1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just found out something about Palin some may not know...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rack Bauer, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Not really "Politcal" related, but here goes anyway...

My cousin - who lives in Wasilla and is in town visiting - told me that in high school Palin got the nickname "Baracuda" while playing varsity basketball. Apparantly she lead the team to the state championship playing on a fractured ankle.

Pretty impressive, whether you like her or not.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,271 Likes Received
    Yeah...Well I don't know if many knew, but it has been out there and the reason they were playing heart's baracuda when she would come out to speak.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Wow. And here I thought I had some insider info cuz my cousin from Wasila told me about it.

:banghead:
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,911 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Another amusing aside to this particular tidbit is that Heart sued to have them stop using the song, but found out that they had actually gotten the rights to use it.

So, Heart just started sending all the royalties they got from the RNC/McCain campaign using the song to the Obama campaign.

I found that amusing.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,271 Likes Received
    Yes I heard the sisters were mad about and the guitarist was the one saying he would just take all the money and send it to Obama. So basically everytime they play that song for Sarah, obama get's a donation to his campaign.:laugh2:
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    i wonder how much that would be? technically there isn't anything they can do about it as far as i know so any "payment" would just be for a quick performance and not likely very much.

from an article i just found:

The Republican Party did in fact obtain the necessary license to use the song, which can be played when a venue pays a blanket fee to ASCAP, the organization that protects music copyrights.

While the Wilsons are clearly upset, "Barracuda" co-writer and former Heart guitarist Roger Fisher (Nancy's ex) has a different outlook. He's happy to receive the publicity, he told Reuters last week, and he pledged to give part of the royalties from the song's use to Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign.

-----

so if you pay ascap, you can do what you want from the venue. if the venue plays a lot of music than a yearly fee is broken down to pennies per performance. if they play it a dozen times i still don't think heart is likely to get that much money from it and is likely benefitting moreso from downloads in itunes and the pub.

also, they donate a "portion" to obama's campaign.

i'm kinda surprised heart didn't know any better and got all upset to begin with. yea, i had to go look it up because i wasn't sure how it worked at a venue vs. radio. :)
  7. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,271 Likes Received
    I just figured they thought they owned the royalties for it but found out that they did not.

Similar to how Michael Jackson bought the loyalties for all of the Beatles songs and now Paul, and the other remaining Beatles, can't do a thing when jacko sells a portion of their songs to be played in an ad.

On a side note, the irony of it all is that when jacko and Paul did that cheesy say say say song/video in the 80's Jacko was asking Paul about business matters and it was Paul that told him the thing to do is by royalties to songs...little did he know that years later that advice would bite him in his backside.
  8. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,812 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I always said she is a wacko........
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Always? Or since you first heard her name last month... ;)
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,804 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received

That's good. He's going to need it.
  11. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    if they're getting paid, they own some of the royalties i'm sure. if not, ie, they sold their library to michael jackson or something like that, they have no rights to it at all anymore.

if they have a publisher, they get their share. if not it likely falls back to heart as a business and i have no idea how they paperwork that on the back end. if i wanted to use Barracuda because i work for chrysler and wanted to being it back and use that song, i must pay for that right to use it in advertising and that's some good money.

http://www.ascap.com/about/payment/royalties.html

very good link on it and yes, i do have an interest in learning the technicalities of this for obvious reasons. :)

in any event, if they paid ascap, then no, heart can't do anything about it but what they are. they jumped the gun on making assumptions that the republican party didn't ask but since heart is registered w/ascap then all anyone has to do is pay ascap and they'll pay out according to the registered legal agreements.

i think. trick may know some details too since he's done a lot of conventions.
  12. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    this is what gets so frustrating - wouldn't matter *who* was put up there for VP. those dogging palin would just dog whoever was presented. it's their "job" and "patriotic duty" - well, on both sides when you see someone blindly go along with party politics.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,271 Likes Received
    From my understanding he pretty much kills mccain in campaign money. Although...his Obama's wife does not have as much money.:D

I need to find me a rich woman. The wife has already said she would be ok with it as long as she gets her share.:laugh2:
  14. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,882 Messages
    698 Likes Received

This is not mine so I cant take credit but its funny as heck.

Comedian says, "Michael Jackson, the only guy to start off a young black man and end up an old white woman"

:lmao2:
  15. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    We always used generic music that we paid licensing for as we used it. We had a library of thousands of music titles that closely resembled popular songs, then we would chose the theme and pay them for that particular use.

If the association wished to use copyrighted material, we normally would ask they go through ASCAP or we could do it for them.

The only issue we ever had was with Lee Greenwood. We did a patriotic slide show using "God Bless the USA. We had written him extensively before we used it and he never responded. The module was very popular and we began to use it quite a bit. We continued to make contact with him over the years but to no avail. When the song became popular again THEN he wanted royalties.

There are ways to get around licensing fees, but I won't go in to that...

Rush Limbaugh donated money to PETA after Chrissie Hynde objected to him using "My City was Gone". He had legal right to use it, but he donated as a peace offering...
  16. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,812 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Nope lived in Alaska for almost 4 years ;)
  17. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    yea, don't go into that cause i want the artists paid regardless of their politics. :)

but as long as you go through ASCAP and do what they say, heart can't stop it in the end as far as i know.
  18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    She may have been like a barracuda on the court but her behavior with the respect to the national press has been more like a timorous little guppy.
  19. iceberg

28,208 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    well it's a good thing biden is showing what a VP should be doing in the press, huh?
  20. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,271 Likes Received
    It's a good thing for both McCain and Palin when the press is covering Obama or Biden. The less press for McCain and Palin the better because one is a gaffe machine and the other makes you scratch your head.

Too bad too many in here whine about Obama's coverage instead of thanking their lucky stars for it.:laugh2: