1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Keep hope alive .. Rookie safety Matt Johnson was at practice and working to the side

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jblaze2004, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,964 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    You are right...let's not think highly, ever of anyone
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,798 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    Ryan has brought in Peprah, Frampton, Sims, and Poppinga and had them playing that week.

I know it's fun to bash on the guy because he has been hurt but he has been with the team all year and has had a few weeks of practice. If he can play and possibly help us win over the replacement types we ahve in there then I am all for seeing what he can do.

And with the amount of emotional insurance people take out on a week to week basis, I need to get into underwriting.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

15,798 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    I never heard the Cowboys say that AOA practiced well. Garrett has said it several times this year. I would like to think he doesn't suck and so I will.
  4. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,316 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I like your sig.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I think more than anything in the world I want to see Matt Johnson in a game this week or the playoffs and make a big play that gives the Cowboys a win.

Just so I can see all the back tracking and gear stripping. It would crack me up if he picked off the pass that seals the win. Or makes a hit that jars the ball loose.

It could be a great karma moment.
  6. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,526 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    .....the Jerry Springer effect....one person casts a little bit of doubt on a player, and the next guy has to double down, the next guy double down on that......and so forth.....gives them 5 seconds on the i-net of attention.
  7. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,891 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Don't see how we can possibly judge someone who hasn't had a chance. But okay.
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,759 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I think if think if the Cowboys win Sunday and he's healthy enough to go the following week you play him.

Can't be worse than the Peprah, McCray, Frampton triumverant.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

15,798 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    Thanks man. It just seemed appropriate.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I would expect him to break his hand if he picked off a pass or shatter his entire body with a hit on another player. If his body can stand up to the NFL, he hasn't shown it. At the moment he is another wasted draft pick. It is up to him to prove everybody wrong.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,781 Likes Received
    It'd be washed aside and immediately forgotten without ever really being owned. Like the Jason Witten karma was. Or the Anthony Spencer karma was. Or the Demarcus Ware karma will be.

Everybody? Hardly everybody. There are still some of us around who were able to temper our expectations when a rookie S sustained some injuries and was unable to get his first NFL season on track.
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    God, you really don't realize how much I want to see Matt be able to perform, after all, safeties drafted in this area take a while to produce but it has been shown that you can get a productive safety in that area of the draft.

I have no clue if he can play, and I don't trust the home video taken by his mother. But I do have hope for him, maybe cause I'm just a lil desperate to see some real safety play on this team with the CBs we have in place.

I do have one question, can you really imagine the talented CBs we have playing tight with great safety play behind them........that would be a freakin dream.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,917 Messages
    4,781 Likes Received
    You can tell the coaches are really stoked about this guy. I hope he shows up.

Re: great safety play, we could really use it. Something's got to give if we're going to flip that turnover differential that's absolutely killing us against some of these good teams we play.
  14. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Let me get this straight:

You boys want the guy to dip his toe into his first NFL action in a do-or-die week 16 game? Or in a playoff game?

I'm also eager/curious to see him play. But aside from spot duty...in this context...maybe not so much.
  15. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah the only way we can get that turnover differential to be more in our favor is to make those passing windows smaller. We will have to press, but we can't press if the CBs have no support behind them. We just have to improve our safety play, no other way around it.
  16. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,609 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    I haven't paid that close of attention. Do you remember what the coaches said in general?

In general I think it's idiotic to bash this guy anymore than the others already mentioned like Lee, Carter, Murray. The other guy I'm looking forward to is Danny Coale, that wide receiver we drafted. He had insane numbers in college.
  17. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,757 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    We don't know how his body has held up. His hamstring has been the problem.

I remember Polamalu not doing much of anything his rookie year due to injuries. Guess he was a bust as well. And he was a 1st round pick.

YR
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,757 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    If he's ready and can handle it, then sure. If he's not ready and can't handle it, then no.

I don't know if it's possible to get much worse in coverage than McCray, who also has a knack for hurting his own teammmates. And I don't know if it's possible to be a worse tackler than Peprah. Right now our corners are far better tacklers than our safeties, without exaggeration.

YR
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    He also had a back problem IIRC. Anyway it goes, he still has to prove that he can stay healthy and play. He hasn't done it yet.
  20. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,085 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I though no one could be worse than McCRay until I saw the defense last week.

I truly don't think Johnson could be worse than what we trotted out last week.