1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just Another Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Biggems, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Trade down in the 1st and add a 2nd
    Trade down in the 2nd and add a 3rd
    Trade down in the 5th and add a 6th
    Trade the 6th for two 7ths
    Trade down in the 6th and add another 7th

1 - OG Jonathan Cooper - UNC
    We need interior OL help in the worst way. Cooper is a flat out stud. He also plays with a mean streak, something our OL desperately needs.

2 - S Kenny Vacarro - Texas
    We need safety help. There are several options to choose from, but I went homer on this one. Vacarro can cover and hit. He has very good range and plays with a violent streak. The other option for me would be McDonald.

3 - OC Khaled Holmes - USC
    We need a Center. Costa has improved quite a bit, but he cannot seem to stay healthy. Holmes plays angry and can be the QB of our OL, something we need.

3 - RB Kenjon Barner - Oregon
    Felix most likely won't be back. Murray cannot stay healthy. Dunbar is a nice backup, but he isn't a carry the load kind of guy. Barner can be a workhorse for you and he does it all. Murray, Dunbar, and Barner would definitely make me smile.

4 - OT Kyle Long - Oregon
    He has steadily worked his way up the draft board. He is an athletic specimen. He plays with attitude. I am disappointed with Free. Maybe the Long pick will help get Free back on track.

5 - DT Brandon Williams - Missouri Southern State
    This guy can ball. He may be at a small school, but he plays big. Now, more than ever, with the Brent situation, we need a DT. This guy has high character and a very nice upside. IMO, he will be the steal of this draft for us.

6 - ILB Bruce Taylor - VT
    You can never have too many LBs. At this point in the draft, Taylor is a very nice prospect. He can get to the QB and stuff the run. He is also pretty good in pass coverage. I believe he can make a quality reserve to Carter and Lee.

7 - OLB Quanterus Smith - Western Kentucky
    He is hurt, out for the year with a serious injury. He was a mid-round prospect before the injury. I say take a flyer on him and give him a year to rehab at the team facility. I believe he is worth the 7th round pick we will throw at him. The guy was a flat out beast this year before the injury.

7 - CB Melvin White - Louisiana-Lafayette
    He can play CB or S. He has a good combination of size and speed. At this point in the draft, he is a very nice pick up.

7 - OT Terron Armstead - Arkansas-Pine Bluff
    He is big, lean, and athletic. He is over 300 lbs and he doesn't have that classic bulging gut. The guy is built. There is a youtube video of him. Check it out. He gets to the second level with great ease. He does a very nice job at pulling. If he were at a D-1 school, he would probably be a 2nd - 3rd round prospect at worst.
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,858 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Just not a huge fan of Mocks that include trade downs. Since we'll likely be between 15-20, we could easily trade back just to watch Cooper/Jones go right before our pick. Then we're almost forced to reach for a different prospect.

Then how many of the 4 picks in rounds 6-7 will make the team? Having an extra third is nice, but it isn't worth the risk of losing who ever we are targeting.
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received

maybe all 10 players make the team, maybe they dont. we do a great job of adding undrafted free agents every year. I am considering the three 7th round picks as UDFAs basically. If you are going to limit the number of picks because you fear they may not make the team, why draft at all. I dont really care if all the players drafted make the team. I care that we get good, quality picks that have a great chance to help make this team better. If they aren't good enough to make the team, so be it. Hopefully the player that beat them out does great things for us.
  4. Manwiththeplan

4,858 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    And FWIW, I don't see us taking a safety that high. I would if there was an outstanding value, but there likely isn't. Between Sensabaugh, who I like more than most, but in reality is slightly above average and Church who played very little and is coming of an achilies, they have their starters. Doesn't make sense, I know, but unless they have a guy who they believe is a day 1 starter and there are no O-lineman/D-lineman with similar grades, they won't take a safety.

Then on top of that is everyone's favorite Mary Sue, Matt Johnson.
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I like Sensabaugh as well.

Matt Johnson better heal up and get on the field. We need to see what we have in this guy. He better not be Justin B part 2.
  6. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    I really like the first two picks. I don't see Vaccaro slipping into the second though. I do like McDonald as well.
  7. Manwiththeplan

4,858 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Not really what I was trying to say. Limiting the picks would be like me saying trade all of our picks for 1 or 2 really good prospects. I'm questioning the wisdom in trading down and stock piling that many lasy draft picks because if we miss out on Cooper or Jones in round 1, that third we netted isn't worth it. And missing our 2nd or 3rd target isn't worth the late draft picks you have us getting
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,120 Messages
    2,971 Likes Received

I love the mock.

You traded down for an extra 2nd but I don't see the pick.
  9. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    oops you are correct.....Khaled Holmes was supposed to be the other 2nd round pick.

WR Quinton Patton was to be the first of our 3rd round picks.

1 Cooper
    2 Vacarro
    2 Holmes
    3 Patton
    3 Barner
    4 Long
    5 Williams
    6 Taylor
    7 Smith
    7 White
    7 Armstead
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received

I get what you are saying....but this is a mock, a pretend scenario....and in my pretend scenario, we trade down and still get the picks I want. I am banking on the fact that Guards tend to drop come draft time. DeCastro was the stuff last year and still fell to the mid 20s. There is no reason to believe that the same won't and can't happen to Cooper or any other G.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Smith could really fall and be a value.
  12. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    yup, I think taking a safety in the 2nd is too high.. If you see any good value at NT or DE, you have to take that player