1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiffin would ensure another rebuild in 2 or 3 years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by T-RO, Jan 11, 2013.

1. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    I think it was obvious that Garrett had the players attention this year. They played hard. I think getting rid of Ryan can send a message, "his body of work wasn't good enough so he was let go....same will happen to players. We expect a quality product here in Dallas."

Ryan was not a good DC, with or without injuries.
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,268 Messages
    468 Likes Received
    Yes rob Ryan was the sum and substance of the Dallas cowboys...:bang2:
  3. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,164 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    First I have no problem with getting rid of Ryan. A 3 - 4 coach who doesn't blitz isn't any good. That being said, it is kind of hard for Garrett to say Ryan's body of work wasn't good enough when his own body of work has been pathetic.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,844 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys offensive rank = #6
    Dallas Cowboys defensive rank = #19
  5. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,428 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    Had the players attention? Constant false starts, blown routes, blown blocking asignments, flat showings. Jeez people.:rolleyes:
  6. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,164 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Please don't tell me you think Jason did a good job as OC?
  7. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    IR, I'm interested to hear your take on the personnel we currently have to run a 4-3 and what we would be looking to upgrade through FA and draft. Thanks.
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,908 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    You know what is becoming tiring? Posts like this. I wish people would stop making every other post a "you have an agenda post" because they don't like differing ideas out there. As a franchise there are some pretty big trends the last 16 years and some of them involve moves like this.

Posts that attack the messenger without knowing anything about them. You think you have all the answers and after 16 years are still content so if anyone has any different opinions you go into attack mode. Please stop. Its not a real opinion, is patently FALSE and is embarrassing. It's a message board with varying degrees of opinions so stop acting like you know everyone's thought process.

I've stuck up for Jerry many times on this board. I love him as an owner and think he has some nice recent drafts. I don't like many of his other GM type moves though. So I'm split. So there is no agenda as to Jerry here. I also am a Romo fan. So it isn't a constant negative with me. I'm looking at these situations constructively and comprehensively.

You say they had their man yet Jerry hadn't even decided to fire Ryan until they all talked this week. As of right now Kiffen isn't hired. There was reports of other candidates right after the firing and Kiffen wasn't one of them. Just like the whole idea of bringing in an OC. IMHO this is Jerry at his worst, not the things I respect about him as mentioned above. This is reactionary and to make a splash rather than thinking through the issue. A perfect example includes the games he mentioned regarding his reasoning. Games where Romo turned the ball over and put the D in a hole. He doesn't even mention the 6-8 games where the offense failed completely to start games and the D had to cover until we got into 4th quarter comeback mode. To me if you are going to hold people accountable, do it evenly, across the board.

Again, my opinion on this one issue. This looks reactionary to me.

Also, I live in Chciago and have Bears fans talking to me daily about Lovie's D and how its run. If they are running any hybrid of it than you need competent safety play...which we don't have...and have different corners than we just spent money on. I'm not sure our personnel fits. Legit questions.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,844 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    I think he is good OC but a poor play caller. The only thing that is "wrong" with our offense is the play calling and the scheme does not take advantage of our QB's strengths.
  10. DBOY3141

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    I expect there will be changes on offense as well, the defense overall was going no where under Ryan.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,160 Likes Received
    It's funny how nobody wanted to replace Ryan right after the season ended.

I can't recall a single one.
  12. Falcon554

Falcon554 Well-Known Member

1,128 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    your right, Ryan did the best he could with the crap he had out on the field. This is Jerry being Jerry
  13. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    We haven't had a DC leave to be a HC since Wannstedt.

I would take this as a good sign if it happened. Meant we had a good defense in 2013.
  14. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

591 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    This whole coaching staff is held by the worlds greatest product in duct tape. Get ready for the whole process to start again next season, when we miss the playoffs once again. Jerry will finally see the light and fire the man he should have fired this year.:rolleyes:
  15. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Know the truth I do not care if we replaced him or kept him. His first two years have been Ok. He got let go and so be it happens all the time in the NFL where the coordinators and assistants get moved around from team to team and the HC gets more lead way.

I actually do not think the 4-3 is inferior people are winning with the scheme and have won SB. From that perspective I do not think it matters what we run people have won and lost games through out the NFL History with both defenses.

I like going back to the 4-3 because it just seems right from a nostalgic point of view. Kind of like Pittsburgh the 3-4 just fits because they have ran it for ever.

That is my view. I just hope if they do bring in Kiffin he brings in someone that is younger to take over if they have success since he is older coach.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,614 Messages
    2,005 Likes Received
    Except the small fact that Kiffin has always been a much better DC than Ryan was.
    In other words, they are nothing alike.

I thought Ryan had the guys playing their tails off for him. So effort was not the issue and deserves a bunch of credit for that given the circumstance. But his whole career has seen his defenses in the lower 1/3 of the league.

If Kiffin comes here, then after he retires a few years later, someone like Raheem Morris may step in.
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,517 Messages
    5,245 Likes Received
    I had a standing replacement order on Rob Ryan, and I'm thrilled that he's gone. But I certainly didn't think it was given after the hand he was dealt this season.

That said, I'm all for upgrading any coach on the roster if there's an upgrade available. I said the same thing re: Jason Garrett, who I love, when Payton was possibly going to become available. It goes for every position on the team and on the staff.

All that said, I'm not sold that Monte Kiffin represents an upgrade; I think it's a weird move, especially with other good options still on the table.
  18. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,584 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Will probably get one of his assistants too take over, unless Garrett gets run out next year if they don't do anything
  19. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    It's actually kind of nice thinking about Kiffin coaching here for the exact opposite reason - stability. Yeah he's old but he's not an up and comer who's going to be looking for a promotion as soon as he can find it. He's a coordinator, if he does a good job he'll probably stay here until he dies.
  20. DBOY3141

3,176 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    What other options? I give you Lovie, but I keep hearing Ray Horton. He is currently employed and we can't talk to him.

Capers - employed
    Wannstatdt - please

these are the some of the names folks throw around. Who could we actually hire today if we wanted to that would be better or at least as good as Kiffen?