1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones and Jenkins

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wolfpack, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,478 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Felix needs to go, him and McCray.....they can pick Ratliff up along the way out the door
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    I never thought Jones was. Jenkins, he graded out. I can't say much about Jenkins. He just turned out to be a guy who didn't work for us and now it looks as if he will be working for somebody else.

Jones, I never liked that pick. I felt like he was a luxury pick that we couldn't afford. I didn't see him as an every down back. I thought he was a 34rd down back at best. Also, I felt like he was too often nicked up while at Arkansas. I like Matt Forte out of Tulane much, much better.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,102 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    I didn't mind the Jenkins pick too much, but the Jones pick ticked me off. That draft was loaded at RB, so zero need to use a 1st rounder on maybe the 7-8th best RB (at best) of the bunch.

As for Jenkins, if i had to take a CB there are a few taken after him that I would prefer now. But to be honest, I was not too upset with him at the time.

All in the past though.

Just a reminder of some Rbs taken after Jones
    Chris Johnson
    Ray Rice (that would have been nice)
    Jamal Charles
    Matt Forte
    R Mendenhall
  4. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]

had Jenkins at #15
    and Fellix #21
  5. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    i'm gonna be sick. any of those dudes are vastly superior to felix.
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,246 Messages
    1,707 Likes Received
    There's no way to foresee, mostly, what a player is going to turn out to be. Sometimes, guys just can't totally catch up to the speed/competition of the NFL.

Just like Junior High, some guys dominate, but when they get to the high school level, they just sort of fade away, to College, some fade, and some fade in the pros.

It happens.

The key is to HIT, on more than you MISS.
  7. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Jenkins was just bad luck. In 09 the guy played the best CB we've had since Deion. Nobody could foresee him being as soft as tissue paper.
  8. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,858 Messages
    1,003 Likes Received
    If you consider the Cowboys "miserable drafting" then you should see 90% of the rest of the league.
  9. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,919 Messages
    470 Likes Received

Jamal Charles was my pick... blazing fast and great hands in the college allstar competition. Chris Johnson is fast but Charles is right behind him.
  10. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

404 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Felix never lived up to the hype. He showed flashes at the beginning of his career but never could raise the bar of productivity.

I'm willing to bet that Felix Jones YAC is around 600 yards during his career at Dallas. (Being Modest here)
  11. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,868 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    Even late first rounders?
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Is that why he played all last year with a shoulder injury so bad he couldn't even lift his arm over his head?

..and still was our best tackling DB?

..and to his coaches high praise at the end of the year?
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,766 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    That is my take on it too.

Jones was a shinny luxury pick that was a waste. Jenkins was an ok pick but I think it sets your team back when you need to continually replace those 1st round picks from their rookie contract. It happens but that whole draft is wasted now.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,102 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    Agree
    1st rounders absolutely should, at minimum, be 2 contract players
  15. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,431 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
    They were mid to late first rounders. If you want to expect two contracts and probowls then you expect to be disappointed. If you look at the success rate of picks 15 and on it's not going to be rosey. More than half bust ie no second contract anywhere.

Both guys started a good number of games for us and at times were excellent. Both guys will get second contracts, just not here, and hopefully we get some compensatory picks.
  16. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Jenkins I bought into as a #1, and still feel like he would have been an upper tier corner with the right coaching, right scheme and no injuries. Felix I came full circle on. I hated the pick at first (although, admittedly, I wanted Mendenhall, who hasn't been better), then after he flashed later decided I was wrong, and now I'm back where I started.

Clearly neither of them has played quite up to the billing. In both cases I can't help feeling like injury and schematic misuse are significant contributing factors.
  17. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I have a little more faith of Jenkins playing up to the ability.

Jones?? No faith in.

I don't really like Jenkins either, I just dislike Jones that much more.

I am still seething because Steven Jackson isn't in a Cowboys Uniform.:bang2:
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Once again... "Rounds" are basically arbitrary. The #3 pick and the #30 pick are both "first rounders", but no one with any sense expects the same thing out of them.

Second, Jenkins was a very good player. Made the Pro Bowl and helped us to the #2 defense in the league his second year. He's probably still a good player, he just got hurt. And then we used tons of resources on the top corner in FA and the draft. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere and play really well next year.

Felix I think was misused. Lots of ability but always hurt. His knees might already be gone. Not sure that's anyone's fault when he wasn't hurt at all in college. I still think the big mistake there was thinking that Barber was your everydown back of the future. Parcells knew he wasn't, but that's more Garrett inexperience right there -- he just hadn't had enough experience to see that Barber wasn't that kind of player.