1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones and Jenkins

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wolfpack, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,598 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    So who thought these two were 1st round picks?
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Pretty sure they were first round picks.. next question.
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

1,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Excellent post. You should post more often. The level of enlightenment and analysis simply can't be measured or described in words. All I can say is thank you.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,472 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    Jenkins wasn't awful. He made a Pro Bowl. Had a few very good seasons. Only had one bad season when the whole defense collapsed. To tell you the truth, there aren't many elite CBs in the league, so a 1st round pick of Jenkin's caliber is not bad. It was really the injuries that caused Dallas to lose faith in him. If he would have stayed healthy we either wouldn't have drafted Claiborne or wouldn't have spent all that money on Carr. Jones on the other hand was a bust. I don't believe in drafting RBs in the first round period, especially not in the top 5 like some teams do. Jones isn't a bad player by any means. He just isn't 1st round worthy. He's a decent change of pace back and someone who can catch some passes. He's probably a quality 2nd or 3rd RB on a team.

Speaking of Jenkins, I hope a few other players on the Dallas roster don't have the same fate. People want to love guys like Sean Lee, Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray, but how different are those guys from Mike Jenkins? They're all very good players who have a tendency to always get injured. I wouldn't be surprised if fans lost faith in the almighty Sean Lee three years from now if his injury problems persist. Dallas has a tendency of getting guys who can't stay healthy. I hope it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised if none of those guys are on the roster five years from now.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    1,187 Likes Received
    Roy, I think what he meant was that they have not performed up to their draft slots, and who thought they would.

You are technically correct, however I believe the question is, who now sees them as reaches and thought they would be what one normally expects a first rounder to be.
  6. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,488 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    At the time I thought they would be long term productive players for us.

Jenkins had a couple solid seasons but he ended up being soft. I think he is still a real good outside cover guy and if the price is right I would like him to stay.

I am on the fence with Felix. I think he - if healthy - can still be a game changer and is a perfect compliment to Murray IMO. I still feel that he is not utilized correctly - he needs to be used on screens, draws, etc...plus is is a decent blocker in the pass game. He is a solid pro when healthy but not worthy of a first round pick unfortunately.

If these guys go what kind of comp picks will we get??? Losing two first round picks - we would have to get something decent wouldn't we??

I hope Felix is back though. Jenkins too if the price is right.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I hope Dallas never drafts a running back in the 1st round ever again...unless an Adrian Peterson type prospect comes around.

RB's are a dime a dozen.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,967 Messages
    5,632 Likes Received
    I wanted to draft Felix. I was okay with Jenkins but felt, if you were going to draft a CB, Flowers was a better player.
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I understand what the question was.. i was giving a sarcastic reply because i think its pretty clear Jenkins has performed very well here for us. He's been our best CB since he got here up until this season.. and i would still keep him around and cut Scandrick in the offseason if there was any way we could.

Jones.. its debatable becaue we never gave him the chance to be the feature guy.. but he's averaged like 4.5 ypc for us and been a threat in the passing game as well. When we've given him the ball, he's been productive for us.

I think its pretty clear both were first round talents.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,693 Messages
    1,141 Likes Received
    Both were first round talents, if not for injuries, both would be resigning next year more than likely.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Felix is not first rounder. Backup and complementary players should not be taken on the first half the draft. It just mirrors a decade and a half of miserable drafting.
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,166 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    I still think Jenkins has lived up to his selection. He's just been up and down a little but I believe he is a starting corner in the NFL.

Jenkins just needs to constantly be in competition. Im sure he'll go to some other team next year and we will rue. Probably New York.
  13. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Feliz Jones had a 1st round grade on him, going into the 08 draft.
  14. wick

wick Active Member

737 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I hated the Felix pick. I'm vehemently opposed to drafting running game parts in the first round and even more so when they are backup parts. For some bizarre reason, Jerry gets it in his head every so often (1995, Felix Jones, 2009) that we ought to draft backups, and it has never worked.
  15. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    I totally disagree, the guy has no fight in him. The second someone pays him (and someone will), he'll put his feet up and take it easy.

The Cowboys have made a lot of mistakes but letting Jenkins walk is not one of them.
  16. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Had no issue with Jenkins, but i wanted mendenhall instead of felix.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,088 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Regardless of how they turned out there was no one who covered the draft that felt Dallas had reached on these players.
  18. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,147 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    In my opinion, a first round pick should be a cornerstone player and not a 'one contract guy'.

In that regard, I think both players are ultimately viewed as disappointing.

Add to that the players the Cowboys could have drafted instead, and it's confirmed for me.

As a side note, this team could be saying goodbye to up to four former 1st round draft picks this year. (Jones, Jenkins, Spears, Spencer)
  19. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

886 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I thought they should both have been 2nd round picks at the time.