1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Keep Your Cat Indoors, For Natures Sake

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCount, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Hopeuhavechange

Hopeuhavechange New Member

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a Mocker protecting his clutch. Brave is the work you're looking for there.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,239 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Dead is the word the bird found.
  3. Hopeuhavechange

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sparrows(and Starlings) represent nonnative species introduced by well-meaning humans and this highlights the plague of introducing nonnative populations into an ecosystem.

They displace native species just as feral cats overrun their environments altering natural balance. This is the crux of the issue and nibbling around the edges of of arguments to rip apart proposed solutions fails to confront the larger fundamental issue on the table.

My last comment on the cat issue as it's run its course and I'm weary of it. But by all means tho y'all carry on.
  4. Hopeuhavechange

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I lied: this is the final final note. Hear me now- Our avian friend found glory in heroism thru devotion. We can all learn a lot from him. Notwithstanding tho I could learn him the finer points of a proper ambush.
  5. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

941 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Mockingbirds are very territorial .... their squawk sort of reminds me of the s-word. ;)

This poor burd made the mistake of being too close to the ground. What smarter birds do is fly from behind the cat and dive-bomb from a height and peck the cat's head until they give up.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Or a mother protecting her offspring.
  7. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'll give her one time to attack the killer...the second time...dumb.
  8. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes that would have been a much better tactic....and this cat owner approved...:D
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You obviously don't have the stamina to keep up with a cat.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,562 Messages
    3,845 Likes Received
    I think that is so interesting. I've had cats that ambushed the door and were out and about if you didn't watch them sooo closely. And I've had them that would go to an open door, look out, smell and then turn and run to hide. You have your mousers and those that run from one.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    We have humans like that too.
  12. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,577 Messages
    1,844 Likes Received
    Another cat thread?

These cat threads are as annoying as the nuisance cats.
  13. Hopeuhavechange

145 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Or, more properly framed: maybe we're all chasing our tail at this juncture...
  14. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,072 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Yep, that's how he got a taste for the outside. He hides under the blinds and makes a mad dash when you open the door. I slammed his tail in the door last year and almost cut the damn thing off. Cost me $300.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    You're right. If only all mothers had Casey Anthony's mothering instincts instead, they'd live longer.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    She's doing her young no good at all by dying...cause now they most likely will die...which is what she was trying to avoid by doing what she did.

She was dumb for they way she went about attacking the cat...not for trying to defend her young.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Well first of all, she's a bird, so OBVIOUSLY she's dumb. :laugh2:

That being said, I doubt she's run into many natural predators with the reflexes of a house cat, which is not a natural predator.

Another good example of why they should be kept inside. :D
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've seen plenty of smart birds.

I see them in my back yard giving crap to Dexter all the time.

The dumb ones are the ones who give him crap...then let their guard down and think he's going to forget about it. :p:
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    They're bird brains!
  20. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,738 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    ...about targeting feral cat populations given how much they actually help keep pest populations down in rural and abandoned areas.

Also the reduction of animal populations due to cats is no where near the proportion or tragedy that humans have.

If you want to watch actual horrific scenes of senseless avian death look no further than the disease culling wildlife mgmt has to do because of disease caused by congested numbers of birds in smaller restricted habitat forced by human encroachment.

Cats are a very small part of avian death equation and definitely one of the smaller problems in our society.