1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kevin Smith

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WilmingtonHeel, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I agree. I never liked Deion before Jerry signed him and tolerated him after he signed. I could live with his antics if he would tackle instead of playing "huggie bear" as Jimmie put it.
  2. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does Kevin Smith still broadcast the Aggie games in College Station?
  3. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember his surprise retirement because it was in the middle of training camp, wasn't it? I guess you can't say it was a surprise, because we all knew he'd never be the same after that damn injury, but I think all of us as fans hoped that some kind of miracle would occur and he would once again be the same Kevin Smith.
  4. Payton34Smith22

Payton34Smith22 Active Member

1,455 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Great thread! Kevin Smith is one of my all-time fav Cowboys! I was just talking about how when people talk about the 90's Cowboys,they always leave out T.Tolbert & K.Smith. Very underappreciated players IMO.

These two guys were Solid and some of the best players in the NFL!
    I'm glad they were Dallas Cowboys!
  5. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,534 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    Yes sir. And Larry's still sending O'donnell flowers every January.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    I too remember Smith from the A$M days. Damn shame that. When Smith was right, I though he was as good as I'd seen when he broke for the ball. Excellent speed but from the time he picked up the ball and broke on it, to the time he was in position to get an INT was amazing. He could flat out break on the ball as well as anybody I'd seen. The thing that amazed me was that he didn't get more INTs. He actually dropped several opportunities as I recall.
  7. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Yeah. He was definitely a stud before his injury. We had a great CB tandum with him and Deion. Interesting take on his strategy of play after his injury.
  8. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Brown was 24

David
  9. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't watch Kevin Smith prior to his injury. He was much more than an above average at best CB. Above average at best CBs don't shut down Jerry Rice in his prime. Smith did that and for 2 seasons (1993-1994) was among the top 4-5 CBs in the NFL.
  10. YN1SCOTT

YN1SCOTT New Member

59 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NFC CHAPIONSHIP GAME in 93, he got hurt and we put Isac Holt in. Two plays later SAN FRAN goes right at HOLT and it's off to the races, only a holding call was able to stop that touchdown. K Smith comes back in and shuts him down the whole game let alone for two to three years when we played them.
  11. Merlin

Merlin Member

362 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, I did watch him alot. He did play Rice well although I cant really remember him shutting Jerry down for 2 seasons. You said he played like a top level CB for two seasons, that does not make him great. Thats the best argument for my above average rating. I will stand by my above average rating.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,888 Messages
    4,457 Likes Received
    Smith was a very above average CB until injured IMO. Personally I wouldn't put him on Deion's level but he was one of the better CBs in the league IMO. I don't use tackle and Deion in the same sentence very often. Not that he couldn't tackle but tackling was for mere mortals for Deion. Too bad we couldn't fix that injury as well as today or PUP would probably be considered as one of Dallas' better CBs.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't listen to him Kevin!

[IMG]
  14. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,443 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    not looking to insult anyone, but you guys who want to suggest that Kevin Smith was ever even close to as great a CB as Deon Sanders was are just embarrassing yourselves.

Pup was a very good CB and in his best condition was a good #1 CB who could cover anyone, but I'd bet my house that there's not a GM or Coach who ever worked in the NFL who would take Pup over Deon ever, under any conditions.

Love him or hate him, Deon was the best CB to ever play the game and at a time when the WR position and the passing game was exploding in the NFL...no one dared throw the ball near him for fear he'd take it and run it back for a TD in the other direction. IN his prime, it was breaking news for a team to even complete a pass against Deon.

Please...give Pup his due, but it's ridiculous to compare him to Deon.
  15. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Was he called PUP because he was phisically unable to perform? that's a mean nickname
  16. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I certainly don't think Smith was as good as Sanders. But then Sterling Sharpe was a superior receiver, but he wasn't as good as Rice. Like Rice, Sanders was in a class of his own. Smith, for the 2 seasons he was healthy (after his rookie season) was a top-flight CB.
  17. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,213 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Larry Brown was #24 !!:insane:
  18. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I loved Pup. Cocky, brash, hard-nosed, always hustled, always stuck his helmet in there, talked trash and could back it up on the field. He was the epitome of the Cowboys defensive player back then, like Norton, Kenny Gant, Haley and James Washington.

Two things I remember about Pup:

1: The Nike commercial during the 1995 season that used the TV theme song for "Dallas." It called Kevin Smith the Gipper. He was on crutches on the sideline during a game saying, "c'mon guys, c'mon."

2. The game was over, like 28-0 at that point in time. The play was over. A deep bomb that was overthrown. The receivers, other defenders and Kevin Smith were all slowing down. All of a sudden, Kevin just grabs his ankle. This happened after Al Michaels, Dierdorf and Gifford were all gushing over the possibility of fielding Kevin Smith and Deion Sanders. Deion hadn't signed with Dallas yet, but the signing was speculated. So pointless, that injury. Always makes me shake my head.
  19. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    While I don't agree that Smith was equal to Sanders as a corner. I totally agree with your assessment of his play after the injury. The guy would position himself so that the receiver would have to go around him to get to the ball, and the refs would flag him.

I could never understand that.

You called it intuition, and I can't disagree, it was almost like he could read their minds.

He must have done a ton of film study to get that good at cutting the receivers off that way.
  20. Parcells

Parcells New Member

102 Messages
    0 Likes Received

AMEN.... He earned my respect his whole rookie year then threw out his career.. he was always treated like a top 10 cb in the nfl at that time. great player!! however my brother disagrees he thought he was average at that!! :rolleyes:

:skins: :suxskins: