1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Josh Thomas CB... something I noticed

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by AsthmaField, May 2, 2011.

1. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,835 Messages
    2,283 Likes Received
    Comparing Josh Thomas to some of the other corners in this draft, I noticed that he has some really long arms, which will help him in a number of ways, including jamming receivers at the line.

Here are some arm lengths and wing-spans of some of the other DB's:

Player.................Arm............Wingspan............Height
    Josh Thomas......31 5/8............76 1/8.............5-10 1/4
    P Amukamara.....30 1/2.............71 1/2...............6-0
    P Peterson............32.................78.................6-0 1/4
    B Harris.............30 1/8.............74 1/4..............5-9 1/2
    J Smith..............32 1/4.............77 5/8..............6-2 1/4
    A Williams...........31 1/2.............75 3/4.............5-11 7/8

Only Jimmy Smith and Patrick Peterson have longer arms and a bigger wingspan than Thomas. Smith is 4 inches taller than Thomas and Peterson is 2 inches taller and yet both of them barely have a bigger wingspan than he does.

Another thing that sticks out is how short Amukamara's arms are for his height. He is almost two inches taller than Thomas and yet his wingspan is about 5 inches less than the Dallas draftee's.

It isn't an earth shattering discovery, but having longer arms does help a cornerback and it's nice to know that our guy has some of the longer arms among all DB's in this year's draft.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice work. It should be noted though that there were a lot of CBs at the combine that had longer arms than Thomas.

You're right, Amukamura's arms/hands are abnormally short/small which matters as a DB.

Thomas actually has pretty good athletic ability. I like him as a prospect 1,000x more than last year's 6th round pick, Jamar Wall.

4.50 forty
    38.5 vertical
    10'6" broad jump
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,558 Messages
    3,842 Likes Received
    It's important. Interesting. Thanks for posting.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    anyone care to post the arm length/wingspan of our other CB's on the roster.
    Newman
    jenkins
    ball
    scandrick
    McCann
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think Parcells noted in his draft special that Prince has really short arms and that it was cause for alarm.

When you combine the long arms and the 38 inch vert, it's not hard to see why Thomas had so many passes broken up in college. Now if we can just get him to catch the ball.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    we should have roy i mean miles darn i mean dez teach him to catch:laugh2:
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    biggest reason i didnt want brandon harris , The guys to small. deshawn jackson is bigger than him.

I like what im reading about this kid, I still very much wanted davon house i cant belive he fell to the end of the 4th but this kid likes to hit we need some toughness on this D espcially the secondary. and hopefully it's contagious you hear me Jenkins! im talking to you