1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiffin Front-7 Players

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by xwalker, Jan 13, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,965 Messages
    5,344 Likes Received
    I did some research on front-7 players for Kiffin's defense.

In 2012 Chicago and Seattle had Defensive Coordinators that were previous Kiffin assistants.

Kiffin's last year in Tampa Bay was 2008.

WDE - Similar to a 3-4 OLB. (Ware's new position)
    SDE - Similar to a 3-4 DE. (Red Bryant in Seattle, 6-4, 323)

WDT - A gap-penetrating inside player (made famous by Warren Sapp).
    SDT - A 1-tech. Takes on double-teams but is a 1-gap player.

While the "Weak" side linemen tend to be smaller than on the Strong-Side, that's not necessarily true with the LBs.

[IMG]
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,118 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    nevermind, for some reason i thought Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin played LB for Seattle
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,003 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    Well-on the positive side, Cowboys personnel doesn't look all that different than the Bears "d"
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Kiffin's defense isn't going to be used exactly as is by his former assts.

In Seattle they have a lot more size. Good, young defense there but also definitely a big defense at virtually every position except WDE.

Chicago seems far more true to what Kiffin wants to do but to be sure in both cities the Head Coaches were long-time defensive guys. They had their own thoughts around the 4-3 and the defenses they wanted to play.

The biggest issue we have is lack of anyone proven as a 3 technique. We can guess and gamble or we can draft a guy at 18 but it'll be a "process".
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Except for lacking Melton, Spears, Urlacher and the safeties you mean.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,909 Messages
    9,003 Likes Received
    I wonder if Kiffin will see Wilber as a LB or a DE. We figure to lose Spencer and Butler. The DE depth chart is thin. A beefed up Wilber may be an option there.
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,499 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    The Dallas linebackers, even with Albright or Wilbur at the SAM, have the potential to be light years better than the Bear's linebackers from the last two seasons. If this team gets a safety with good range and another DT then they could actually be closer to hitting the ground running than people think.
  8. Oh_Canada

6,003 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    Lee is better than Urlacher at this point.

I am not sure if Melton is that much better than Ratliff if healthy. However, I do think they need to address the strong position (one-tech) in the draft or FA, but Paea isn't exactly a dominant player.

What's so great about Chicago's safeties?

On the other hand Ware is a better than Peppers.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Wilber is a complete wild card. We do need to hit on him though at least as depth. If he is an End he has to back up Ware because he is way too small to play strong side.

Don't see how we bring Spencer back to play End at the likely cost but Butler shouldn't be expensive at all. He has done next to nothing to prove he is a legit 3-4 OLB.

But if he does come back he is the likely back up to Ware....

The only real SDE options I see are Crawford or Hatcher. Until we see these guys plays some new techniques it is all guessing.
  10. Oh_Canada

6,003 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    LB I think. He actually is better suited to be a SLB in this scheme than SOLB in the 3-4.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Lee is a very good player when he plays. Urlacher is a Hall of Fame LB. He makes all the calls and gets to the deep middle while being big enough to take on OL in the hole. When he is out Chicago really feels it.

Sean Lee can certainly be a fine 4-3 LB provided he is actually on the field. Tho he is not now nor ever will be as fast as Urlacher was coming out of college. Urlacher ran a 4.54 40 while Lee ran a 4.71.

Melton is a local kid. Former running back. Tremendous raw athlete that finally found a position. He is young and a better true 3 than Ratliff. Ratliff swears he is a 1 and only a 1... just ask him.

The Chicago safeties have always been playmakers. A very different type player than what we've used. Our safeties have been asked to man cover and keep from getting beat. Chicago safeties plays 20 yards off the ball and break up on plays in front of them.
  12. Oh_Canada

6,003 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    We disagree on Lee/Urlacher. 2000 Brian Urlacher ran a 4.59/40....which is .01 quicker than Lee's fastest 40. However Lee bested him in the 10td/20yd and verticals...and I can't imagine 2013 Urlacher running anywhere close to a 4.59 anyway. 2013 Lee is every bit the player Urlacher is and probably more.

The scheme might have something to do with the Bears safeties being playmakers. I have a hard time believing Major Wright and Chris Conte are that much better talent wise than a combo of Church, Sensy and Johnson.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,909 Messages
    9,003 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Backup to Ware.

It is really hard to talk FA and the draft when there's so much unknown about what our depth chart really looks like on defense. Who fits where and all that.
  14. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    In the end I think its safe to say that we need to walk away with at the very least a SDE. It might not be a bad idea for us to look at a Sam LB as well. There are some guys later in this draft that could be good fits for us. Might want to keep our eye on Gholston. Was not an overly productive player, but has all the physical tools and can be had in the late to mid rounds IMO.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received

Gholston is interesting. He has plenty of athletic ability but he just never did much at Michigan St. Reminds me a little of another guy named Gholston from the Big 10.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    It's not a disagreement on Urlacher/Lee is an issue of fact.

They both ran combines. Urlacher was 4.54 and Lee was 4.71 in their fastest attempts AT THE COMBINE.

Urlacher has run sub 4.6 many times. Lee never has been clocked as such in any combine or pro day workouts.

I do like Sean Lee quite a lot but he didn't magically get faster.

Urlacher is a once a generation freak that played Safety in college.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    That was when he was a lot smaller though. They probably run similiar times in both their primes.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,965 Messages
    5,344 Likes Received
    Sean Lee
    Pro Day
    Dates: 03/17/10
    Height: 6021
    Weight: 236
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.60
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.63
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.54