1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Josh Chapman played most of 2011 for Alabama on torn ACL, meniscus

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 18, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received

I cant emphasize this enough, draft this guy mid rounds on, cant have enough of this type player.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/josh_chapman_played_most_of_20.html
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    They are projecting him on NFL draft scout as a 2nd-3rd round player.

I'm worried that he probably won't contribute much next year given that he is only having surgery now.

I'd take a flyer on him in the 5th or 6th round.

He has a prototypical NT build and is apparently very strong. We are going to need someone to play NT with Brent if Rat is moving to play more at DE. We can probably get by with a rotation of Brent/Lissemore/Rat this year and hopefully it can be Chapman/Brent next year.

The only thing I'm worried about is if he injured his knee by delaying the surgery. The loss of stability could have extended the cartilage damage. It will be very important to see how the meniscus heals and to make sure his articular cartilage is in good shape before spending a draft pick on him. I'd want to see the surgeon's report and get an MRI just before the draft.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Well that kinda sucks. I have us taking him in the 2nd as u can see below. That definitely puts a damper on that. Amazing that he was able to tough it out but it probably just cost him a lot of $.
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......dude is a WARRIOR no question...but I just can NOT see drafting any more players with injuries that will prevent them from contributing the first year: we simply aren't that good guys.We need help NOW.....if we were as good and deep at that position as SF or the gspots...I'd say heck yes.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    This is a lower risk medical issue. The guy was still a supreme run stuffer on one leg. It is not like he will play worse when it is fixed. Only question is when will he be ready to play again. All I know is he should wear the star anywhere from 3rd round on.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,009 Likes Received
    I remember the year Matthews, Maualuga and Cushing came out of USC and I just one of their linebackers, just one.

I feel the exact same way about Alabama's front 7, I just want a piece of it.
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    We have a history of takeing this type of player, Canty, Lee, Carter. Why not Chapman. Maybe we can get him with a 4th rounder knowing if he was healthy he would be atop 50 pick.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,252 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    I'd be all over him in the 3rd if he's available. Even if his rehab takes him through training camp, it's not like there is a whole lot that a DT needs to learn to be effective.

He's not the biggest guy in the world though, might need to bulk up some.