1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

King of Pork?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,095 Messages
    1,628 Likes Received
    Who is the biggest earmarker of them all? According to Taxpayers for Common Sense, Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., takes the cake, with 60 earmarks worth $123 million in the latest spending bill before the Senate.

But he's hardly alone. The budget watchdog group has released its latest list breaking down the earmarks, lawmaker-by-lawmaker, in the $410 billion bill set to come up for a vote by the end of the day. The bill would fund the government through the end of the fiscal year, with an 8.5 percent increase over last year and billions of dollars in pet projects.

Here's a breakdown of the top 20 earmarking senators and the value of their solo earmarks:

1) Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va. -- $122,804,900

2) Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala. -- $114,484,250

3) Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo. -- $85,691,491

4) Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. -- $76,899,425

5) Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss. -- $75,908,475

6) Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska -- $74,000,750

7) Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa -- $66,860,000

8) Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla. -- $53,133,500

9) Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. -- $51,186,000

10) Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii -- $46,380,205

11) Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. -- $39,228,250

12) Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D. -- $36,547,100

13) Sen. Pat Leahy, D-Vt. -- $36,161,125

14) Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill. -- $35,577,250

15) Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa. -- $27,169,750

16) Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev. -- $26,628,613

17) Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa. -- $25,320,000

18) Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis. -- $23,832,000

19) Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. -- $21,952,250

20) Former Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M. -- $19,588,625
  2. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,963 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Looks like our senators here in Texas suck.
  3. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,628 Likes Received
    I hope our senators keep sucking because this pork needs to come to an end. If these projects can't stand on their own for passage then chances are it was not needed that badly. In the meantime if a state wants to build a library or civi center then do it with local funds
  4. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    The RINO virus is quickly turning into a pandemic.
  5. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    http://yidwithlid.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-john-murtha-has-been-taking-your.html

Over the course of the past decade, Rep. John P. Murtha has earmarked millions of dollars for the Electro-Optics Center at Penn State University — money that has, in turn, gone to clients of the PMA Group, the Murtha-linked lobbying shop that was raided in November as part of a federal criminal probe

But sources familiar with the EOC’s operations say Murtha has used the center as a “front” for PMA and other lobbyists and contractors with ties to the Pennsylvania Democrat.

At least 10 PMA lobbying clients have received funding via the EOC, officials at the center acknowledged. Sources familiar with the EOC’s operations said the total that went to PMA clients ran into the “tens of millions of dollars.”

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Murtha has received $2.38 million in campaign contributions from PMA and its clients over the past 10 years.

......I'd say this kind of stuff is alot more rampant thru out all the politicians, there is reason for earmarks, politicians dont do anything without a reason, and its hard to beleive "goodwill" is a common reason........

Its like all the politicians are in a mad rush to get their share...like its nearing the last chance to be able to...:eek:
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Murtha is a real piece of garbage. He is right down there with Byrd as being the worst of the worst.
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Don't forget the murderer Teddy Kennedy. Democrats love to support these types of nut jobs. It really is pathetic.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    :laugh1:

Let's see

3 of the top five are Republicans.
    6 of the top 10 are Republicans.

So of the top ten that amounts to $767,348,996

The Republicans account for 6 of those with a total of $454,404,466 which is 59.4% of the top ten earmarks in money spent.

I guess that fiscal conservative thing still is not working.
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    The RINOS are a problem, no doubt. I have wanted them gone from the party for a long time. I miss the days when Reagan would veto budgets that had a dozen earmarks out of principle.

The Rinos/liberals are spending less than half a billion. The real issue is what the heck are they spending the other $409.5 billion on?

Missouri just got it's first "stimulus" check for 223 million. The problem is, it was mandated that all of it must be used to fund medicaid. I'm not sure how that will stimulate the economy. The newest pork bill is much the same.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    I am curious what each earmark has in it's spending as well.

I also have to wonder though if we take away the left/right politics out of the equation and actually try to be neutral.....

If you elect someone into office for your state. And the people of the state ask their rep to try and get funding for this project or that project...is it not that reps job to put fourth those wishes? Again take away the left or right of it...Is it not the reps job to put fourth what the people might want or ask for.

Does not mean the rep has to vote for it after it is in, but he, or she, is the states and in turn the people of the states...rep after all.

