1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones quote re: Ratliff's extension

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by JerryJonesMustGo, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    Most of those players were not top 10 picks. Here's a list of the players drafted outside the top 10 (the bolded players were drafted after the first round):

Curley Culp 35
    Richard Dent 35
    Deacon Jones 36

Bob Lilly 35
    Howie Long 33
    Alan Page 36
    John Randle 36
    Warren Sapp 35
    Harvey Martin 33
    Charles Haley 35
    Jason Taylor 36

Dwight Freeney 36
    Jared Allen 31*
    Michael Strahan 36

You could strongly argue that guys like Culp, Jones, Lilly, Page and Martin played for peanuts their whole careers. They certainly didn't get paid like Ratliff did, even on his team friendly second deal.
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Funny-not many journalists ask Jerry if he has second thoughts about not going after Carl Nicks when the entire fan base and most journalists were screaming about getting him in the summer of 2012.

Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight.
  3. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,044 Likes Received
    Nonsense. A lot of those played not only for peanuts, they were from a time when they had to work offseason jobs to make ends meet. And even in the 80s and 90s, guys weren't making that much money. A million dollars isn't squat after taxes, especially when you have to make that money last 50 years beyond your playing days.
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

841 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    That's why I used the qualifier of "the last 15-20 years". The NFL and the payroll structure (and the rules) were entirely different in the age of the Purple People Eaters.
  5. Kaiser

841 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Please provide of list of NFL players "in the last 15 - 20 years" that had to work offseason jobs "to make ends meet".

That begins in 1993. Single or double spacing is OK.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,044 Likes Received
    Go back and read my post. I'll wait.
  7. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

299 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Come on now, you can just look at retirement age as a justifier for that huge contract. You have to take into account declining returns on your investment past 30 years of age.Rat may have been underpaid but Jerry did indeed take care of him and until I see something showing rat in a wheelchair, the guy took the money and went to his couch IMO. He got upset at Jerry and held the grudge. He'll be playing in NE or something next season watch.
  8. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,876 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    Damn.. people act like Jerry was blowing their money...
  9. Soth

Soth Active Member

352 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    My top 3

Roy williams trade
    Joey Galloway trade
    Hiring Campo
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,044 Likes Received
    No, people understanding what Jerry's spending idiocy is doing to the team's ability to sign key free agents.
    unionjack8 likes this.
  11. Kaiser

841 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    I read a post about NFL players having to work second jobs to make ends meet because "a million bucks isn't squat after taxes". Was it that one or a different post? Because one I read is laughable.
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,044 Likes Received
    Bidding against no one for Marion Barber, Terrell Owens, Roy UT (after the trade), Terrance Newman, Roy OU...
    T-RO likes this.
  13. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    is this supposed to make us feel better? The response should be "hey I've made some bad decisions in the past, and this ranks up there with them, but i have learned from this and will work to not make a mistake like this again."

instead he says hey this is obviously a pattern for me and this one doesn't even register on the Richter scale of my bad decisions in my mind so idk why you are even asking me about it.
  14. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,625 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Lol, I feel so much better now

what a jack ***!
  15. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Active Member

299 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    I think he is saying 'I don't give a ****e what you think because it's my money and my team.'.
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,044 Likes Received
    So you read that and spliced two separate thoughts about different eras together into a single sentence that I didn't write? I understand laughing at a post you can't apparently comprehend.

Give it another try, Tonto.
  17. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,674 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    Jobberone you forgot the great Reggie White who was the NFL Defensive MVP in 1998 at age 36.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    There were a whole slew of extensions that kind of flew under the radio because either A. The Internet forum thing wasn't that big at the time or B. Folks for whatever reason didn't see them as bad as what I (and some others) did.

The safety Roy Williams contract extension
    The Barber contract
    The last contract for Flozell
    The last contract for Larry Allen
    The extensions for Deion, Aikman, Irvin and Smith.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,315 Messages
    2,119 Likes Received
    You think $9m AAV is top money for all pro? Allen makes $12m AAV. That is a third more.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,556 Messages
    3,837 Likes Received
    Wasn't a list of all the greats just some. I added some non-HOFers and present players to avoid the argument of 'those are all HOFers' so of course they played a long time. But yeah, I did and I looked right at him when I was looking at Randy White. Sorry.