1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Johnny Knox has been released by the Bears...*retires from NFL*

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by lqmac1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,119 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    He's been released by the Bears. Bring him in; release Austin and with money saved fix our gaping holes?

1. Dez Bryant
    2. Dwayne Harris
    3. Johnny Knox?

Comes pretty cheap I would think.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,309 Messages
    1,131 Likes Received
    He's was a pet cat of my before the Bears drafted him and I'd like to take a look, but he suffered a gruesome injury and you have to wonder if that had something to do with the Bears releasing him?
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,514 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Not a fan of Knox. Rather take a chance on someone else
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,012 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Why would you release Austin, his contract is cap friendly going forward... I do like the idea of bringing in Knox with his deep speed.
  5. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    ugh guys, do some research.. The guy had a major back injury at the end of 2011 & is struggling to return from it
  6. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,229 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    Because he spent 2012 on the PUP list his contract could have tolled and the Bears could have retained him on his rookie deal. There is a reason they didn't.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    god.

its like an edict was sent out by the clueless that miles austin is a bad player and needs to be cut so it is repeated on the internet everyday.

the guy is not going anywhere and should not.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,442 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    Hold on guys.
    I have my issue with Miles, but going from him to Knox (especially in his current state) is a big downgrade.
    I have no problem with looking to upgrade Miles--the y frustrates the heck out of me and espcially at his price. I don't even have an issue with taking a look at Knox, but to to replace Austin.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,140 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    No, it isn't.

He is scheduled to cost 8,7,7,11m

He isn't worth that.

Not for 5 or 6 healthy games, 4-6 banged up half-speed games and 3-5 missed games.
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,140 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Knox is a guy you take a low risk, high reward look at.

Miles is a guy you either keep or jettison based on cap cost and ability.

Miles IS NOT worth his current cap hit and we won't have him here with a re-signed Dez so the question is do we keep him another year or not.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,442 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    I agree.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,140 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    There is a big difference between being bad and being worth an 8m cap hit.

The diety is definitely aware of that.

I think Miles stays one more year but I'd cut him faster than I could blink post June 2nd if he wasn't full speed at any point before the final roster.
  13. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    How many games did Miles miss last year?

How many did Knox miss?

Unless it's a huge savings, I keep Miles this year and let Harris, Coale hopefully grow into a #2 role.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,140 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    If we are really going to invest more resources in the running game maybe we re-allocate some cash from Austin by playing it cheap with Harris/Knox as secondary WRs.

Maybe Coale comes on or a mid round draftee this year.

Like Free was cut the day we drafted Tyron Smith, Miles was cut last year when Dez clearly passed him as lead WR. We can't pay 8m for a 2nd WR unless he is a perennial Pro Bowler or we are taking Super Bowl shots.

Austin is freakishly talented, but also not young, not resilient and not always around Valley Ranch.

I think this is a tough call. Very hard to replace Austin at his best. But the 500k per game cost is pretty large when he catching 2 passes for 30 yards.
  15. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

14,625 Messages
    1,070 Likes Received
    What? No his contract going forward is awful on the cap. That's the main reason he might not be here.
  16. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,666 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    I am absolutely for signing him, but I'm not sure either he or Harris are 1st or 2nd receiver material.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,140 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Miles had 2 games last year where he was not "present". Both Washington games.

He had zero catches for zero yards.

In the final EIGHT games of the season he had two or fewer catches four times.
    He had just over 300 yards receiving the second half of last season.

Miles cost us a roster spot and a LOT of money.

Knox isn't a replacement for Miles so much as a cheap looksie player. Much like we took Marc Columbo off the Bears scrap heap initially. You need cheap talent. You don't pay Knox any crazy 8 million. You pay him about 1m with a lot of incentives that allows you to control his rights for a couple seasons or release him for a very mild cap hit at the end of training camp.

If we declare Miles a June 2nd cut he saves us ~6M in 2013 cap space.
    6 million.

That would be the 8th highest cap figure in 2013 if we used it to sign someone. We could have Spencer back for that cap cost in 2013.
  18. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

5,969 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    WAit.....you'd release Austin in FAVOR of Johnny Knox?
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Compare what Austin did this year and his salary to what others in the NFL did and their salaries. He's right about where he should be.

He shouldn't be replaced.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,140 Messages
    1,036 Likes Received
    Fair question but also fair to note Harris arguably outplayed Austin the final 7 games of 2012. --Harris didn't do a thing before then as a WR.

Is Harris a worse #2 WR than Sensabaugh is a starting Free Safety?
    Or Doug Free was a starting RT?

With cap issues you gotta get by somewhere usually.