1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just finding out about the greatness of The Sopranos

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Normally I typically only watch Japanese Anime. But in the last year or so, I have been watching highly regarded series that ended such as The Wire and The West Wing.

I have now just started the first season of The Sopranos to see what the big fuss is about. I have to tell you Tony Soprano has to be one of the greatest TV Series characters I have ever seen.

As I stated, I am on Season one, but which season is regarded as the best season? A friend of mine said Season two is the best.

This show is extremely good.
  2. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,324 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Based on the statement in paragraph 1, not really the most ringing endorsement, but yea, glad you're enjoying it.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm not one to watch much TV outside of football, but when I first got married, I lived with the In-Laws until our place was finished and I ended getting snagged on the Sopranos.

Really enjoyed the show and kept it up until the end. I can't say which season was the best, but you won't be disappointed.
  4. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Dude where you been. The show basically pushed HBO to the forefront of television.

Simply one of the finest shows ever made. The first three seasons are all very good.
  5. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One of my favorite series of all time.

Do yourself a favor though, and stop watching before the last season-and-a-half.

Seasons 1-4 were masterful.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,702 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Disagree. Watch them all. The last season and a half is slow, but still some of the best television in history.

Great ending, of course.
  7. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I just have a rule that I don't start a series that isn't complete. I know that is odd, but I would rather have the entire series available before starting it.

Great show. I am about to watch the last episode of Season 1.

After watching Season 1, so far, I still think The Wire is just as good.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,950 Messages
    1,211 Likes Received
    It was a fine show- but honestly the Godfather did it better 30 years ago.
    So I never have really fawned all over it like all too many do. It was not ground breaking- it was not original in many ways. So a lot of the praise I look at with frankly a doubtfull view. Watch the Godfather parts 1 and 2 THEN watch the Sopranos.
  9. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,261 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I think the Wire is a better overall show, but the first couple seasons of the Sopranos was great television.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I love The Wire and The Sopranos so it's hard for me to say which is better. The one thing they have in common to me is the final season of both weren't as good the rest of the season. I didn't like the press angle of the final season of the wire.

One thing that is funny though is that I watched an old episode Oz the other day and there were at least 4 or 5 actors from The Wire in the episode.

Daniels, Carver, Herc, Bodie and several others played bit parts through the series.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,659 Messages
    2,679 Likes Received
    The first four seasons of the sopranos are easily the best. The last season was pretty good but man alive the ending will irk you some.

Comparing the godfather and the sopranos really is not all that wise IMO.

They are two different things and the only thing they really had in common were that they dealt with the mafia...other than that they were very different and each deserves it's credit for what they did.

I hope you get to season 3 soon and really get a good laugh at the Pine Barrens episode. Easily one of the funniest of the series.

One thing about the sopranos that used to really bug me is they would have a story line and then for what ever reason they would seem to forget about certain aspects of it when transitioning from season to season.

The pine barrens is a good example of it. Part of it is they are looking for someone to see if he was dead or still alive. Once the season is over they do not even mention the person for another couple of seasons and when they do it is a like a one or two line mention of it.

Either way, really love the sopranos.

One last thing. You might notice it or you may not. I really did not notice it as much until I went back and started watching the first season again. Tony (james gandolfini sp?) really REALLY balloons up.
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    See that is what I was curious about. I know alot of people here probably didn't watch The West Wing, but to me it was a very well done show and the last season was the best.

The last season of The Wire sucked. It was like they didn't know that the 5th season was the last until the middle and they had to figure out how to kill all the characters.

Also, if you ever watch The West Wing, they had several characters from The Wire make appearances. I know Rhonda Pearlman, Daniels, D'Angelo's mother and Bodie were on there.
  13. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Law and Order uses the same pool of actors also. When I first watched it I said hey that's so and so from The Wire or Oz or The Sopranos. :laugh2:
  14. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,779 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I would say the first half the series was a consistent 9 out of 10.

The 2nd half of the series was very inconstent. Youll get 1 great episode followed by an episode of just dreams.

And Ive never made it through the Godfather, I can only last like a half hour.
  15. yesfan

yesfan Active Member

1,292 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Absolutely agree,those two movies are at the top when it comes to
    movie making. But i love Paulie Walnuts character in the Sopranos.
  16. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great show, but I'm a bigger fan of The West Wing personally. If only it were real. :mad:
  17. theogt

43,702 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    The Wire isn't even in the same class as The Sopranos.
  18. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Couldn't disagree more. I'm even tempted to say it's better. But really, it's like comparing The Beatles and The Stones (or Stevie Ray and Jimi...)

Sopranos: First two seasons are masterful. Seasons 3 and 4 for me, are just a shade below form. Season 5 is a spectacular return to form (with the bonus of having Steve Buscemi on board.) Season 6 (both parts) is inconsistent, but with great moments (I loved the ending.)

Anyways, let's just say you're in for a real treat.
  19. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As the great Clay Davis would say, "Shhhhhh*****ttt"!
  20. theogt

43,702 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Except The Wire doesn't have near the following or the acclaim as The Sopranos. And there's a reason for that.

It's more like comparing The Beatles and some underground local band that has a strong, but small, following.