1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Jones Says Record Won't Be Deciding Factor For Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Garrett/0e292b62-ac9c-456e-9f2e-b36c70e209bb

If the HC has nothing to fear than what sort of precedent does that set for the players?

How can there be a "chain of command" so to speak if it seems to be broken from the top down?

Where is the light at the end of the tunnel here?
    djmajestik and casmith07 like this.
  2. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,883 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    Didn't he say pretty much the same thing about Wade? Sooner or later wins are going to determine if Garrett remains.
    hsfolk, the_h0wey, guag and 1 other person like this.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,028 Messages
    9,145 Likes Received
    "I can control him. I'm just not ready to go back to walking on egg shells with a coach with actual authority."

What he really means.
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    In the PC today, Jerry mentioned that "he" chose DCs 3 different times. It wasn't until after he realized what he said corrected himself and said "we" but we all get the point.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,793 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,028 Messages
    9,145 Likes Received
    It's a completely dysfunctional situation. The owner choosing coordinators. Sitting in on personnel meetings. Having an open door policy with the players. Acting as the voice and face of the team.

Until that changes, nothing will change on the field.
  7. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,883 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    And if the defense is real bad this year ,Rod Marinelli will be the scapegoat.
    daveferr33, Sarge, BigStar and 2 others like this.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,020 Messages
    5,048 Likes Received
    Maybe. Maybe not. You never know.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,778 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    But not the GM who chose him
  10. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,778 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
  11. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,479 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    My exact prediction in another thread.....the "Of course it was bad, the guy led a team to a nfl record 0-16 with the 32nd ranked def in yards, Ints and points that year....Time to go to the 3-4" excuses will bubble
    If they go < 6-10 and Garrett is still here, time to officially call him Jason Jones
  12. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,107 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    That is exactly what his comments mean.
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    No, he means what he said. U mad, tho?

[IMG]
    Jstopper, Proximo, Wolf2k5 and 4 others like this.
  14. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,414 Messages
    1,027 Likes Received
    Think about it for just a second.

Imagine if Jerry said, "Garrett will be judged on his record this year. If we miss the playoffs, he's out."

Think about the potential fallout from such comments. Think about the season-long distraction that would become.

THAT'S why Jerry said what he said. He generally knows what he's doing when he talks to the media. Evidently, some of you would have NO clue. And it's not rocket science.
  15. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,677 Messages
    871 Likes Received
    He didn't back up what he said with a contract extension for Garrett, did he? Until Garrett signs and extension, he likely needs to do pretty well to remain in place.
  16. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,239 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    I agree that Jerry's comments can't be taken too seriously, but my gut feeling is that if Jerry and Romo are still with the team and in their current roles next year, then JG will be as well. If Romo's career ends abruptly for some reason and they draft another franchise qb to start next season, I could see Jerry hesitating to hand over another franchise qb to JG unless the team does something in the playoffs this year. But that's all a long way away.
  17. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,479 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    Imagine if he said "I no longer talk about personnel or coaching situations. I am here to remove all obstacles that hinder this organization from not achieving goals" and then made like most gms and stayed out of sight
    Boom, links18, bysbox1 and 9 others like this.
  18. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Lets get some good players on the roster. It is amazing how coaches look when there is high caliber talent on the roster.
    5Stars and Vanilla2 like this.
  19. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,378 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Good post.

Some want tangible ramifications. If verbal statements result in coaching staff or roster discord during the season, so be it.
    Nav22 likes this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Member

156 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    It seems like JJ is tacitly acknowledging that he has given Garrett a poor defense this year, and doesn't expect to even go 8-8 if you ask me. So he's not going to blame Garrett when the defense fails to keep them in games.

This quote doesn't make much sense though - "In my mind, he is more of an asset after this last 8-8 season than he was before the first 8-8 season we had three years ago.” So Garrett really hasn't done much since he's been HC, but Jones likes him more now than ever.