I heard an interview with Ron Paul one time where someone asked him about some funding he requested (not sure if it was an earmark or not) and he essentially said the people of the state elected him so if they have some issues they want brought forward he would do that...even if he did not agree with the issue and would eventually vote against it...at the very least he would bring the issue forward.

Just something interesting to think about.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,250 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received

This is all fine and I don't dispute any of this. Just as long as we make the distinction that this is Republican, it is not Conservative Senators. These guys are not what the GOP is about. These guys are Democrates running in the Republican Party.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

34,250 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    So long as it is not to the detriment of the Nation itself. In 1865, the rights of the States became linked to the good of the Nation. Now, I am not saying that the States are subserviant to the Government but, I am saying that you have to be responsible for the Good of the Nation.

Heck, California is always in the Red and they always squeeze the Feds and the rest of the Nation to help support there rediculous life styles. I think that's wrong and I think their should be legislature to stop it but, so long as it is allowed, states like California are going to take advantage of it. That being said, these states, IMO, are wrong for doing this. They are creating a harsh burden for our children to endure and that's not right. You want to prosecute somebody? You want to investigate somebody? Do it to all those who are going along with this fiasco.

This is WRONG.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    Yes they are Republicans no matter how you decide to label them.

Last I heard there are not two major parties called the Democrats and the Conservatives. And like so many in here like to say...they vote for Republican because it is better than Democrats...hence voting for McCain this past election.

This also seems to harken back to a little debate we had about how you just could not believe that almost half (actually I think it was less than half at 40%) of the earmarks came from Republicans....but this top twenty list would seem to indicate that that percentage seems to be about spot on.

Of the top 20, 8 of them are from republicans which would average out to 40%.

(stands and pats self on back :D )

You also say that these are not what the Republican party is about but apparently they are because they are the ones who got voted in under the Republican Ticket.

I mean some of us voted for Ron Paul, who happened to be the most conservative of the candiates for the republican party primary for president and we were laughed at and scoffed at while those complaining about McCain winded up voting for him because...he was the republican candidate.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

59,822 Messages
    2,923 Likes Received
    Wrong or not...the people voted them in and I am sure they ask for many of these things and the people voted in are the Reps for those states.

So where do you draw the line?

Do you vote in someone for your state that does the opposite of what you ask?

Do you just do away with states reps all together?

How do you go about it.

I guess you can just vote them out the next election and it would seem many republicans did get voted out in the past two elections. So I guess the people got what they wanted in some ways.
  15. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,561 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Huh? By what possible standard are guys like Inhofe and McConnell RINOs?

You mean the days from your little fantasy world? Can you find a single reference to Reagan vetoing a spending bill because of earmarks? Reagan did try to take on earmarks in 1987 through a different avenue, but in the end he backed down and let them through.

Seriously, JBond, do you ever make a post that doesn't contain serious errors of fact?
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,250 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    That's right. America voted em in and now, we have live with the results.

I don't think anybody is going to let that fact be forgotten.
  17. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,628 Likes Received
    I don't excuse any of them republican or democrat. I do know McCain has been more than talk when it comes to not taking pork projects even organization such as Taxpayers for Common Sense have claimed McCain does not do it.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,250 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    First of all, in that discussion, I made it very clear that being Republican is not being Conservative. I also made it very clear that those who support this very foolish way of governing will eventually pay for their errors.

What is funny hear is that it's clear that certain Republicans were bought off. They don't represent the Conservatives. They are RINO's and, with the exception of Domincie, who's hasn't voted on anything since 12/11/08, are being bought and paid for. This is not the same as what the Democrats are doing and have done. This is one bill. Take a look at all of these bills and find out where the money is going or has gone.

Doesn't it strike anybody odd that this is the only Bill that the Press has picked up on and is reporting, state by state as to where the money has gone?
  19. Doomsday101

75,095 Messages
    1,628 Likes Received
    I agree and I think that played a part in the republican party losing power many of them were no better than the free spending Democrats. Republicans need to get back to the true conservative principals
  20. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Because you are incapable of finding it yourself, I have provided a link to all presidential vetoes. I expect my apology shortly. Happy reading.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/presvetoes17891988.pdf