1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Keep hope alive .. Rookie safety Matt Johnson was at practice and working to the side

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jblaze2004, Dec 27, 2012.

1. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quite a few people here know NFL front office personnel and players or college staff and players. I was told about Johnson by a person I've known for more than 30 years and works for an AFC team. Almost all the info that's shared here is via PM because there's so many worthless posters here who attack anything out of jealousy.

Maybe if posters typed less and read more, they'd understand things a little better.

As far as draft rankings go, as has been said before, if they had a clue they'd be making the big bucks in an NFL front office rather than scrounging for ad hits.
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received

I don't think anyone feels good about him given his frailty :laugh2: but I'd like to see what he can do anyway before I tell him to get lost.

The guy produced at the college level and the coaches feel good about him. He may not be able to produce at the pro level but would like to see him try.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    spank.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    SBK means if he did not know about him ........ he is a reach.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    i mean, he's read SEVERAL mock drafts and reports.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    I think there is plenty of people who can evaluate talent that don't work in an NFL front office.

It's the guys like Matt Johnson that we don't have resources for.
  7. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    Big time kudos to you. Expect to rise up some people's crap list, but big kudos from me.

By the way, in the form of vouching for credibility, I will vouch for Stanley's. He told me almost a month in advance of the Draft that the Cowboys had a high rating on Sean Lee and advised me to keep his name in mind if he was there in the 2nd round. Immediately after that I put Lee in one of my Mocks.

This guy knows good info.
  8. Trendnet

Trendnet Active Member

733 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    fixed that for you.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    just because you have a position in an NFL front office is not necessarily an indication you know what you are doing

Matt Millen anyone?
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    True if all these GM were great guys like Romo, Austin, Wes Welker and a host of others would never been UDFA while coach killers like Vick go in the 1st rd.
  11. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I agree with you for the most part. There are people who know what they're doing but how many people have access to every game that a DII player plays? You see the websites missing 1-A and DII (or whatever the heck they're called now) kids who don't get invites to any of the post-season bowls or the combine.

Getting a list of the 15 or so players who might go in the top 10 is pretty easy. Figuring out if a guy is going 150 or 250 isn't. There's only so much time to watch film. The guy who doesn't even bother with the first rounders would be the best, but hits are determined by how many first rounders they hit on in the mock.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    This is the way I feel. He has done nothing to gain praise from the posters on this board other than be a 4th round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys. Considering the teams evaluations on players in the past, forgive me for not buying the BS.
  13. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,675 Messages
    1,018 Likes Received
    You're right...

It's homerism to get a player you knew nothing about...read and watch highlights of him, and then get a little hope that you have a player.

You are exactly right, only homers.

It's like going to to a restaurant and seeing something that looks like it might be good, even though you know nothing about it. So you go ahead and try it, hoping that it's good....

But in reality, you are just a homer of that restaurant, because it's your favorite

Just like we are all homers of the Cowboys, and will hope any product the Cowboys produce, is good.

Right on brotha!
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You have no clue about any contacts that I have or how I get information. I don't have to use draft publications or websites. The guy could grow into a decent player, but he hasn't shown a damn thing other than how to keep himself off the field. If he wasn't drafted by the Cowboys, you could see that. A star on his helment doesn't mean he was some great prospect. A couple other teams mentioning him doesn't mean that he was some great find. There was many players that teams talked up and went undrafted. Johnson could have been one.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Right now no one knows. I agree I'm not looking at Johnson as he will be a savior in the secondary on the other hand I don't know that he will not turn out to be a very good player for us. Call me crazy but I would like to see a player perform before I call him out one way or the other.

I do look forward to seeing him next camp and hope he shows people why the Cowboys thought high of him to draft him. I don't see people coming down on him as any better or smarter than someone who claims they are excited, both are jumping the gun.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    Nah i've seen plenty of people peg a guy perfectly that NFL teams missed on.

I've seen fans who know what they're talking about miss too.

Usually the players that people miss on are the non-typical guys that were superstars in college. RG3 and Cam come to mind. Im sure there were plenty NFL Scouts and Fans who thought neither guy would do much in the NFL.

It's hard to evaluate a small school guy until we at the very least get some pre-season footage on them.
  17. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with this 100%.
  18. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,980 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    evaluate talent? or read ESPN, SI and other sites and come to a consensus on a players talent?
  19. StanleySpadowski

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The voices in your head don't count as contacts.

You're acting as though someone is declaring him a HOF player. The best anyone has ever said about him is that he has the measurables and the coaching staff are impressed by what they've seen.

Those bashing him are the ones with the issues. If he wasn't drafted by Dallas, you'd have never heard of him, let alone bash him on the internet when you've never seen him.
  20. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    Some people probably do that. I usually don't even read that stuff until we select the guy.