are much more opaque.

Please explain how a political donation holds more influence over a candidate than a $500,000 book advance? Because that really doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

But maybe I'm just confused by my "hate". :rolleyes:
  16. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    You know what would be nice.

A cap on ALL candidates and how much they can not only receive in donations per person and business but also as a total amount for their campaign. Not only that a cap on how much can be spent on your campaign.

All candidates across the board have a cap.

The way it is now it automatically favors the rich or those that can raise the most money.

I would be interested in seeing how it would be if each had the same amount.

Might boil down more to how they debate each other and the actual issues as opposed to smear campaigns, behind the scenes rhetoric, campaign money from big business that pulls strings.

Another thing I would love to see. The Primaries, the debates with the reps for each party...have a cap on them as well.

Think of how much money is spent for these lavish Primaries. The Dem and Repub parties during elections. The RNC/DNC.

MILLIONS are spent on some of these parties and platforms for these guys to get up and run their mouths.

I would rather that money go towards better equipment for the troops. Towards taking care of the troops after they have been injured and can not serve, money going towards a multitude of quality charities.

Not into the parties for a bunch of rich hypocrites up there running their mouths.
  17. Jarv

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Post of the day !!! :)
  18. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I believe that indeed is a large part of it...and sorry if I am blunt but I do believe it.

I would be willing to bet money, well I don't have any but you get the picture, that if Fred Thompson had received money from a liberal network, for doing work and not political donations, you would not be so quick to come in and scream hypocrite.
  19. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What you suggest actually is in place in some ways. If a candidate takes federal matching funds, then they are restricted in how much they can spend. But those like Hillary (and probably either nominee this time around) who can raise more than that limit end up rejecting the public matching funds and therefore face no cap.

If you forced everyone to have a cap, then I think you'd see a lot more money going to PACs, 527s and other Swift Vets and MoveOn type groups then.

The money is looking to go somewhere, and if you say "candidate X can only raise $30 million" then every dollar over that is going to find its way to a group that is doing something to help candidate X.

And if you say that those groups can't spend any money on the election, then you have a case where the groups that can (unions, etc) have an undue influence. And if you bar them, then the media basically gets to push out their opinion unopposed.
  20. Crown Royal

10,963 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    Frankly, because you are making an enormous leap in assuming that he was 'slipped' the money back door. Authors get advances from publishers for books, like he did. He got paid for a service rendered, from Harper Collins, a subsidiary of NewsCorp. This happens everyday, but just based off this article you are automatically accusing both parties of the transaction of devious pursuits, without a lick of evidence to support that conjecture.

He got paid for a non-political business transaction, and yet I am to automatically assume that this was a seditious act? Please.