1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Justices hear arguments over school strip search

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 21, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,323 Messages
    3,191 Likes Received
    By Jesse J. Holland, Associated Press Writer – 44 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court seemed worried Tuesday about tying the hands of school officials looking for drugs and weapons on campus as they wrestled with the appropriateness of a strip-search of a 13-year-old girl accused of having prescription-strength ibuprofen.

Savana Redding was 13 when Safford, Ariz., Middle School officials, on a tip from another student, ordered her to remove her clothes and shake out her underwear looking for pills. The district bans prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

Her lawyer argued to the Supreme Court that such a "intrusive and traumatic" search would be unconstitutional in every circumstance if school administrators were not directly told the contraband was in her underwear.

"A school needs to have location-specific information" to put a child through such an embarrassing search, lawyer Adam B. Wolf said.

Would it be constitutional if officials were looking for weapons, or drugs like crack, meth or heroin? "Does that make a difference?" Justice Anthony Kennedy asked. No, Wolf replied.

That leaves school administrators with the choice of embarrassing a child through a search or possibly having other children die while in their care, Justice David Souter said. "With those stakes in mind, why isn't that reasonable?" Souter said.

Wolf said school officials violated the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches. "There needs to be suspicion that the object is under the clothes," Wolf said.

A 1985 Supreme Court decision that dealt with searching a student's purse has found that school officials need only reasonable suspicions, not probable cause. But the court also warned against a search that is "excessively intrusive."

A schoolmate had accused Redding, then an eighth-grade student, of giving her pills.

Vice Principal Kerry Wilson took Redding to his office to search her backpack. When nothing was found, Redding was taken to a nurse's office where she says she was ordered to take off her shirt and pants. Redding said they then told her to move her bra to the side and to stretch her underwear waistband, exposing her breasts and pelvic area. No pills were found.

A federal magistrate dismissed the lawsuit Redding and her mother April brought, and a federal appeals panel agreed that the search didn't violate her rights. But last July, a full panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found the search was "an invasion of constitutional rights."

The court also said Wilson could be found personally liable.

The school's lawyer argued that the courts should not limit school officials' ability to search out what they think are dangerous items on school grounds. "We've got to be able to make decisions," lawyer Matthew Wright said.

But justices worried that allowing a strip search of school age children might lead to more intrusive searches, like body cavity searches. "There would be no legal basis in saying that was out of bounds," Souter said.

Redding, now a 19-year-old college freshman living in her hometown of Safford in rural eastern Arizona, took her first airplane ride to watch the arguments. "It was pretty overwhelming," she said, standing before a bank of cameras and a few dozen reporters outside the building.

Savana Redding said she is considering becoming a counselor, which might mean she could end up working in a school. Asked how she would handle the situation as a counselor, she said she would call a student's parents first. "I didn't have that option," she said, outside the court. "I'm a little kid. I didn't have any idea how it would be handled. But my mom would."

The case is Safford Unified School District v. April Redding, 08-479.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/ap_on_go_su_co/us_scotus_school_strip_search
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,647 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
    I feel bad for the girl because it's embarrassing, but I would probably side with the school on this one. But why on earth did it take six years to be brought to court?
  3. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    You have to draw the line of "unreasonable" somewhere, and to me strip-searching a 13 year old based on some hearsay evidence provided by another 13 year old is a fair line.
  4. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Ibuprifn? wow....perscription strength is 800mgs....just take 4 over the counter versions.
  5. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    If this were my 13 yr old daughter I would have raised the roof over this THAT DAY. Im all for keeping drugs out of school but this was ibuprofen. If the school feels the need to search my child call me and my wife so we can be present.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,323 Messages
    3,191 Likes Received
    Added updated article
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,001 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    This is all about something that pretty much anyone can get legally over the counter??

Ouch.

Glad I am not in HS today. That stuff is crazy.

The one good point is that it teaches kids early about the problems of institutional power.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,223 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    That makes too much sense.