1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

kenny tate safety maryland

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Dec 23, 2010.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,071 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    he seems like everybody favorite Taylor Mays but can actually find the ball better.
    He is 6'4 and 220. He reminds me more of Adrian Wilson of the cardinals.
    Has anybody else seen him play or have any comments on him. I would love to have atleast one of our safeties that will smash a ball carrier on the field.
    And he can be had in the later rounds.

from http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2719
    Kenny Tate, FS, Maryland
    Kenny Tate was one of a few true freshmen to see playing time with Maryland in 2008. Even just playing on special teams and in a reserve safety role, it was quite clear that Tate would soon be a force on the defensive end. And this was just months after coming to the Terrapins as a wide receiver. The conversion to the defensive side of the ball was a smooth one for the 6-4, 220 pound safety and he ended his freshman campaign with 15 tackles and an interception. By his sophomore campaign Tate was a part-time starter before severely spraining his ankle and missing the last two games of the season. With more playing time, Tate tallied an impressive 47 tackles and picked off another pass.
    Tate was expected to step into the starting free safety spot in 2010 and he stayed healthy and productive. Tate ended the regular season ranking second on the team with 94 tackles. He added 8.0 tackles-for-loss and 3.5 sacks. He also picked off three passes, broke up three others and forced four fumbles. Tate is a bigger hitter who can rip the ball away from even the toughest ball carries.

Tate does have a future in the NFL, but the question is whether it will be now or in a year. Tate has certainly seen his stock rise with his stellar junior campaign. At 6-4 and 220 pounds, he has the size and athleticism to play either safety position, or in some schemes even outside linebacker, at the next level. That size and athleticism will not go away, but returning to Maryland for his senior season to prove that he can do it again may not be a bad idea.

Last Updated Dec-13-2010 by Joel Welser
  2. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    later rounds? If he declares he'll go first 2 rounds IMO.
  3. 2233boys

2233boys Benched

2,283 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dallas need Oline help more than a safety.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,579 Messages
    2,188 Likes Received
    and how has mays worked out for the 49rs?
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,071 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    I think he may end up better than Mays plus you can't judge that pick now its only his rookie year....Mays just seemed like a super fast linebacker to me. This kid plays the ball better, Mays more times than not just try to destroy the man..lol. He probably can play FS in the system we have now. But if we moved the SS back closer to the line like the skins do with laundry than this kid may have something special. Lockdown coverage on tight ends....lol
  6. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

this guy is NOTHING like Mays. He consistently makes plays all over the field. 90 total tackles, 5 FF, 3 iNT, 3 PB, 5 TFL. next Sean Taylor.

He's declaring. Smart move. PLEASE JERRY DRAFT THIS KID!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!
  7. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,088 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I might hold off on the Sean Taylor talk CCF, but he is DEFINITELY more fluid and instinctive than Mays seems to be. Probably because he went to MD as a highly recruited WR. Would be a great pick for the 'Boys. By the way, did you know that the light-hitting SS known around here as Gerald Sensabaugh was being projected as a FS by many scouting services? Call me crazy, but he seems to be better at attacking the ball than Alan Ball. I have always thought that Sensy "looks" more like a FS than SS.
  8. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yes you make a great point. Tate would also make a perfect and I mean perfect pick because that would make both our safeties interchangeable. Tates just as effective as a FS and SS. Just like Sensy (although he's more of a FS to be honest, but still)
  9. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,088 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Agreed. I think that Ball has, BY FAR, been the weak link that has had a domino effect on the rest of the secondary. Think of how many times this year Newman or Jenkins has been beaten deep, yet both looking as if the were expecting help over the top. THAT IS THE JOB OF THE FREE SAFETY. PERIOD!!!!!!!!! Hamlin may have sucked, but he would AT LEAST be in the general area of the play. Ball constantly gets fooled so bad that he normally ends up 20+ yards away from the action. Just getting a more physical SS and moving Sensy to FS would be a step in the right direction.
  10. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,919 Messages
    3,986 Likes Received
    Feh.

This guy is too tall... Too heavy.

They can't turn and run like a shorter, lighter safety can.

Their strides are too long.

Look for a guy who's closer to 6' tall and a little lighter.
  11. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

4.46 40 probably makes him the fastest 40 in this years class.

And he's really, really fluid.
  12. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  13. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  14. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    If i had my choice, there's probably no safety in this league i would take over Adrian Wilson..just sayin.
  15. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,620 Messages
    2,745 Likes Received
    Can he turn and run? If not than no thanks.

I don't want another guy we have to put 30 yards downfield who goes into a back pedal when the ball is snapped.
  17. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

This guy is smoother in and out of his breaks than i've ever seen a guy who's 6'4". Plus he's instinctive. You compare this guy to Taylor Mays is like comparing Adrian Wilson to C.C Brown.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,976 Messages
    3,345 Likes Received
    Round 1: Gabe Carimi
    Round 2: Tate

I'd be content.
  19. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

8,242 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    You have never watched Tate play have you? But you love to pull useless generalizations out of your *** nonetheless. :rolleyes:
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,919 Messages
    3,986 Likes Received
    It's not all about top-end speed.

It's more about quickness when it comes to coverage. Taller guys can't change direction as quickly as smaller guys.

I'll wait for the combine and such, before I put much stock in any 40 times at this point.