1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Josh Robinson 4th Round?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Tobal, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,989 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Where is Josh Robinson going? Just heard an interview with the kid, seems like a sharp kid. Not sure how good he is, but I like smart players.
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,415 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    Tobal, take this for what it is worth from a UCF alumnus that has watched almost every game of Robinson's career.

To me, Robinson comes out as a better version of Orlando Scandrick. He is about an inch shorter (5'10") and about five pounds heavier. I suspect that he is much faster because he plays very fast, but I will not swear to that until I see him at the combine. There is usually very little separation between Josh and his receiver. He knows how to play tight without touching the receiver.

Robinson has been lined up against the other teams best receiver since his freshman year and usually in isolation. I have seen him use his speed to make plays when it looks like his man had beaten him. He had a good game against AJ Green about a year ago (I believe they threw at AJ about fifteen times and he ended up with eight catches for 77 yards with an interception and no touchdowns). Josh played the majority of the game in man iso (no Safety help).

Strengths: Josh is fast and he plays that way. He has good instincts. He is a very willing tackler. He very seldom gives up a big play. As you observed, he is a good kid and is very coachable.

Weaknesses: Josh sometimes can stare in the backfield too much and can get caught up in double moves because of it. He probably relies on his speed too much and will need to be more fundamental in the NFL. He has a tendency to tackle too high.

Return Man: Josh has the talent to be a great return man if he gets good coaching. He was one of the best in the NCAAs in 2010, but his production fell of the map in 2011. Some of that is a concentration issue on Robinson, but I would also point to poor special teams coaching at UCF.

Robinson could be good starting db in the NFL if he has the right coaching to help him on perfecting his craft. He has the talent.

I think his combine numbers will put him in the third or fourth. Hope that helps.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I took consensus rankings from about 10 Big Boards online and right now, he's at about 99th, ahead of guys like
    • Donnie Fletcher
    • Dequan Menzie
    • Jamell Fleming
    • Josh Norman
    • Trumaine Johnson
    • Leonard Johnson
    I like him too and I'm hoping based on this class that we will at least draft 2 CBs in the draft.
  4. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,989 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    thanks for the info, was just curious. Like I said I enjoyed listening to the kid, had all the right answers, but didn't sound coached, seemed genuine.
  5. Deuce511

Deuce511 New Member

28 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've seen every game the kid has played at UCF including bowl games. He's a legit 3/4th round pick right now and after he runs his 40 and shuttle drill at the combine he may solidify himself in the 3rd and possibly move up higher. He can play both man and zone, but his man skills were very impressive against high level talent (AJ Green - '10 Liberty Bowl). He's also got very good ball skills whether it's going for the INT or just swatting it away.
  6. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    In our mock draft that we did, he's still available in the 5th. I don't see this being realistic in April, but I would love him in the 3rd.
  7. Deuce511

Deuce511 New Member

28 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's a deep DB draft so anything's possible, but I think his return skills and 40 times will keep him in the top 3 rounds.