1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Justin Blackmon

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Sep 24, 2011.

1. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Broyles is more like a Steve Smith. Way more dynamic than Shipley.

I can see Blackmon getting fat one day.
  2. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    He won't be a Cowboy so its not a concern to me, the WR I love next year is Alshon Jeffery.

He's a mirror image of Calvin Johnson. Here is an article If found comparing the two.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/830813-the-tale-of-the-tape-alshon-jeffery-vs-calvin-johnson

At a rating of 9.2 your talking a top 10 pick, who may be drafted top 5 if someone has a need for him. Alshon will be a good one. I'm not as high on Blackmon, he reminds me of Mike Williams. Big Mike Williams, the seattle one.
  3. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Thatd be a waste of a first round pick.
  4. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

621 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    How? Please, do tell.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I like Jeffrey but Calvin Johnson has 4.3 speed, Alshon ain't that fast. Blackmon is nothing like Mike Williams, if anything Alshon Jeffrey is like him.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hear what you're saying, but I don't think the team can play the worst case scenario angle when putting together a roster.

IMO, the team has to believe that more times than not, both Dez and Miles are not going to be injured at the same time.

I think Laurent Robinson (6'2" 194 lbs, 4.38) could fill that role that you're speaking of. I think you have to give Jimmy Robinson the benefit of the doubt that he'll be able to develop the skills this kid has.

IMO, as it stands right now, I don't think the team has a bonafide slot/#3 type receiver. I'm actually higher on Ogletree than most folks are, but I can see this team parting ways with him if he continues to struggle mentally. The slot position is such an important role; you have to be able to trust your slot receiver to know where to line up and know how to make the proper reads. That's why we miss Crayton so much.

I have a tempered opinion on Dwayne Harris. I think he has the potential to fill that role, but so much remains to be seen with him.

Beyond that, I like some of the players you mentioned such as, Jarrett Boykins and Posey. I'm not a huge fan of Toon and I'm especially not impressed with Kearse as a pro prospect. If we were to go your route, one guy I really like that I think could be had in rounds 3-5 is Greg Childs from Arkansas. He's coming off a knee injury from late last season and is slowly working himself back into the offense.

[youtube]lmSgv7X5h0E[/youtube]
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Oh, besides getting busted for a DUI last year before the bowl game, his showboating on the field. Obviously he almost gave the game away with that ridiculous fumble through the endzone last week, and he's lucky they gave him that TD when he didn't control the ball all the way to the ground. That's a stupid rule anyway IMO, but since it's there, how about just tucking the ball away like you're taught from the time you're 10 years old?

And I see where you're located, so I'm wondering if you have a defense already prepared. Keep in mind, I really was pimping the guy's talent even last year.
  8. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    It's not really a worst case scenario strategy, I'm just under the belief that if you take a WR relatively early he needs to be someone who can be a strong presence outside first, being able to play inside should be a secondary requirement. There's a reason why guys who are solely slot receivers tend to fall in the draft.

Take a look at the Packers who have arguably the best WR corps in the league, Nelson and Jones are the #3 and #4. Both of those guys are versatile and can play inside or outside.

I don't think you need to be a protoypical "slot" guy to be a good #3 receiver, that's more of a product of the "Wes Welker Phenomenon", there are plenty of good #3 WRs around the league that don't fall into that 5'10 190 lb jitterbug stereotype. I'd rather have a more complete player as my 3rd option who can be a mismatch on the opposing teams 3rd corner.

I hear you that we need a solid inside guy but I think we already have him on this team, Miles Austin. If we were able to find someone capable of playing outside like a starter, Miles would have no problem sliding inside in 3 WR sets as he's done a very good job of it in the past.

Good call on Childs. He's another guy who would be perfect as our #3, versatile and can play inside or outside. He would be worthy of a high pick.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,878 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Sorry, that was a TD all the way. I don't think it was questionable. He caught it and controlled the ball while getting both feet in and then got hit by the defender and went to the ground. You only have to control the ball all the way to the ground if you go to the ground on your own. When a defender forces you to the ground, the rules change. There was no reason to tuck the ball in that situation.

Now the fumble for showboating was a dumb play on his part. The announcers kept talking about tucking the ball away. Sure that probably would have made a difference, but if he doesn't show boat then it is still an easy TD. It wasn't running with the ball out in front of him that was the problem. It was when he tried to lift the ball over his head where he lost it. Not a smart play.
  10. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    giants or panthers?

what makes him more dynamic than shipley?
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,878 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Shipley has an injured knee, so he isn't too dynamic right now.
  12. MarionBarberThe4th

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Shipley isnt as scary as Broyles. Shipley is more of a Patrick Crayton type. Good routes, hands, versatile.

Broyles has that ability to absolutely toast someone.
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received

Isnt Alshon Jeffey floundering right now?

Mohamed Sanu is on pace to break the big east record for catches by like 30 and he has no QB.
  14. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    lol very true
  15. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    :rolleyes: lol ok man
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sanu is a terror. Just a devastating blocker at the WR position.
  17. MarionBarberThe4th

11,959 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    :confused:

He started out as a safety. Kids not afraid of contact.

Also played a ton of wildcat so his running ability is top notch. Reminds me of a bigger(tougher) Percy Harvin in that hes not as polished and ready to go but can do many things and you want the ball in his hands.
  18. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,237 Messages
    70 Likes Received

Like you know anything about football
  19. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,260 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    TRUE, I use to say he was a Dez clone, but there is a lot of difference between the two, both are beasts, and I want Justin on the Boys to go with Miles and Dez.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2: Lol, now I got you surfing threads looking for me. You're out of pocket.