1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kindle vs Nook?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by SwingPass9, May 4, 2012.

1. SwingPass9

SwingPass9 New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have an iPad but it's so hard to read things on there for so long. My eyes get tired so that's why I want an e-ink reader. Plus, there's less distraction on the e-readers (I always surf after readng a page on my iPad).

I can't seem to make a decision because I want to know which brand is going to come out on top over the long haul. If I understand correctly, if you buy Barnes and Nobles books, you can't read them on Kindles and vice versa. It looked like Amazon was going to win but Microsoft came in and invested billions in B&N.

Which e-reader is better and has more selection?

I'm leaning toward Amazon just because they don't have overhead costs like B & N does, but then again, B & N did get billions.

Thoughts and comments from people who own either?
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I own a Kindle III and love it. I don't think I've ever heard someone complain about a Kindle. That said, I've never used a Nook so I can't really comment on them.

If you go with a Kindle, you won't go wrong. The good thing is, you can drop by a BN and check out a Nook before you buy one.
  3. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    haha, I was just looking at this very thing this morning.

I think I have decided to go with the new Nook with the backlight that comes out on Monday. You can read it outside or in bed at night.

The only real drawback of the Nooks that I see is no 3G but I'd rather do without that than put up with the ads that the Kindles have.
  4. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    The reason he is looking at a Nook or Kindle is because reading a lot on a backlit display strains the eyes. That's why I went Kindle too. Though even Kindles (Fire) have the backlit display now too.

Mine has the leather case with built in light that uses the Kindle battery. I can read it anywhere too.

[IMG]
  5. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    The new one is a backlit eInk not an LCD like the Color and Fire so I'm hoping it's not too bad on the eyes. I looked at lights too which you can always use and turn off the backlight if you need.
  6. Sam I Am

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Ahh. I need to go take a look at that. :)

Interesting. Consumer Reports likes it.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,104 Messages
    1,341 Likes Received
    Which iPad? I love reading on the iPad 3. The crispness is still shocking sometimes.
  8. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You can buy the Kindle "ad-free". It costs a little more, but not much. I just got my mom going on an ad-free Kindle Touch last week. she liked Kindle over the Nook because on the Kindle you can highlight any word in a book to get the definition of it. On the Nook, you have to close the book you are reading and open a dictionary. That is the feature that made a difference to her.
    I showed her the Nook with backlight, but that didn't appeal to her as a 'must have' feature. She is fine with having a light on in the room to read by.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I've got limited use with a Nook, but I'm a huge Kindle fan. I actually prefer it to the ipad.
  10. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thats really what it boils down to. I buy an ereader to read on. I don't buy it as a tablet that I can read on.

The Kindles are excellent for just that purpose. I love reading on mine.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    At the end of the day, when you're tired and your eyelids are heavy, the eInk display and ability to increase font size are very nice.
  12. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

3,121 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    I have a Nook Color and I have no complaints and I haven’t regretted my decision to get one at all. I travel frequently and I read e-books and e-magazines (Sports Illustrated is great on the Nook Color) on aircraft and in hotel rooms all the time. I don’t get why people say you get eye strain on it compared to e-ink. I think if you look at print of any kind for hours at a time you’re going to get eye strain. I get that from printed books if I read them more than a few hours.

I don’t read the Nook at the beach or any other extreme brightly lit areas so I can’t comment on how the glare affects it, but I can comment on reading it in the dark. I do that frequently. I can turn the brightness down significantly but I can still read it in total darkness. I can also highlight a word and get definitions of it too if I need, plus it is a mini-tablet so you do have some extra functionality if you want it.

I don’t own a Kindle and I’ve never used one, but I’ve talked to others who have it and they love theirs as well. I don’t think you could make a wrong decision on either reader.

Truthfully, I got the Nook because I decided to get one on a whim ( I was traveling the next day) and I could get the Nook now and not have to wait on it to get delivered, and at that time Nook Color had more features than the Kindle did then.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I have a Kindle and I love it as does the rest of my family.

I've heard good things about the Nook though.

I think you should be able to check both out at B&N (Nook) and Wal-Mart (Kindle). Target stopped carrying Kindle.

I read a lot before I got my Kindle. I read more now. So convenient and I really love the e-ink.
  14. SwingPass9

SwingPass9 New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The iPad 1 :) I saw the iPad 3 at the mall and was blown away at how clear it was, but that alone wasn't enough to pay for it though...
  15. SwingPass9

SwingPass9 New Member

13 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like Kindle is winning by a landslide!

I didn't know you could check out the Kindle at Wal-mart. Will go to B & N and check the Nook out too. I'm one of those freaks that have to overanlayze everything for a long time before pulling the trigger :(
  16. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think you can look at both, side by side, in BestBuy.
  17. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's pretty much it
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Are you asking or telling?

Title says you're asking, post says you're telling?

Or I guess you could be asking and then following up by saying that's all your asking.........
  19. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol...choice c
  20. thewireman

thewireman Member

841 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I have the Kindle Fire and my wife and I love it. We were looking at the ipad 3 but couldn't justify the extra 300 deference.