1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Khaseem Greene LB Rutgers

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Texan_Eph89, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,062 Messages
    37 Likes Received
  2. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,176 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    No. OL, DL, and S only in the first 3 rounds if we know what's good for us. Plus, if I wanted to draft a LB early I'd much rather have Ogletree in the 1st.
  3. Texan_Eph89

Texan_Eph89 Well-Known Member

1,062 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I'd say OL in the 1st and safety in the 3rd. Kiffin loves converted S LBs and he could excel here.

It's not like we have all the LBs we need for the tampa 2, I'd say we need one starter anyway.
  4. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,193 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    I love Green as a player in Kiffin's scheme. Still, I wouldn't go any higher than a 3rd for him. We need OL, DL and S too much. We need two of those in the first two rounds.

Green would be a terrific pickup in the 3rd though. He might make it there too because there are so many 34 teams in the NFL now, and Green just doesn't fit in that scheme. He doesn't even fit in some 43 schemes, so although he has first or second round talent, he could very well be there in the 3rd. Would be terrific value for us too, and that is one reason I'm so high on him.

Great player and if you look back and look at some of my earlier posts this offseason, you'll see that I have been pimping him for a while.
  5. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,142 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Id love to have him on my team.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,530 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    If he is BPA I would be all for it. The kid can ball.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    I dont know much about him, but those Rutgers helmets are really sweet :laugh2:
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,193 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received

:laugh2:

From a post I made a week or so ago...

People need to change the way they now think about LB's in the Dallas defense. Shorter, smaller and quicker is what we will be seeing with the OLB's while guys like Ware and Spencer are now thought of as DE's.

In that line of thinking there is an absolutely terrific LB that played for Schiano at Rutgers named Khaseem Green. He started as a safety and Schiano moved him to LB, where he made an impact every single game.

He isn't big, but as a WLB in Kiffin's system, he wouldn't have to wade through much trash and would be simply asked to run to the ball and cover like Schiano asked him to do.

He could be had later in the draft (maybe round 3 if another Tampa-2 defense doesn't get him first), and could be an instant starter at WLB, with Lee at MLB and Carter at SLB.

Even if he didn't start right away, he is the type to be dominant on special teams, and the kind of guy we need on the team.

Here is some info on him:

Khaseem Green 6-1, 234 LBS.:

12/28/2012 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: LB Khaseem Greene had as dominating a two-year run as the Big East has seen in recent memory, leading the league in tackles with 10.45 per game. He's got 5.5 sacks, picked off two passes, and returned a fumble for a touchdown. In seven of the 12 games, he's had 10 or more tackles. And as a redshirt senior, he's one of the key leaders on the squad.

OVERVIEW

Greene is a perfect example of one reason why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are excited about head coach Greg Schiano after his first season with the team. Greene signed with Rutgers as a relatively low priority safety prospect but as he grew, Schiano and his staff elected to move him to weak-side linebacker, where he emerged as arguably the most impactful defender in the Big East in 2011.

This wasn't the case of a talented player riding the bench. Greene demonstrated his playmaking ways early on, tying for the team lead in interceptions as a redshirt freshman (despite only starting one game) and then leading the team with three interceptions as a full-time starting free safety in 2010 (also posting 77 tackles and four forced fumbles).

While productive as a defensive back, few anticipated Greene's explosion in 2011 as the Big East's leading tackler (141), earning him the conference's co-Defensive MVP honors. Greene would have been even more productive had he not suffered a gruesome broken right ankle in the Pinstripe Bowl victory over Iowa State. He recovered from the injury and proved as a senior no worse for wear, leading the Big East yet again with 125 tackles, including 10.5 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks and an eye-popping six forced fumbles.

Greene's size (or rather, lack thereof) limits his potential in the NFL. He isn't athletic enough to move back to safety and his struggles taking on and shedding blockers means he'll likely only fit as a chase (weak-side) linebacker in the 4-3 alignment. In this role, however, he has the speed and playmaking skills to flourish.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS: Rare athleticism for the position. Possesses the agility and straight-line speed to elude blockers and beat backs to the edge. Showed improved patience and awareness in his second season at linebacker, rarely taking false steps and exploding towards the ball.

Reliable open-field tackler, generally wrapping both arms around the ballcarrier. Best trait might be his incredible ability to create turnovers. Rips violently at the ball as he makes tackles, showing excellent hand-eye coordination and impressive strength.

Times his blitz well, showing a quick burst to close. Fluid in coverage due to his experience at safety and possesses good ball skills. Shows some natural open-field running skills once the ball is in his hands, as well.

Good bloodlines. Is the half-brother of Pittsburgh running back Ray Graham, also expected to be drafted in 2013. Competitive. Served as a member of the punt and kickoff defense squads in 2012.

WEAKNESSES: Obvious size limitations. Isn't just short; possesses a rocked-up frame that isn't likely to be able to handle much additional weight.

Can get lost in the traffic in tight quarters, losing sight of the ball. A bit inconsistent in his overall physicality. Prefers to slip by blockers, rather than physically taking them on. Sometimes spends too much time going for the strip, rather than simply driving the ballcarrier to the turf.
    Teams will want to check Greene's medical grade due to the broken ankle suffered in 2011.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...khaseem-greene

*Not sure how to imbed Vid. so here are some links:

Note: Not a lot of great highlight vids for the guy, but you can get the idea from these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2n2iXjoUms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EJoH_WfHc

<a href="http://media.nj.com/rutgers_football/photo/rutgersjpg-fbb07f2d89b66e20.jpg" target="_blank"><a href="http://media.nj.com/rutgers_football/photo/rutgersjpg-fbb07f2d89b66e20.jpg" target="_blank">[IMG]

<a href="http://cbssports.com/images/visual/rapidreports/Khaseem_Greene_09122012.jpg" target="_blank"><a href="http://cbssports.com/images/visual/rapidreports/Khaseem_Greene_09122012.jpg" target="_blank">[IMG]
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    You really don't need to spend a top pick on a Sam in the 3-4. You just need a guy that can move and is strong enough to shed.

If you look around the league at the guys that play that position, most of them are relatively anonymous guys that weren't drafted high.

It's the same reason I wouldn't draft T'eo if he was there. Not because I don't think he's a good player despite getting outclassed by Alabama, but because it'd be a waste to spend a 1st on a Sam. You want to spend your resources on MLB and Will, and we have both already.

No excuses, the focus should be on the trenches.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,567 Messages
    9,707 Likes Received
    I think as long as he shines in workouts like I think he will, he will be off the board early in the 2nd round.

As soon as we made the scheme switch I fell in love with the player.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,193 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received
    Me too. He's a perfect fit for this defense.

Alas, you're probably correct, he'll be gone way before we pick in the third. Just a terrific, instinctive football player... and we need more of those.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,193 Messages
    2,791 Likes Received

He would have to play WLB and Carter would play strong, but it probably won't happen, and you're right... we do need bodies in the trenches.
  13. Displaced Cowboy

Displaced Cowboy Active Member

1,233 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Don't want to spend a high pick on Greene.

Give me Hodges in round 4.