1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just don't get Barron

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TXCowboyVol, Apr 21, 2012.

1. TXCowboyVol

TXCowboyVol Active Member

323 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Roy Williams was more decorated and highly-touted coming out of OU than Barron, and we all know how that ended up. Maybe I'm missing something here...please compare and contrast the 2 styles. I just see RW all over again...
  2. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Active Member

196 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    God I am getting so sick of people comparing him to RW31... Roy couldn't cover to save his life. Barron is actually very good in coverage... that's all you need to know. He is a better complete player.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    Roy was an in the box, hard hitting run stuffer in college.

Barron has been a cover safety. Two entirely different guys.
  4. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Also let's not forget how awesome Roy was in his first 4 or 5 years here. Make no mistake about it... if a Roy Williams clone (prospect out of college, not circa 2008) was there we'd take him in a heartbeat.
  5. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    He reminds me of Sean Taylor with better ball and coverage skills, instincts, and leadership.
  6. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,916 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    RW could have continued to be good if he would have lost weight instead of gained it.
  7. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,415 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    If you really look at how he played, I would say he was very good his first 2 years. After that, he started getting exposed IMO. I know he kept making Pro Bowls, but I don't believe they were deserved.
  8. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Im worried about thos pick alot. When all the scouting reports first came out, they said he was an in the box safety that didnt cover well. Obviously they based that off his on field performance. Because the combine hadnt taken place. In addition he was considered a 2nd rnd pick. Now we are taking him with the 14th pick. Ive youtubed him. I dont see him coverimg alot and intercepting passes. I see him hitting hard. Im seriously worried aboit this, if we do take him. Id feel alot better if we traded down to the 20s and got him anf an extra 2 or 3. I just dont see what has changed that shot him into the lower teens. I dont think he will be the best player on the board at 14. Which means we will be picking him because we need a safety, not picking bpa.

uote=CowboysLaw87;4516341]Also let's not forget how awesome Roy was in his first 4 or 5 years here. Make no mistake about it... if a Roy Williams clone (prospect out of college, not circa 2008) was there we'd take him in a heartbeat.[/quote]
  9. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Bama played a sophisticated defense where Barron was the signal caller in the secondary. He played in the box, centerfield and also was used in the slot occasionally. He looks like he is well versed in playing coverage schemes. He stays in his depth when playing centerfield and keeps balls in front of him.

His tackling seems sound. He wraps up and keeps the player in front of him to make the stop. Takes good angles so he doesn't over run the play and have to reach out and make a horse collar tackle. He still needs work though, I saw him leave his feet to try and tackle smaller quicker players.

I think he is more versatile than Roy coming out of college, where RW was never asked to cover TE's, slot receivers and backs. Stoops knew RW's strength was to keep him in the box and let him seek out and destroy running plays.

Barron is not the second coming of Ed Reed or Troy P, but to compare him to RW could be a big mistake.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    [/QUOTE]They really didn't all say that, though. Maybe one or two did, but pretty much everyone has said all along that this guy can cover.
  11. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    This. I was going to ask who you were listening to in the previous post, James, because there were only a couple that were talking about him being strictly an in-the-box safety. The ones who had actually watched his film for the past couple of years knew that he was asked to play that role more last year, but has proven he can do both.
  12. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The people who are worried are uninformed.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,890 Messages
    1,784 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    RW made alot of money of that Chris Simms hit in the TU/OU game.
  15. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    One of the things that annoys me about the Roy Williams talk is how people seem to forget that Dallas got near Hall of Fame production from him for a while. His first five years or so were a raging success. Yeah, he fell off afterwards, but I think most teams would take that kind of production from a first round draft pick. Don't act like he was some kind of failure.

The game changed on him, and he couldn't adjust. But he was great for a while.
  16. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,874 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    To my mind, Roy Williams was correctly evaluated as a top 10 pick and played like a top 10 pick for several years. The fact that he faded unusually early in his career is irrelevant, unless you believe that there was some way to foresee that before the draft. Roy was a success of the Cowboys' draft process, not a failure.
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,833 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    The big difference........................Coverage abiltiy.

RW could not cover my grandmother with her walker, seriously. Barron is not Ed Reed or Palamaluo, but he played "center feild" alot at Bama and played it very, very well.

Barron may not be a probowl safety, but he could start day 1 for over half the teams in the league. I still prefer DeCastro at 14, but if we do end up with Barron I am not going to lose sleep over it.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yep, he was a BAMF for a couple of years. Barron's best will likely never be as good as Roy's best. Probably not even close.

That doesn't mean he couldn't be a good pick, though I'm really not that sold on him from what little I've seen.
  19. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    wow, i don't see sean taylor in barron at all
  20. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,738 Messages
    183 Likes Received

This is how I feel exactly.