Kevin Tresolini: Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco comparisons are unfair, but unstoppable

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Dec 13, 2010.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,137 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Kevin Tresolini: Pat Devlin-Joe Flacco comparisons are unfair, but unstoppable comparisons are unfair but unstoppable
    And that just isn't fair, considering Devlin is often being evaluated against the finished college product Flacco rather than the senior UD quarterback Flacco of 2007.

These comparisons are made because Flacco, with one forgettable year in between, preceded Devlin as Delaware's quarterback. He was drafted in the first round, 18th overall, in 2008 by the Baltimore Ravens, and he has been their starter, and a very good one, ever since.
    What they fail to mention, however, is that, coming into his senior year, Flacco didn't receive anything close to the fanfare accorded Devlin.
    "I wish I did," Flacco said after a recent Ravens game.

Rather, Flacco was a late arrival on the NFL's radar. He caught their attention with his senior year exploits for Delaware's NCAA runner-up team, throwing for 4,263 yards with 23 touchdowns and just five interceptions, a Senior Bowl appearance, Delaware's Pro Day workout and in individual auditions with teams. His 2 1/2-hour session with Ravens brass on the UD practice field got him where he is today.

"[NFL] people knew me," Flacco said of the time entering his senior year, "but I was a late-round guy or not even a draft pick. I still thought I was the best, but nobody else did."
    Delaware coach K.C. Keeler enjoys telling how Flacco came to him in the winter of 2007 and said he wished to also play baseball, which Flacco had always wanted to do once he established himself in football.