1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Ken Norton Sr. Has passed

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by diehard2294, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

4,177 Messages
    2,505 Likes Received
    If Young didn't use tactics such as sticking his head through the ropes to avoid being hit, he may have gotten the decision.
  2. Plankton

4,177 Messages
    2,505 Likes Received
    Once boxing went heavily into PPV, it killed the sport off.

No more fights on Wide World, Sportsworld and CBS Sports Spectacular. The Olympic Boxing events, which had spurred stardom for fighters from 1952 (when Floyd Patterson won the gold as a light heavyweight) through 1984, were now relegated to cable and not even shown live anymore. It became much harder to have fighters "grow up" with their audience.

Two other things hurt the sport a lot. One, was the heavyweight division going to hell. The second was when Mancini killed Duk Koo Kim in the ring. It really caused the networks to pull back from showing fights on Saturday/Sunday afternoon.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

35,146 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    That's a good point about fighters no longer being able to "grow up" with their audience.

Kinda sad what's happened to the sport... especially the HW division.
  4. Plankton

4,177 Messages
    2,505 Likes Received
    It is.

When I was younger, boxing was my second favorite sport after football. I loved watching Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Hagler and Benitez. It was a way for my dad and I to bond - we both loved the fights.

Now, it's a complete clown show.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

35,146 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    I still remember the crowd starting to chant "Ali, Ali, Ali".

Then another group started "Jimmy Young, Jimmy Young".

Good times.