1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

JSOnline polls NFL scouts for opinions of DL (JJ Watt featured)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Apr 25, 2011.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    IMHO, JSOnline is the 2nd best draft source behind Goose.

2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

25,370 Messages
    4,831 Likes Received
    My concern is that since the guy doesn't have elite rush skills we are looking at 3-4 sacks at most in our defense. A lot like Spears on that skill, but in the run stopping department I am concerned he won't have the power that Spears has shown. Maybe he makes it up by being more active than Spears. I just don't like taking 3-4 DEs high unless they are thought to be elite in the mold of a Bruce Smith or Mario Williams.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    Hmm, I'm surprised they like Watt so much better than Jordan. I like Jordan better from my interweb scouting. I think that Carriker comparison is pretty good, and pretty scary. If anything, I think Carriker was probably a better college player.

Also, too bad Von Miller wasn't in there with the ends. The 34-43 thing really seems to confuse most writers.

Also... If Bowers' knee isn't really that bad, someone is going to get a steal.
  4. canters

canters Well-Known Member

2,460 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    JJ Watt will be a solid DE in this league for years. That being said, I do not get the apparent love affair JJ has for him. He is a good character guy, but I do not see him really upgrading the D. He is not worth the #9 pick.

If we really love Watt, a trade down sceanario must be in place with someone in the late teen range, where Watt's value may well be.

I have to wonder IF we pass on Watt, might he still be on the board at #40?
    I cannot say that I would be that surprised if he lasted to the late, late first round.
  5. Duane

Duane Well-Known Member

6,948 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Maybe it was the games I watched or his role on the defense but I didn't see Watt anchor very well.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

36,903 Messages
    4,588 Likes Received
    I think Watt will be the better player. I actually find them close to even as players, except I give Watt a bonus for the type of person he is. He is a leader and very vocal. Defenses need guys like this.

Give me JJ Watt over Jordan.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

36,903 Messages
    4,588 Likes Received
    From what I saw, he needs better technique and get a bit bigger and stronger. All three he no doubt can obtain. He can start at DE this season.

His work ethic and mentality for the game is very much like Sean Lee's.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I always see him as Tyler Brayton.

9. fishspill

fishspill Well-Known Member

2,155 Messages
    857 Likes Received
    From the article:
    "He could," an NFC personnel man said. "He really doesn't corner well enough to be an end in a 4-3 and I wish he was a little bit squarer player to play 5-technique (end in a 3-4). He doesn't line up and two-gap people. He reminds me a little bit of the Nebraska kid that St. Louis took. Kind of angular like that. It's really hard to fit (Watt)."

The scout was referring to Adam Carriker, whose height, weight, speed, strength and intelligence were almost identical to Watt's when he was drafted 13th by the Rams in 2007.

Not that I agree with the scout , but #41gy was chastised for expressing this very view. Well here's a scout saying the same thing. A friendly reminder that most of us don't know enough to eviscerate anyone else's point of view.

Unless it's to draft Wisniwski. Then you're just a fool. :wink3:
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,915 Messages
    1,086 Likes Received
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    who are you comparing Carriker to. I hope not Watt. I don't see it. Watt compares to Juston Smith to me.

I'm high on Jenkins. He needs to get stronger but that wont take much. I would love to see dallas trade back take Castanzo then get Harris, trade the extra 3rd and 4th to get a late 2nd add Rackley and get Jarvis Jenkins in the 3rd. You get a starting RT,LG, a #3 CB and future replacement for Newman, and a 34 DE
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Justin Smith coming out of college was 265 lbs. and was running 4.6's. He was an 11 sack, 24 TFL guy his last year in college. He was a vastly superior athlete to Watt, which is why he was a Top 5 draft pick. The only thing JJ Watt has in common with Justin Smith is skin color.
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

37,625 Messages
    22,001 Likes Received
    I prefer Jordan as well, but Watt's desire is probably what impresses some people. He does fit the "high motor" profile to the letter. Ryan Kerrigan is another in that stereotype that it appears is the rage these days. Everyone wants another Kyle Vanden Bosch or Aaron Kampmann.

If there is one thing scouts and evaluators do, is that they spend awful amounts of time deciding who the prospect reminds them of. And it can lead to mistakes if they do not do their homework.
  14. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

394 Messages
    13 Likes Received

There's no way we better take Watt's at nine. I don't see the love affair with Watt's.
  15. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

11,343 Messages
    3,003 Likes Received
    Definitely, nobody on this forum wants Watts

JJ Watt on the other hand could very well be our guy
  16. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    887 Likes Received
    That is what the so called experts said about Bobby "Barbie Doll" Carpenter. I think that Watt would be a good player but I am more incline to draft Tyron Smith. There are a lot of DE in this draft that we could get in the later rds.