1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

John Moffit - no more than a reserve

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by lostinomiya, Feb 2, 2011.

1. lostinomiya

lostinomiya Member

534 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bunting again - have read a lot of positive things on Moffit but Bunting has him as #9 rated guard and cannot see him as a starter.

"Is an above-average bender for his size and does a decent job getting set out of his stance quickly in pass protection. Looks comfortable shuffling his feet and staying patient as a puncher. However, isn't a real rangy guard and will struggle to mirror in space. Possesses only average lateral range inside and lacks the type of power and hand placement to lock out through on contact once an opposing lineman gains a step. Will get his arms outside the pads of the defenders and can be out leveraged and bullied into the backfield. Now, does look natural sliding his feet and keeping his base down through contact once he get his hands on you, but lacks the type of lateral agility to simply hold up one-on-one on an island inside.

Doesn't exhibit a great first step off the snap in the run game either. Has a tendency to allow defenders to get into his frame initially and lacks the type of pad level to get under opposing linemen and consistently drive them off the football. Consistently is just forced to turn defenders from the play on contact and ends up on the ground routinely because of it. Looks athletic enough to get out to the second level in the run game and has average range when asked to pull, but really struggles to break down and consistently hit/seal a moving target.

Impression: Wasn't the type of in-line run blocker I expected and needs to play in tighter quarters in order to be effective. Doesn't look like much more than a reserve type in the NFL"
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I usually like Bunting`s scouting reports , but I think he is wrong on this one. I like Moffitt more than some of the guys that Bunting rated ahead of him.