1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jon Asamoah : Possible FA for us next year

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Sep 19, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Watching last weeks game and this weeks game, Asamoah looks to be a damn good RG that this team needs. Asamoah will be a free agent this offseason and the best OG free agent. I prefer drafting early but if we can get Asamoah where we can use that early pick on a DL, it would be a win win.

I'm adding Asamoah to my free agent wish list.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    I'd rather draft and develop.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Just depends on when you draft, what round. I'm not trusting Dallas to draft a OL any later than the 2nd round. We need a day one starting RG and a late round pick to develop isn't going to do that.
  4. jobberone

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    Can't say I blame you there. I suspect they will look at OL but harder at DL and DB.
  5. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,596 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Not a guard. Would rather go D-line or running back in free agency.
  6. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,493 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    That name seems so familiar, almost as if he's only been in the league 2-3 years. FA already wow I'm intrigued... Personally I'd rather draft a guard in the 1st or 2nd round but if they choose to ignore it AGAIN then this dude sounds promising...
  7. al124

al124 Member

129 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    At
    At the rate that this team misses on drafting offensive linemen though, I'd rather go for the sure thing. He's young and proven. Get him unless the price is too high.
  8. MackNorth

MackNorth Member

170 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Haven't we been hoping for this for the last umpteen drafts? I dream of the day where they actually employ this strategy, rather than have us wish for it every year!
  9. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

911 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    At this point, I care more about the quality of Dallas' QB than the OL group. Sadly.
  10. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,479 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    To the OP, how do you feel about Hatcher as a player? And not just now but how have you always felt?

Because this guy got abused by Hatch.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    this teams absolute pathetic inability to develop drafted guards is amazing. The only young guy that we have starting was a UDFA.

So sadly I agree that the FA route is the better one for us.

outside of going first or second round anyway
  12. jobberone

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    ''

That's the problem. You end up spending too much on FA. Then you have trouble signing your own.
  13. jobberone

36,973 Messages
    3,541 Likes Received
    Yeah, some want this. But then you may have passed on Dez. So it's all an educated crap shoot. Part scouting and part luck and part strategy and part cap management. It's hard to get out of debt and keep up with the Jones (no pun intended) at the same time.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,992 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    I dont get this post. Which strategy won't they use? The OP mentioned OL, DL, and DB.

2 of the last 3 first rounders have been spent on Oline, the other one was a DE. We have two first round defensive ends, and a third rounder who would be in the regular rotation if not for an injury.
  15. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    You have to draft according to your board, you can't draft according to need because it causes you to stretch. Only way you draft for need is if the player has the grade/rating in the spot or higher than you are selecting. The only other scenario you draft for need is if there is 2 players with similar grades and one of them is a position of need, but 9 times out of 10 you draft according to your board and get the best player available.
  16. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,494 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    In an ideal world, I'd rather sign a guard and focus on fixing the DLine in the draft.
    Future likes this.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,992 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    Lets say Dallas picks #10 this year.

The top 9 from the board all go, and their 10th rated prospect is a QB. Their 15th rated prospect is a DE who could probably come in and make an immediate impact with Spencer gone, and in between is 2 WRs, a Tackle and a MLB. Assuming they still like Free at the end of the year, you're taking the QB?
  18. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Agree, we cannot afford to keep having massive contracts for players, time to develop players.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    yeah just how good are we at developing guards?

Got a hint for you.

exactly ONE in this millenia. IF LEARY keeps on going as he has.
  20. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I do remember a guy named Larry we developed.