1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kawaan Short

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by kirkjrk, Jan 19, 2013.

1. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    While comparing some of the other Def. Line players that would be available for the Boys at their drafting position, I find Kawaan Short to be the leader or close in many categories. I looked at this over a two year period. TFL 1st 33 vs. (2nd)20.5; Sacks 1st 13.5 vs. (2nd) 8.5; PBU 6 vs. (2nd) 4; Int. 2 vs. (2nd) 1; Kick/Punt Blocked 5 vs. (2nd) 3. He also finished 2nd in Tackles.

The one glaring stat that he didn't even register one is QB Hurries. I went back over four years and it didn't show any for him. It's hard for me to believe with all his TFL and sacks that he didn't have at least one over four years. I've got to believe for some reason QB Hurries were not kept on him over those four years. All these stats were obtained from cfbstats.com.

Players I compared him to are:

Sheldon Richardson--1st in Tackles

Sylvester Williams--2nd in TFL; 1st in QB Hurries

Sharrif Floyd

I also did stats on Brandon Williams but could only obtain 1 year of stats and his 1 year stats were really off the wall. Keep in mind he is from a small school, but wow his stats are remarkable.

Chris Jones in the later rounds actually had comparable stats to the four I mentioned above. He was the leader or 2nd place in 4 of the stats.

Maybe if someone knows where to find more stats and has the time to do it, will check and see if Kawaan Short did have any QB Hurries in 2012 and 2011.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    Kawann Short looks terrific in the games that I've seen; however, it has been widely reported that he has work ethic issues.

Despite the work-ethic issues, you would have to consider him if he falls to the Cowboys 2nd round pick.
  3. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,307 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    The guy is an absolute monster . Plays exactly like warren sapp I would be ecstatic to have this guy .
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Gut on BTB did a statistical ananlysis on available DT's this week. Short was his top pick.
  5. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

I watch a TON of Big Ten football and he's a GOOD one no doubt. In comparing him to a couple other Purdue players he has the talent of Ryan Kerrigan but not the motor. He is similar to Anthony Spencer in talent and work ethic.(different position obviously)

He tends to take plays off at times but can be dominant at times as well. I'd GOBBLE him up in the 2nd. He would be great value there. Will he still be there though? No idea truthfully.
  6. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Possibly we could trade back to somewhere like 24th and a third # 88, then take that pick plus our second and trade up to 35-38. Cinn. has a 5th pick in second round. I think with a 24th and a 35-38th we could have a great chance to pick up 2 starters. Our next pick would then be 3rd round #82, up to 47 spots from our 2nd round pick. I would then strongly look at taking DT Brandon Williams, if available. Playoffs here we come.
  7. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    If Garrett is such a great coach/motivator, a player with questionable work ethic shouldn't matter. I bet mike tomlin would handle that appropriately.
  8. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Rod Marinelli doesn't look like he tolerates lazy guys.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    This is definitely the guy I want at 47. I think he has very little chance at going in round one, but could be a very disruptive player for us.
  10. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....he doesn't but I'm feeling SO much better about the defensive staff now that he's here: sure he'll break guys down on film technique wise but he'll be in the room for DL interviews too. I didn't cal SHort lazy but there is NO doubt he has the rep for taking plays off....that might eliminate him with Marinelli. Short is a poor man's version of Jerel Worthy, a D.tackle for Michigan State that Green bAY took high in the second round last year. (34th overall maybe)

Short can be a VERY good run stuffer but he isn't going to provide much pass rush: I agree with poster above, I wouldn't take him higher than 47th and Marktui has a point: he might not be a "marinelli guy"
  11. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I like him as we'll, don't get me wrong. Plays with his hands and is disruptive. I guess lazy might have been a harsh word. His drive compared to a Ty Crawford might be lower. But like Jimmy used to say "just give me playmakers".
  12. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,307 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    Negative sir this guy is also a stud at getting pressure . I could easily see him getting 6-10 sacks per season from the DT position . This guy has a burst that only comes around once in a while from a 300+ pound DL
  13. newlander

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........."Pessimist" cowboy calling me negative?;) .....kidding, I like this kid as you can see from my comments, we'll just see if he falls to us in 2nd round but the more I think about it: history says he won't. Def. Tackles that have this kind of skill set go off the board pretty quick: end of first round or top of 2nd for this kid would be my guess. (gives credence to the above poster that said we could trade DOWN for him in the first round...not a horrible idea)
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    In the Tampa 2 kawan short and sylvester Williams will be perfect fits and I would love either of them. Also wi would like Brandon Williams in the 4th
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    In the Tampa 2 kawan short and sylvester Williams will be perfect fits and I would love either of them. Also wi would like Brandon Williams in the 4th

I'm hoping for a trade back and add a 2nd, also trade spencer for a 3rd and 4th and walk away with
    Cooper in the late 1st
    Short and Greene in the 2nd
    Rambo and Holmes in the 3rd
    Shawn Williams and Brendon Williams in the 4th
  16. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    In the last two years he had--33 TFL, 13.5 Sacks, 6 PBU, 5 kicks/punts blocked, 2 Ints. Some mention questions about his motor. Just think if he had a non stop motor what the above stats would look like. Just saying.
  17. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    anyone get to see AJ Francis at all? may be a good late round udfa type for the 1 tech spot.
  18. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I wrote his name down as someone to watch. I liked him especially in the first half.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    His talent jumps out in game footage; however, work-ethic issues bother me more than other character issues. See MartyB...
  20. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Right but you can't just say, "Imagine if he had a non-stop motor! Let's draft him!" Motor/effort is a huge part of evaluating a player. Many players make their career off of it. Not saying he won't be a good player at the next level, but I'd take a guy with a little less talent but a great motor and great work ethic over a more talented player with poor work ethic any day of the week.