1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper Big Board 1/25/12....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Click the link for blurbs on each player.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...428/2012-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-latest-big-board

1.. Andrew Luck QB Stanford
    2.. Matt Kalil T USC
    3.. Trent Richardson RB Alabama
    4.. Morris Claiborne CB LSU
    5.. Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma St.

6.. Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
    7.. Quinton Coples DE North Carolina
    8.. Riley Reiff T Iowa
    9.. Jonathan Martin T Stanford
    10. Luke Kuechly ILB Boston College

11. Devon Still DT Penn St.
    12. David DeCastro G Stanford
    13. Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi St.
    14. Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina
    15. Michael Brockers DT LSU

16. Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
    17. Cordy Glenn T/G Georgia
    18. Mark Barron S Alabama
    19. Dontari Poe DT Memphis
    20. Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame

21. Jerel Worthy DT Michigan St.
    22. Lamar Miller RB Miami
    23. Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama
    24. Kendall Wright WR Baylor
    25. Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona St.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Interesting how far down Kirkpatrick is and how far up Cordy Glenn is.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Ingram, Upshaw, and DeCastro are the only players I like at 14 right now.
  4. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,670 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I'd have to add brockers in the too. i believe he is going to be something special.
  5. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    really appreciate all the great info. you post.....question: what do you guys think of drafting Still or Worthy at 14? I really think we need an anchor for the middle of that line. SIgn a guard,center and backup QB in free agency and in rounds 2-7 address CB, Dend, ILB and safety. (I'm talking REALISTIC options here: not pipe dreams) Thoughts?
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Thanks, man.

If I'm targeting Still or Worthy, then I'm looking to trade down. I'm only staying at 14 if I'm getting an elite T/G or OLB.

There just isn't a DT in this draft that I think is worth more than a trade down and accumulating more picks.
  7. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    LSU DT? Spears starter kit?
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received
    Yeah, those are my feelings.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    and Glenn Dorsey and the list goes on.
    Just something about LSU DTs

The only problem I have with Brokers is that he only had one year. That sccares me at 14.
  10. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Interesting that he has three OT's in the top ten. Might make the whole freed tee to guard scenario a little more likely.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Doug Free is not a G why would we take a player and put him in at a position he has no experiance at?
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,885 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    It is one of the most illogical ideas you'll hear on these boards but is repeated daily....

Free is not anywhere near an OG. He can't always handle DE strength but we should ask him to face 300 pounds guys every down?

This won't happen. Period.

We are not drafting an OT in the first round unless it is with the idea of playing him at Guard(at least at first).
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,089 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    The Kirkpatrick drop has to be based purely on the weed charge I would assume? He hasn't been seen in action since the national champship game and at that time he was a definite top 12 prospect. Either that or Mel watched some tape and didnt like what he saw.
  14. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Does anyone have any footage of DeCastro going up against a top defensive tackle? The only top DT prospect I can find in the the Pac 10 was Ta'amu (who's currently ranked as the 12th best DT on CBSSportsline), and reportedly DeCastro rarely faced off against him when they played. The next best Pac 10 DT I see listed is Nate Chandler, the 48th ranked DT in the draft who is probably undrafted free agent caliber.

If you're taking a guard with a Top 15 pick, don't you want to see him a few times lined up helmet to helmet against NFL caliber DT/NG talent and bulldoze him? Especially a guy who doesn't have the biggest frame in the world. If I'm drafting an offensive guard with a Top 15 pick, I want to know I can run right up his butt on a 3rd and 1 and he's going to cave in his side of the line and push the line of scrimmage forwards ... not merely get a decent seal block on his assigned guy.
  15. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,076 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Yeah. Kiper has him @ #23, and Mayock has him rated as ~5th best CB. Looks like my hope of us passing on him is coming true. Thank you Lawd!
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    USC OT? Jacob Rogers starter kit? Ridiculous, everybody is their own case.
  17. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....sloppy post by me initially: we would trade down to 20ish to get WOrthy and get an extra what..........2nd or 3rd rounder? That could work: I notice Kuiper has Cox,Brockers,and Poe ALL ahead of WOrthy: do you agree with that? (full disclosure: I'm not a big Mel Kuiper fan)
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    I guess all the pro scouts that have been drooling about him are full of crap, eh?
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    No. They're not full of crap. That would imply they're lying. They're merely projecting, in the absence of proof on film, that he's going to be able move 320 lbs. NFL caliber defensive tackles and nose guards. I guess for some people projections are good enough. When we're talking about drafting a non premium position with a Top 15 pick, I would prefer proof on film. When scouts are asked to blindly project they have a pretty shaky history.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received

why would they say this if they had not seen him do it?