1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Judging Jerry by how he addresses the o-line

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

892 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Unlike some, I actually think Jerry may have improved as GM. Maybe. I'm still not fully convinced. This last offseason, he did make some good moves to shore up our lousy secondary. However, our o-line basically blew up in our faces. I have some hope that Costa will turn out to be a quality center, but we really didn't see enough of him. Jerry can't go out and sign a bunch of Pro-Bowl o-linemen. He's going to have to do it in the draft and reasonably priced free agents and by having a good understanding of the true potential of the linemen we already have. And we have to have some depth. This is a tall order.
  2. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For years and years - way back to the Parcells days - this team has had deficiencies at FS and OL.

Tell me I'm wrong? I know I'm not. Year after year, we all say the same thing, we need a FS and better OL. Here we are this offseason saying it AGAIN!

This is where I find fault with Jerry Jones as GM, becuase these positions are a recurring problem and always left neglected.

You can tell me all you want that Jerry has tried to fix these positions, but I don't count patchwork attemps as trying.

I will view Jerry Jones as a failed GM until he owns up and realizes these positions - which are critical to fix - can only be fixed in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

All Jerry has ot show for this is drafting Tyron Smith in the first round. But he balances that out by sticking us with Doug "the human turnstyle" Free on the other end.

Rediculous!
  3. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,388 Messages
    113 Likes Received
    O and D lineman are not flashy enough for this GM in the first round. Im predicting Lacy in the first round.
  4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,376 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I am not getting my hopes up about drafting O-line early.Its the best way to get back into the playoffs but Jerry will probably throw away another 4th rd pick on a unknown small school guy who wont contribute in the first year.
  5. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

892 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Man, I hope you guys are wrong. This year screamed "O-line needs HELP!" more than any other year. It was really obvious. I got a tiny smidgen of hope when Jerry brought in Coach Callahan to be the o-line coach. But if Jerry's capable of ignoring it this year, he's capable of ignoring a sledge hammer to a foot.
  6. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll bet he addresses them quite sternly if their play does not improve.
  7. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Since he has already talked positive about this OL since the season ended. I highly doubt we do much in FA or the draft to address the OL. Thus, add another year to being irrevleant when it comes to competing for Super Bowls.

To compete, this OL needs overhauled. Since the OL is not flasy, it won't be done.

I predict the starting line-up for 2013 will be

Smith/Livings/Costa/Berny/Parnell
  8. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea, cause he always tells it like it is.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,806 Messages
    5,333 Likes Received
    I can't even wrap my head around the notion that there are Cowboys fans out there still waiting to judge Jerry.

That verdict's been in years and years ago.
  10. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,378 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    You can blame Jerry for the teams slide in the toilet over the last 15 years, but can you directly blame him for who the pick in the first? I was under the impression the scouts and coaches are putting names forward and a consensus is being reached.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,229 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    So it's Jerry's fault Free went back to the right side and completely sucked last year?
  12. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I have always said that Jerry has done a very good job, and that he has always got the players his coaches wanted. Unlike many I believe that our problems since our dynasty days has been the Head coaches, which was Jerry's choices.

Now he has the right HC, in place finally, it tool him long enough. The only thing I fault Jerry for is how long it took him to find the right coach.
  13. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,046 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    We just have to keep hitting on our 1st and 2nd rounders, and 1 or 2 other's in the draft and this team will keep getting better.

2010:
    Dez, Lee, Lissemore

2011:
    Smith, Carter, Murray, Harris

2012:

Claiborne and still some promise with Hanna/Crawford/Johnson?

Dallas needs another 2011 draft this year and things will really be looking up!
  14. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Jerry has improved greatly as a GM from his first go round in the 90's!

Jerry has one real weakness as a GM...The Quarterback position

He always believed as long as he had Troy Aikman he could win a Title, so he stuck with Troy Aikman until he was atleast three years past his prime, and now he believes he can win a Title with Romo, he can't.

Qusstion:Is Tony Romo our Rajon Rondo?
  15. big dog cowboy

48,229 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    This thread is about judging Jerry and the OL not QB's.
  16. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,225 Messages
    1,970 Likes Received

And exactly what tells you we have the right head coach in place? (since you are using the selection of head coaches as your measuring stick for Jerry)

His .500 career coaching record?

His game management problems?

His inability to call any plays to counter a blitz?

Seriously, what in the world have you seen that makes you think we finally have the right coach in place? And please give an actual reason, not that "they play hard and never quit".

I am sure the players in Chicago played hard and never quit either, still didnt stop Lovie from getting fired, so apparently this is not an indication that you have the right head coach in place, just because the players play hard and dont quit.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You are right. When did it become a sign of a great coach if his players don't quit? Is this what our expectations have come to? A player quitting has nothing to do with the coach. It just shows poor character on the players part. Garrett has done nothing to prevent these players from quitting. Each player makes that decision on his own. I guess after the Wade debacle, having a team that doesn't quit is some accomplishment for this team.

I hate to tell the fans, but there are coaches at all levels that have teams that don't quit. Many of these coaches can manage a clock and make adjustments to blitzing better than Garrett. The players that quit on Wade should have been cut. They have no heart and quit again.
  18. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    GMs are responsible for managing the quality of the rosters, position by position, and paying out contracts to match the players' talent and productivity at those positions.

What do think the answer to your question is? Mine is a simple "YES!"
  19. big dog cowboy

48,229 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Free plays good at RT two years ago so there was no reason to expect him to be the disaster he was last year. So you want to blame Jerry for that? Wow.
  20. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,634 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It fits his anti-Jerry agenda.