1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiffin brought the 4-3 under, dungy brought the cover-2

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by hra8700, Jan 10, 2013.

1. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    "Tony Dungy had been a converted quarterback turned defensive back playing for the Steel Curtain under Bud Carson. He watched Carson use his athletic linebackers and physical defensive backs in zone coverage behind a devastating four-man rush in the 1970s. He was struck by Carson’s idea to drop his middle linebacker into the deep middle to assist his safeties in coverage while allowing his quick and instinctive outside linebacker to assume more underneath responsibility.

Monte Kiffin had successfully adapted the 4-3 Under defense while a defensive coordinator at Nebraska and Arkansas to aggressively stop the run and generate a strong pass rush with a read-on-the-run philosophy. Collaborating with Floyd Peters, another believer in the 4-3 Under, with the Minnesota Vikings in the late 1980s, Kiffin helped make stars out of DT Keith Millard and DE Chris Doleman.

In 1992, Dungy and Kiffin found themselves on the same defensive staff in Minnesota under Dennis Green. You can imagine the discussions in the Vikings’ coaching offices. Dungy had seen firsthand how dropping the middle linebacker into the deep middle addressed many of the coverage weaknesses in the Cover-2. He also well knew what kind of defensive linemen it took to make the system successful and knew that the Stunt 4-3 that drove much of the success of the Steel Curtain was hard to run without four elite linemen. Running the 4-3 Under had generated nearly 40 sacks in one season for Kiffin’s duo of Millard and Doleman. Pairing the 4-3 Under (and Over) with the Carson Cover-2 tweaks seemed a perfect match.

The marriage of those two concepts in Minnesota became the foundation of the Tampa-2."

Nice history of the Tampa-2. Don't forget Rob Ryan has been running the 4-3 under in our nickel packages very frequently for 2 years now. Read the rest here:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...-f-l-defenses-part-3-the-4-3-front-continued/
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I'm glad to see the 4-3 coming back honestly...
  3. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    Lee should fit in nicely in this scheme.
  4. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

2,040 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    and then we have this in 2012:

only two teams -- the Bears and Vikings -- consider the cover 2 to be their base defense. Most teams are switching to more combination man coverages, in part to combat the two-tight-end sets growing in popularity (see sidebar). But an even bigger reason for the demise of the cover 2 is the rapid rise of defensive penalties called for big hits.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...nly-teams-using-cover-2-defense-espn-magazine
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,510 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    Good thing for us we don't have any big hitters

Heck, we'd be lucky if our guys even made contact
  6. dupree89

2,040 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received

:laugh2: :laugh2:
  7. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I don't think we will be running the Tampa-2, that's the point of the article. Kiffins specialty is the 4-3 under, which is already something we run a lot and for which we have the personnel. I think well be seeing a decent amount of man coverage.
  8. dupree89

2,040 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Okay thanks.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I doubt we will run the same defense he ran in Tampa... We have press man to man cover corners who do not like to be off the line.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    The Nickel and 4-3 Under are two different defensive fronts.

Edit: Actually a "Nickel" is a personnel package, but my point stands. We haven't ran a "4-3 nickel" often, if at all.
  11. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    We'd play Barry church Essentially as a linebacker in passing situations. We've even played scAndrick as solb.
  12. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,017 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    Straight C2 has a lot of weaknesses without perfectly tailored players. Athletic TEs give it problems. It is dead as a base D.
  13. kelc

kelc Member

122 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Im glad to see the 4-3 back.How about we bring back the Flex,LOL.
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,605 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    I hope we run the 4-3 like Seattle or Denver has. Our players fit that scheme alot closer.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    4-3 nickel is exactly what we need... 12 players on defense.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Yes. That's a Nickel or Dime. Not a 4-3.
  17. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,387 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    I think that's exactly what Kiffin is going to attempt to accomplish. Both Carroll and Bradley were assistants under Kiffin, modifying his scheme to what Seattle is using now. Given our personnel, I'd be surprised if we didn't use a similar approach.
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Probably still wouldn't be enough. :D
  19. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,620 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    We've ran that a few times this past season.

I think they even tried the 4-3 dime.
  20. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,919 Messages
    1,592 Likes Received
    :laugh2: