1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Just had a great homecooked meal I would like to share

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by lane, Oct 11, 2012.

1. lane

lane The Chairman

10,721 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    i as well as alot of you probably get bored eating the same 4 or 5 meals cooked different ways.

well tonight we made:

baked chicken halves and leg quarters
    boiled rosemary and basil potatoes
    collard greens
    black eyed peas flavored with bacon

it was one of the best meals i've had.
  2. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,414 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Sounds awesome! I'll give er a try :)

Thanks bro
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,867 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    We need pictures. ;)
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sarge, meet Pinterest.com. :muttley:
  5. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The only way to improve on that would be to grow your own veggies organically and raise your own pig and chickens. That would be real country cooking and you would not want to ever go back to shopping in supermarkets. Believe it or not, that's the way we eat every day out here and we grow, raise and process our own food for that very reason. That's the way your grandparents ate all the time.

You can't get that kind of food in town which is why we seldom eat out.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Not a fan of greens but I could get down with the rest of it.
  7. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I know it sometimes seems like I am bragging about how we live out here in the peaceful tranquility of the countryside but that is not my intention. I am merely trying to show others the value of our simple way of life and the satisfactions we enjoy that are simply not available in the noise, pollution and hubub of city life.

When I lived in town i felt the need for a lot of entertainment and distractions, too but since I moved to the country, my values and sense of satisfaction with life have changed greatly and I wish to share this with others so that they, too, can enjoy life more.
  8. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Living where you live all you need for entertainment is a telescope and a bunch of books. :)
  9. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I have a 10" Dobsonian - worthless for photography but great just for looking.
  10. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm thinking about selling my 10" dob and my Les Paul guitar and using the proceeds for a C6-SGT. I will miss the extra aperture, but this should be a bit easier to travel with even though the total weight will be about the same. The C6-SGT is definitely a worthy for astrophotography if I decide to go in that direction.

With my extreme light pollution here in the New York suburbs, portability has become very important to me.
  11. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Sounds really good Lane.
  12. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,403 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Sounds good lane...but isn't it kinda a given there were leg quarters involved if you already started out w/ halves? :p: ;)
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    I'll pm you my address.
  14. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,049 Messages
    494 Likes Received
    It is all relative to one's views. Glad you are happy where you live. I love to visit the country side but it is not a place for me to settle down.
  15. lane

lane The Chairman

10,721 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    the chicken halves were for me and my oldest son.

the leg quarters were for my wife and youngest son.

it was just refreshing to try something different.

i really recommend this dinner for everyone to try....just a great combo of tastes.

next time i will make jalapeno cornbread.
  16. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can't raise my own pigs and chickens in North Richland Hills, but I'm educating my future step-sons on growing their own food. Germinating seedlings of a few different types of lettuces, carrots, corn, cucumbers, cantelopes, and watermelons that we'll be growing in our greenhouse in the winter months. I'm putting together a reflector system to add in extra light that we'll be losing in the winter months. Heating system is active and passive solar. Forgot celery and bell peppers too.

Since we've got a limited backyard, we're going petrochem hydroponic until the spring when hopefully we'll start in on organic hydroponic. Gotta have compost before you can make the tea to run through the system.

I'm looking forward to pulling off fresh veggies in December and January.

My oldest, 11, is going to do a video blog of our efforts to show folks with just 80 sq ft what you can do anytime of the year. Whether or not we're successful isn't the issue as much as getting them involved in outdoor activities and urban sustainability.
  17. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    This is true, no question about it. If everyone moved to the country, it wouldn't be the country anymore but megasuburbia.

When I was young, I loved the excitement of Dallas, with all the magnificent architecture, shopping, restaurants, bars, movies, the theatre and all the attractions but eventually my values changed. Yours may or may not change. As your post says, the important thing is being where you are happy with your life.
  18. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You are certainly off to a good start. Sometimes you can get hormone-free, antibiotic-free grass-fed beef, pork and poultry in organic grocery stores but it can get pretty expensive because it is labor intensive to raise.

There's a big movement toward urban farming going on so you will have lots of company and people you can compare notes with. I have even seen video stories of people raising fish, mostly Tilapia, in aquaria in big cities. There are also lots of community gardens where people can rent plots and grow lots of things. Not sure where the limit is.

Good luck to you.
  19. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,452 Messages
    2,063 Likes Received
    22 hours and it hasnt arrived yet
    still waiting
  20. lane

lane The Chairman

10,721 Messages
    627 Likes Received

:laugh2: