1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jon Stewart: Harry Truman Guilty of War Crimes

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ScipioCowboy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,131 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received
  2. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ... What's next? Apologizing to the British for the revolution?
  3. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,535 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    Dropping the bombs were probably unnecessary as Japan could have been starved into submission and normal carpet bombing with incidiaries could have done a devastating job as well.

That being said, it was not a war crime.
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,966 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    At the beginning of tonight's show, Stewart apologized, said it was a stupid thing to say, and that he does not believe Truman was a war criminal.
  5. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It put an End to a Devastating War of which they started with Pearl Harbor.

While it did kill tens of thousands...it saved many more than that by not making us invade mainland Japan.

It wasn't a War Crime...it was a weapon available to us and we used it.

I would have done the same thing and I would have kept dropping them until they did surrender.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    wow concord common sense and reality. Are you sick or drunk?
  7. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,292 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Those were the only two we had.

Only reason Japan surrendered because they thought we had more and the power of them scared them. Otherwise they would have fought us house to house in Japan and millions would have died.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yeah I know those were the only two we had at the time but if the War went on longer we would have built more.
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm High from the Pot thread.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,924 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Your high because it's Friday, because you aint got no job, you aint got no money and you aint got **** to do. The Pot Thread was just fortuitous.

:D
  12. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,292 Messages
    75 Likes Received

[IMG]
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

[IMG]
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,924 Likes Received
    I watch that movie still and it makes me laugh.
  15. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Starvation and carpet bombing? Does that constitute less of a war crime? We did firebomb Tokyo. And the Brits firebombed Dresen in Germany. Germany bombed the **** out of London...

We (i think internationally) need to be careful about what should be a punishable war crime after the fact. That just leads to the unsettling of finality which armed conflict is arguably meant to decide...It engenders disagreement and further hostility unless something beyond the pail. On those grounds I think you'd have to try and argue that the nuclear attacks were genocidal in nature, one part in a systematic action to anihilate a whole people...It'd be haaaard to argue that the Allied role and goals in WW2 was that.

The Japanese, on the other hand, have been estimated to have killed more Chinese during WW2 than the holocaust in Europe in total lives. Thats not to speak of their efforts in the Pacific which were simply of a smaller scale.
  16. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This accurately describes me...I quit my job last Friday. :lmao2:
  17. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think thats very accurate, like the invasion of Germany, or the German invasion of Russia, Japan would not have capitulated their mainlands without HUGE, large scale urban combat against still capable defensive forces. The battle of Berlin, the Russian invasion of the German capital, was numerically the largest battle in human history, well over a million people deployed on both sides, atrocious collateral damage.

There was an ongoing Coup against the Emperor before the nuclear attacks...Not to unseat him as an unpopular militarist but to unseat him to avoid surrendering and admitting military defeat...In essence, to continue fighting.

These are a people who TWICE fought off Mongolian invasions - The kamakazi, the Divine Wind, is so called because of the fable of a storm that occured during the first Mongolian invasion which destroyed much of their fleet.

There are distinct cultural as well as political reasons why Imperial Japan was an axis power.
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    pretty funny since Japan has yet to recompense POWs who they tortured and killed

freakin', liberal America
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Actually by October we would have had several more bombs. Maybe - MIGHT- have gotten one or two earlier if it had been pushed. Once Japan surrendered the priority was dropped and the effort reduced.
  20. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,889 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Curtis Lemay said:

"Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal."