1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just for the Garrett Haters

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rcaldw, Aug 8, 2012.

1. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,999 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Just keep on hating! :) You won't tweet a sound after this season. Let's see if I'm right.
  2. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,999 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Of course! What are you saying here that is novel? Nothing. What is ridiculous, however, is the notion that he is supposed to change the culture of what was a lax team over night. I love what he's doing. The roster is looking better and better, and the MINDSET of this team is night and day different. If you can't see that, you just don't want to.
  3. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I'm not all that concerned about red zone performance - we were actually ok in that area. It's generalized short yardage situations that we were historically bad in.

I think some posters rightfully point out that the lack of push in the middle was a contributing factor, and at some point the interaction of this with the coach is tough to parse out. In other words, knowing that an inside run was likely to be stuffed, Garrett sometimes "looked cute" on his play calls, but there wasn't always a great alternative. The evidence of awful 3rd and 4th and short rushing was pretty prevalent.

The big annoyance I had on the predictability side was that Garrett never adjusted to the fact that we just weren't that effective - especially running - out of our heavy TE sets. We run 22 roughly twice as much as the league average, and when we do it, we go to the ground game 90% of the time. It typically wasn't a successful package for us. We also run the 13 nearly 3x as much as the league average, and it was not a great package for us. Obviously we run the 12 a lot as well, but this is actually a passing formation for us, whereas the rest of the league biases toward the run - this was our most effective multi-TE personnel. In all, the Cowboys ran multiple tight end sets a whopping 53% of the time last year, compared with an NFL average of 32%.

With Bennett gone and with hopefully better pass pro from the young O-line, I expect us to scale back a bit on these personnel packages. But then, I also expected that mid-season last year. We'll see.
  4. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,999 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    If you listen to the clip, it is a lot more than "we're behind coach 100%". A LOT MORE. It was something offered up ON HIS OWN, (not a question that prompted it), it INCLUDED SPECIFIC REASONS (such as discipline and attention to detail), and it was REPEATED more than once in the interview.

If you listen to the Jason Witten clip (same site), you will see that Garrett is instilling a mindset directly opposite of what you hear from Jerry Jones (we are in no position to be talking). Just listen to the Witten clip. And again you will hear praise for Garrett.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos/Witten-There-Isnt-Much-Room-For-Us-to-be-Talking/aadf34b9-640b-4614-ae1b-ae3ac4c9b367
  5. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What I said was certainly anything but novel. However, It seems as though you want us to buy into something other than the bottom line and that's winning. Also, how do you substantiate what the mindset of the team is?? Once again, tying to sell intangibles. Sorry, I'll buy this when I see it on the field and in wins and losses.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,491 Messages
    1,680 Likes Received
    Dude we heard all that crap with Wade here too. The Cowboys have been saying the right things and backing their Head Coach for yeeeaaars now. Nothing new.

All that matters are the results.
  7. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,999 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Dude, the stuff that the team "backed" in Wade is the stuff that poisons and ruins football teams. It is not whether they back a coach (the team backed Bozo too), it is what the coach is selling that they are backing. Wade sold good ole boy, laid back, family love, have fun, yada yada yada... Its the same stuff his father sold. It is a philosophy that surely can work on a short term basis (it did in Houston also), but is not a long term plan for success. The stuff that allowed Landry 20 plus straight years of winning is the stuff we need. Discipline, attention to detail, not too high, not too low, work hard, and believe in the plan. You will get your results soon enough. That's not crap, that's called a winning recipe.
  8. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,999 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Personally, I don't care whether you buy it or not (I don't mean that in a smarty way, I just mean I'm not trying to convince you). And do you really think a person's mindset doesn't shine through in what they say? And do you not think that at times you can tell the difference between the company line and what someone really believes in? Listen to Ware. That wasn't company line. No one asked him a question about it, he volunteered it. He believes it.
  9. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'd love to actually see this consistently on the field. Unfortunately right now, it's more perception than reality and this has been a problem here for a while.
  10. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Red zone calls are fine, it's all about execution. Oh, and talent. Anyone can move the ball between the twenties, the red zone separates the good teams from the bad. Because the field is shorter, it really comes down to which team wins the one on one battles. Which is why offensive and defensive rankings should each be based on one thing and one thing only -- points scored and points against.

This team isn't bad in the red zone because of poor play calling. It's bad in the red zone because the team just isn't very good. And Garrett takes the blame because he's forced to try to scheme the team into the endzone, which predictably fails.
  11. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Discipline and attention to detail are specific reasons? They sound suspiciously like the oldest cliches in the book to me. We've been hearing this same noise for years now. The only noise I want to hear is cheering Cowboys fans when the clock strikes zero.
  12. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Yet no matter how wrong you continue to be, it never stops you from posting homer fantasies, and will do so again next year, no matter how badly this one goes.

Let's see if I'm right.
  13. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,153 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I am a huge Garrett fan and you are absolutely spot on. Having said that, I feel very confident he will get the job done and develop this team into perennial contenders. The likes of which we haven't seen for quite some time.
  14. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,999 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    I'll put my money where my mouth is.... no worse than 10-6, playoff win this year....

Or.... I post saying Double Trouble is a genius and I'm a homer doofus.

If I'm right.... you post rcaldw is a genius and I'm a Garrett doubting doofus.

Deal?

Rc
  15. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    What's the difference? You are negative about most things, why can't he have a positive outlook on things?

:cool:
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,890 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    I hope so, I wish for it, I do not hate Garrett.

I want this team to become great again and dominate.

I am ready for it.

Make it so Redheaded Step-child! Make it so.
  17. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,100 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    Got to go with this.
  18. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    In the words of Emmitt Smith "Leopard doesn't change its Stripes"!
  19. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,100 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Friggin Emmitt.
  20. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received