1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Johnny Knox has been released by the Bears...*retires from NFL*

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by lqmac1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Can Knox even play? That injury looked bad.

I'm sure they will ask Miles to restructure and if not, money has never been an issue. Stephen has even said so. Every year, us fans say the same thing "we are in cap hell". If they want a player, they will find a way to get a player.

I'm not a big Miles fan at all, but unless we have a good replacement, I don't cut him. I don't think Knox is that replacement.
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    That is a completely silly statement.

Miles cost us a cap charge of only 2.7 or so Million in 2012 but he also costs us 5m in cap penalty for structuring his deal the way we did. So he REALLY cost us 7.7m.

But what's more is in 2013 he costs us 8m and on top of that we get to eat another 5m in cap penalty. For 13 MILLION dollars.
    That's insane.

The second half of 2012 Austin was a spare WR. He had 25 catches for ~300 yards and 2 TDs. Completely unacceptable performance by a #2 WR in this offense.
  3. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,607 Messages
    332 Likes Received

This. and for Johnny Knox? Guy might never play again. Everyone should take a look at the article. He underwent major back/neck surgery. He's currently jogging. Hope he makes it back, but he's a loooong ways away from being back.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Knox is a little more than 2 years younger and MUCH cheaper. This isn't about being a direct replacement.

It is about being a replacement PLUS saving you 5 million dollars in 2013.

As to the money stuff please stop talking nonsense.
    Stephen is the money hasn't been an issue guy... except now he says money is an issue. You guys are ignoring the actual authority on the subject.

Paying Miles 8m for 2013 is just stupid football management.

One of the ways to make sure money isn't an issue is to cut Miles.

Would I cut him today? NO!

Would I have discussions with Knox agent about a make-good deal if he can pass a physical? HECK YES.

And I would cut Miles if he wasn't ready to go full bore in training camp and lock down that #2 WR job.
  5. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,636 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    The amount of people so quick to get rid of Miles. I don't get it. Was he great last year? No. He was few yards shy of 1000 yards while dropping passes, not being the number 1 receiver and having to share catches with Dez, Witten, sometimes Harris and Ogletree.

As for Knox, if he's still healthy and comes cheap I'd love him on special teams other than that, no.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    What was the reigning NFL MVP doing this time last year?
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    again....

The second half of 2012 Austin was a spare WR. He had 25 catches for ~300 yards and 2 TDs. Completely unacceptable performance by a #2 WR in this offense
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    Knox is slowly making progress from last December's surgery to repair fractured vertebrae. He's in the final year of his rookie contract, but a provision in the new CBA allows teams to retain the rights of their players that spend the entire year on PUP. Therefore, the Bears could bring Knox back next season for $1.26 million and give him a chance to prove his health. Tue, Nov 6,
  9. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,636 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    Again I don't care if he was a spare. The main reason for that is the emergence of Dez but if you can find a better receiver than Miles to come here at the same price great go get him but the sake of just getting rid of him especially for Johnny Know. Hell no. Anyway why are we even bickering about this. WR is probably the one position on this team of least need. It's not important right now. We know what are receivers are and what they can produce. Pretty damn good results compared to the rest of the league.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Austin's salary is set up so they can restructure it. He's not costing them 8 million on the cap. He's not going anywhere.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    They cut him already.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    No it's not.

Austin has large bases EVERY year going forward.

His contract is set up for a 2013 release.

Can we hand him a check to lower his 2013 cost? Sure. We can do that with 20 other guys as well. Should we? Probably not.

Last season the single two most overpaid and overrated players were Doug Free and Miles Austin. One could argue Ratliff provided they ignored his actual performance level when he did play.

Again to sum all this up. People saying Austin is absolutely safe are silly, goofy and daft. This is a guy who costs a lot of money and hasn't made it through half of his NFL camps at full speed.

I do not believe Austin is cut right away that he is even a definite cut. I do believe the Dallas Cowboys have enough brains to really value 6m on this years cap and will monitor the Austin situation.

We kept Terence Newman one year too long. We don't need to make the same mistake with a guy who is at best our #2 Wr. At the same time it would be crazy to not keep Austin til June.

This really isn't complicated.
  13. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,682 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  14. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,891 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    he had nothing to do with the cap peanlty. the team offered the contract
  15. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    How can you not understand this? They set it that way to restructure it. They do not plan to go into the year with an 8 million salary. They will turn most of into bonus. Apparently it is too complicated...for you.
  16. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Give him a thorough physical. Find out if he can even play. His career might be over. It was an awful injury. Here it is.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnGgBba0K_A[/video]
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    it was his contract that caused the penalty.

doesnt make it his fault but it is HIS cost.

same as Ware and Romo cost a lot.

He has to earn the money he makes or he gets released. This is the same anywhere in the NFL. Austin was terribly underperforming. Especially when we needed it in the second half of last year. What's actually worse is as we shifted to get the ball to Dez we started winning.

So you have to gauge Austin based on both what he has been at his best and what he was last year. You don;t give him a pass in camp to limp around and play at half speed. We've seen that version of Austin and it isn't worth even half of 8m.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    try to use the part of your brain that controls logical thinking.

miles had a base of 1.x mil in 2012. his base in 2013 rose substantially. it remains HIGH for the remainder of his deal. It isn't a one year 12m base like Carr, Ware or Romo. It is simply a base like you'd pay a star WR.

He essentially had a short term deal front-loaded to hit the non-cap year.

That fizzled and we ate 10m in penalties.

But he STILL costs 8m in 2013 unless he is cut where he can cost only 2m.
    A contract this size that can be jettisoned for a gran total of 4m is almost unheard of. It is very friendly.

We paid Austin as a WR1 at the high end. He was an elite top 10 guy by salary. He is no longer viewed as such. He isn't viewed as an 8m per year player.

IF you pay him a 6m bonus and lower his cap hit this season to ~4m you will then eat a minimum of 7m to cut him next year.

That all adds up to the cheapest way to handle Austin is with a simple release June 2nd. You remove the entire base salary and split the meager 4.5m you owe him in bonus money.

That is as set up to cut as any star contract ever is.

Follow your proposal to it's logical conclusion.

Tell me what we do with Austin in 2014 and 2015?
  19. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    You need to use your brain for something other than a hat rack. The contract salary in the uncapped year was 17 million so they had to keep salaries within that original parameter which is why each salary is so high. They did it that way so they could restructure every year. Now if it came to a time when they needed to cut them yes they could do it but that isn't going to happen. They will restructure once again this year.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    The kid is from the Houston area.
    He almost certainly has nothing more than a make good deal out there from anyone.

Dallas needs speed and will especially need it if we release Austin.

Knox was one of the fastest player in the NFL and would be the fastest on our roster provided he can match his pre-injury 40 time.

Again he is just a shot in the dark that could come up aces and takes next to no financial commitment.

I'd be in favor of adding him regardless of what we do with Austin.